Trading Surtain may come back to haunt us... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading Surtain may come back to haunt us...

fishfan34 said:
OMG, are you kidding me with the "we're going to get lit up" talk? LMAO!!!!! I'm sure that because of the loss of one cornerback, we're going to go from stout and dominating to getting lit up.... LMAO. if that's the case, then our problems are bigger than just losing a CB. Please, get real! The fact is, NOBODY knows what our secondary with or without Poole is capable of. How about we give these guys a chance before we start with the, we'll get lit up talk? Are you telling me, that there is NOBODY out there in free agency that we can pick up that is as good as a second year player (first time in this system) is? Give Nick Saban more credit than that please!
It's not losing ONE cornerback. Losing the depth on our team is what's gonna hurt us. We've lost Surtain & Poole, two out of our three best corners. We might be ok in the long term, but there's gonna be some growing pains; that's for sure. Thank God we still have Howard.

fishfan34 said:
I agree, JC... the Cap $$ for future financial consideration was as important if not more important than anything concerning that trade. We probably would have lost him for no compensation next year... instead, we pickup a monster DE and clear $$... sorry, not buying that losing Poole after trading surtain is going to come back and haunt us..

I'm with you. The Surtain trade was a great all around business move. I can't believe all the second guessing.

Agua said:
The same way they question the Feeley move when it was beyond question that we had to make an upgrade at QB [nevermind he produced the best of any FA QB that was available]; the Boston move when everyone couldn't believe we picked him up for a 6th and incentive/min salary; the Carey move when the 95% of the board knew we had to get OL with UM homers screaming for Carey; the RW deal (nevermind 95% soundly supported 2 #1 in light of the production he provided); the Ogun deal when he was going to sit out for 10 games then leave, with us receiving nothing .... It goes on and on and on with these bunch of nancy, after the fact GMs around here.

Unfortunately the second guessing will never stop. It annoys the heck out of me. The same people second guessing the Surtain trade would be the same b!tch!ng about him leaving at the end of the year without us getting any compensation.

If we can get Ty Law for a decent price, thats the route I would go. We may be able to get him cheap too considering he is coming off a huge injury. I would be happy with this move just as long as we don't pay a lot for him.

People have to understand that this is gunna be a completely different defense than last year! we arnt gunna be trying to get pressure on the QB with just the front 4 while putting our corners alone on an island in 1v1 man coverage. we are gunna be using alot of zone coverage which doesnt require "shutdown" corners. all we need are serviceable corners while pressuring the hell out of the QB. Look at what NE did to Payton Manning and his offense in the playoffs with BACKUP cornerbacks?!?!

Now could we use some depth by signing a FA? yes. Depth never hurts and we probably will pick up a servicable CB for a relativly cheap one-year contract.

Nasty

Predaphin said:
Trading Surtain may come back to haunt us....Although I'm happy with having Matt Roth on our team, I hated the fact that we traded away Surtain and now with Poole maybe gone for the year, I hate this move even more. This may have been the worse offseason move of the year and we may be in trouble at the CB position.

36_1_46-1.gif
36_1_46-1.gif

If we wasnt going to take apay cut it would only hurt us

I didn't read everyones posts, but I am being realistic, to think we are going to be good this year is kinda crazy. A new coach, all new schemes, we will have a ton of rookies and next offseason we will see the same thing... a whole lot of turnover. To even think we will be good next year boggles my mind...

Wagon Circler said:
You guys traded Surtain for Matt Roth. I wouldn't really call that a good move.

you forgot to add a boat load of cap space :)

Wagon Circler said:

I can see you thoroughly analyzed all issues involved in the trade. Good Job. :shakeno:

Wagon Circler said:

Considering Surtains cap hit, and that we wouldnt have been able to keep him after this year your statement is EXTREMELY ignorant. If we didnt trade him he would have left the team next year and we wouldnt have received any compensation, it makes a lot of sense to do that :shakeno:

The smartest thing Avon Coburne ever did was switch to CB. I would really like to see him compete for the Nickle spot now. Saban said he was performing well there in camp. I would feel much better now if Corey Webster had slid to us in the 2nd, but we will be fine. The pass rush will give us some room for error. Surtain needed to go for the future of this team.

DonShula84 said:
Considering Surtains cap hit, and that we wouldnt have been able to keep him after this year your statement is EXTREMELY ignorant. If we didnt trade him he would have left the team next year and we wouldnt have received any compensation, it makes a lot of sense to do that :shakeno:

What do you expect from one of Finheavens biggest trolls?

Wagon Circler said:

Roth and over 6 million dollars in cap space.

Back
Top Bottom