Trade these four players | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade these four players

Daunte Culpepper I think we should trade him for a pick or Trent Green

LJ Shelton He is a very good guard and we should keep him

Marty Booker I think Marty Booker has earned his spot on this team he is a WR

Renaldo Hill Why would you want to get rid of him he is very good and he makes plays

The draft is uncertain. No one knows how a college player will make it in the NFL. Why does everyone want to cut most of our current team, let alone some of our better starters and pray we get someone in the draft that may or maynot even make the team. Madden is nothing like the NFL.

I can't wait til the draft or preseason for that matter so people will start posting about important stuff that is actually going on or happening soon. I am not sure who posted it but they are about right on how people would trade away our entire team for a second round pick.

Trans good post on TG but, I do not see how you think Dlockz is exaggerating. You backed up his point right here and he raises a good point of TG being just as washed up as you think CPep is?

Thank You, Green had his concussion in Septemember and was still a bad Qb
in the month of december. If all these people are screaming that Pepe is washed up, how is it that Green at 37 is just as likely washed up. Money is not the only reason they feel confident in Huard.

Ok, again I will address the Huard issue. It's a COMBINATION of issues with the money being the trigger issue. Listen, it's a no brainer......if you've got a guy like Huard who can serviceably handle the offense (which is focused around LJ) at less than half the cost of Green, you make the smart move.........Green's not the make-or-break of the offense nor was he meant to be.

As for why I want Green (if I had to choose between he and Culpepper and if I was ever given the say-so I wouldn't take either):

1. He comes cheaper than Culepper. He's already agreed to his performance-incentive laden contract with the Dolphins. All that's left to do is haggle about compensation.
2. He's enjoyed tremendous, consistent success in the NFL prior to his injury when Daunte's play had fallen off in the 7 games prior to his injury not to mention a career that consists of 3 really good seasons and 3 average ones. Green was thrown into the mix at the end of the year when the team had already adjusted to Huard so I can't hold that against him. Let's not forget it's common sense to assume he's rusty.
3. The Dolphins staff consider him ready to go. He meshes with our staff perfectly. Green has experience and is familiar with Cameron, regardless of whether or not it was 10 years ago and he specifically states that. He's also worked with Terry O'Shea our, QB coach, who worked with Green for many years in KC.
4. Green's 100% ready to play. He could partake 100% in all mini-camps. He's already got foundation of knowledge with the offense. Daunte has neither of those two.
5. In business you learn when to cut your losses. DC's whole situation was mishandled by himself and everyone around him. The 2nd rounder is of no significance to me. It was a wasted pick by a prior regime and as we always learn, new regime's want new QB's. Wanny wanted Fiedler. Saban wanted Brees or Culpper, and Cameron's going to want his guy.

My contention is why would a good team just let thier Qb walk if they were not confident that others could do as good a job. I have have never seen a playoff contending team let an established starter gor for a second year guy who rarely played and lifetime journeyman. There is more to this than money.

You haven't? How long have you been watching the NFL? As somebody mentioned Marino to Fiedler for one.

Both QB's aren't exactly the cats meow, but c'mon let's not begin to stack Huard's 10 games to Green's entire career. All variables considered, Green is too expensive and coming off a major concussion with a backup capable (at less than half the cost) of holding the reigns down for an offense designed around LJ who coincidentally is owed the league's most expensive contract at the end of the year. It's not a hard puzzle to piece together. And Huard is not a "2nd year guy." He's a veteran.

I think the only one of those guys that might actully be traded is Renaldo Hill. Yes he was our best defensive back next year, but we can get a decent pick for him and it puts Jason Allen in the starting lineup. I'm actully on the trade Hill bandwagon because I don't want our first round pick on the pine for 2 years.

Are you saying we'd save $15.5M this year by trading or releasing those players? If so, sorry - that's not how the salary cap works.

For example, Culpepper's 2007 portion of the signing bonus he got last year is $1.4M. His base salary is $5.5M - so his cap hit is $6.9M.

You can't save the $1.4M no matter what you do (it's already spent money) - and the remaining $4.2M of unamortized bonus would have to be absorbed either in this year's cap or next years. So basically, you would save $5.5M this year with $5.6M of dead money.

Shelton and Hill also have bonuses that would be accelerated and dead money to deal with. Booker doesn't because the Bears had to absorb his unamortized bonus money when they traded him.

Your totally right, great way to explain the reality.

You haven't? How long have you been watching the NFL? As somebody mentioned Marino to Fiedler for one.

Both QB's aren't exactly the cats meow, but c'mon let's not begin to stack Huard's 10 games to Green's entire career. All variables considered, Green is too expensive and coming off a major concussion with a backup capable (at less than half the cost) of holding the reigns down for an offense designed around LJ who coincidentally is owed the league's most expensive contract at the end of the year. It's not a hard puzzle to piece together. And Huard is not a "2nd year guy." He's a veteran.

You misunderstood my statement the second year guy i was referring to was Croyle. I am quite familiar with Huard because he should have been our starter over Fielder but neither were very good. I dont know trans name the team that gives up on a former all pro Qb for a 10 year journeyman when you are a super bowl contender. The concussion plays no role in my opinion, three months after the concusion he was sucking up the place and now KC is comfortbale with Huard taking over because of cost and performance. If they felt Green was the same player he has been then they would have no problem spending that money on green. I still stand by my statement that we are looking at Green as a just in case if Culpepper cannot return. Don't make much sense for a team to give up on a great QB as some see it, I don't to have Huard lead a playoff team if they feel he is still good.

Trade these four players and eliminate their cap hits:

Daunte Culpepper....................6.9 million
LJ Shelton..............................2.9 million
Marty Booker...........................3.7 million
Renaldo Hill..............................2.0 million

Total....................................15.5 million

Our cap situation would be OK the rest of this year and would be real good next offseason.

I beleive Hagan is ready to replace Booker and I support drafting Ginn after trading down. Booker's age is a factor.

I think obtaining Trent Green is an improvement over Daunte.

I think we can do just as well with Toledo or by drafting Grubbs,Sears,Blaylock,Free,Ugoh,Satele as we have with Shelton. He is 31.

I like Hill but I think we can draft a playmaker or two in this years draft.
Very high on Michael Griffin,John Wendling,Rouse and Piscetelli,even Dahl.

Should we keep the players or take a pick or two and save the money for other possibilities and/or the future benefits??

Easier said than done. No one will trade us for them save for very low draft picks and trash players.

You misunderstood my statement the second year guy i was referring to was Croyle. I am quite familiar with Huard because he should have been our starter over Fielder but neither were very good. I dont know trans name the team that gives up on a former all pro Qb for a 10 year journeyman when you are a super bowl contender. The concussion plays no role in my opinion, three months after the concusion he was sucking up the place and now KC is comfortbale with Huard taking over because of cost and performance. If they felt Green was the same player he has been then they would have no problem spending that money on green. I still stand by my statement that we are looking at Green as a just in case if Culpepper cannot return. Don't make much sense for a team to give up on a great QB as some see it, I don't to have Huard lead a playoff team if they feel he is still good.

KC's a Superbowl contender?

You're still not hearing me. 7 million a year for ANY QB outside of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady is too much. They made a sound decision to not pay Green that kind of dough. He would've been KEPT provided he RESTRUCTURED. What part of that equation don't you understand? They didn't just go "You know Huard played so well last year, sorry Trent, gotta let you go."

.........and Green's not this outstanding QB who was let walk away like you're making it out to be. He's been a solid, consistent starter and underappreciated in many regards. You exaggerate the story as though this is some game-breaker who was let go because he suddenly forgot how to play.

Transcendental said:
No offense, but you no absolutely nothing about the value of Renaldo Hill. We appreciate your generalizations, but Hill was a rock back there in the secondary. He's worth every penny.

I wasn't knocking Hill because how good or bad he was is immaterial. I was replying to the poster who said Miami could just draft somebody better. The fact is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence (ie, that draft pick could very well be far worse than the player he's picked to "replace").

I wasn't knocking Hill because how good or bad he was is immaterial. I was replying to the poster who said Miami could just draft somebody better. The fact is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence (ie, that draft pick could very well be far worse than the player he's picked to "replace").

Well whoever said that is mentally handicapped and didn't watch any Dolphin games last season. I was personally excited for him having seen him play for the Cardinals and Raiders prior.

Are you saying we'd save $15.5M this year by trading or releasing those players? If so, sorry - that's not how the salary cap works.

For example, Culpepper's 2007 portion of the signing bonus he got last year is $1.4M. His base salary is $5.5M - so his cap hit is $6.9M.

You can't save the $1.4M no matter what you do (it's already spent money) - and the remaining $4.2M of unamortized bonus would have to be absorbed either in this year's cap or next years. So basically, you would save $5.5M this year with $5.6M of dead money.

Shelton and Hill also have bonuses that would be accelerated and dead money to deal with. Booker doesn't because the Bears had to absorb his unamortized bonus money when they traded him.

I guess the thread was too vague, my apologies. The whole point of the trades was to incur the dead cap this year and eat as much as possible creating greater cap space for next years offseason.

I didn't see any of these players as difficult to replace and DC is a didaster and we are going to have to pay for that huge mistake sooner or later we might as well try to get something for him and bite the bullet.

Booker didn't play bad but he didn't play good either, and comparing him to other Dolphin receivers saying he was our best receiver says absolutely nothing about how good he is. The standard is so low this arguement is absurd. It's like saying I did great on a test because I got a D and the others got F's. Nobody did well! The 3.7 million helps us eat a lot of Daunte's mess.

The Shelton and Hill dead money is real but its nothing compared to Daunte's.
We could eat it. It would probably help to trade down out of the top ten anyway.

KC's a Superbowl contender?

You're still not hearing me. 7 million a year for ANY QB outside of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady is too much. They made a sound decision to not pay Green that kind of dough. He would've been KEPT provided he RESTRUCTURED. What part of that equation don't you understand? They didn't just go "You know Huard played so well last year, sorry Trent, gotta let you go."

.........and Green's not this outstanding QB who was let walk away like you're making it out to be. He's been a solid, consistent starter and underappreciated in many regards. You exaggerate the story as though this is some game-breaker who was let go because he suddenly forgot how to play.[/quote

No he is now 37 an age where almost all Qb's decline and three months after the concussion he was not playing well at all. KC has a good enough team to play in the Super Bowl, much closer than us.

dlockz" said:
No he is now 37 an age where almost all Qb's decline and three months after the concussion he was not playing well at all. KC has a good enough team to play in the Super Bowl, much closer than us.

Oh please. They have bigtime defensive issues which they've had for a decade now. They're offensive line no longer features Willie Roaf and they now employ Damien McIntosh as their starting left tackle. If you think having Damon Huard makes you an obvious Super Bowl contender you're kidding yourself. They have a big question mark by their QB position now that they've decided to use a journeyman backup as their permanent starter eh hem caretaker until a drafted QB can be ready.

They're farther along than us, but not by a huge gap.

So 37 is the age that defines the drop off in production? Says who?

Oh please. They have bigtime defensive issues which they've had for a decade now. They're offensive line no longer features Willie Roaf and they now employ Damien McIntosh as their starting left tackle. If you think having Damon Huard makes you an obvious Super Bowl contender you're kidding yourself. They have a big question mark by their QB position now that they've decided to use a journeyman backup as their permanent starter eh hem caretaker until a drafted QB can be ready.

So 37 is the age that defines the drop off in production? Says who?

says green's performance three months after the concussion, which is plenty of time and Kc's wanting to go with the journeyman.

Back
Top Bottom