Training Camp Day 10 | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Day 10

I expect a lot of two and three TE sets near the goal line with Gesicki being the primary target. We have had a jump ball winner like him since maybe Orande Gadsden.

Yeah they are gonna try to scheme iso with him and force teams to shade him or pay for it.

Good lord so he was going down and probably threw it up for grabs.

Amazing how easy that was to visualize with Brock at QB lol

Which is exactly what I would want my qbs doing in practice. Just because the qb qould have been sacked doesn't mean we should waste an opportunity to see a db and receiver battle for a ball. In games you don't throw those passes up for grabs, but in practice I have no problem with it. That's why I think qb int tracking in practice can be misleading.

Gase doesn't like tipping off his plays. If Gesicki can't block he won't be playing much, if at all. TEs in the NFL have to block, its part of their job description. If you're only going to use him as a receiver then you might as well just split him out wide and call him a WR.

It's not on a the coaches if he whiffs on a block...well, maybe for trusting him to carry out his assignment. It's not the coaches fault when Tunsil gets whipped at the line, they expect him to be able to block on an island most of the time.

It's Tunsil's primary job to keep his QB clean. Just don't see any situation where you'd want Gesicki blocking a lineman or linebacker in pass pro when you've more than capable blockers in Drake or Gore, risking way too much for what is likely a gimmick play.

Complete tightends are about as rare as franchise quarterbacks and the game is full of athletic pass catching tightends that couldn't block as rookies who still managed to carve very good careers for themselves. E.g. Shannon Sharpe, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham etc

Would prefer for them to concentrate on what he can do and coach up what he can't and Gesicki can impact the scoreboard from the off.

Which is exactly what I would want my qbs doing in practice. Just because the qb qould have been sacked doesn't mean we should waste an opportunity to see a db and receiver battle for a ball. In games you don't throw those passes up for grabs, but in practice I have no problem with it. That's why I think qb int tracking in practice can be misleading.

I think with Brock, they probably should make more emphasis on decision making . . . .but it’s a fair point if scripted that way.

A 15+ sack increase after losing Suh and adding Quinn? Makes sense.
Suh had 4.5 sacks last year and he rarely came out. I think he played about 85% of the snaps.

Branch played much of the season hurt, Wake disappeared cause he got wore out from playing so much and Hayes was lost for the season but when he was in he lived in the backfield...and they rarely played him which made no sense.
Quinn is a beast...major upgrade opposite Wake. Phillips has shown he can get upfield, sometimes better than Suh did. Godchaux was just a rookie last year and plays very well...should be improved as well as Charles Harris.

The number of sacks we had last year was remarkably low...one of the worst seasons in Dolphins history as far as team sack numbers. None of our LBs could blitz (we have more speed now with McMillan in the middle), we rarely blitz from the corner (should see an increase of that with Fitzpatrick) and our DBs should be better as a whole making the QBs hold the ball a little longer. All of those factors should lead to much better sack numbers.

Minkah is never going to win that 1 on 1 with a guy like Gesicki with any consistency. Situations like that are where I noted in my draft threads many times that I felt he was overmatched with a guy like Auden Tate....much less a guy like Gesicki.

It's why I didn't have a top 5 grade on him.

Damn u watch a lot of college football lol, props.

I formed my bullish opinion on McMillan based on your insight, u better be right!

It's Tunsil's primary job to keep his QB clean. Just don't see any situation where you'd want Gesicki blocking a lineman or linebacker in pass pro when you've more than capable blockers in Drake or Gore, risking way too much for what is likely a gimmick play.

Complete tightends are about as rare as franchise quarterbacks and the game is full of athletic pass catching tightends that couldn't block as rookies who still managed to carve very good careers for themselves. E.g. Shannon Sharpe, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham etc

Would prefer for them to concentrate on what he can do and coach up what he can't and Gesicki can impact the scoreboard from the off.
Unless Gesicki is the hot read on every blitz...he's going to have to learn to block. He's not blocking a DE mind you...he's letting a Safety blow right by him on a blitz. He will get blitzed a lot in the NFL as a rookie. It's always the toughest thing to learn for TEs, even the ones that can block. He'll be asked to chip on his way out in pass patterns and he has to learn to recognize the blitz. Everyone has assignments...if they come with a blitz from the corner and a linebacker up the middle the RB has to take the linebacker, that leaves the TE to pick up the corner/safety...that's his job.

Mike Gesicki continually scoring TDs on Minkah Fitzpatrick is exciting in multiple ways.

1. The 1st and most obvious is, Gesicki looks to be a tough to almost impossible person to cover in the endzone. The Ryan Tannehill run offense has been great at getting to the redzone, but the Offense stalls far too much, this will make things far more interesting once we reach it, and considering Maimi has a RB like Gore that can reach the endzone at a high rate, this is going to be exciting.

2. The 2nd, to all the Fitzpatrick fans out there, Minkah is very talented, with premium athletic abilities, but what makes him special is his smarts, he is a very cerebral type player, and tends to learn quickly with hard work. Minkah going against someone as tough to cover in the endzone as Gisicki, will in the end make Minkah much better in coverage against TEs (Our biggest weakness on defense) which will make it even tougher to pass against Miami.

Last edited:
Gesicki is gonna be red zone and spread year 1.
I also think his size an ability give the D at least a little taste to practice against what Gronk can do. Not comparing the 2 at this stage, but the catch radius and mismatch will be similar and help to see and practice against it, which is hard to simulate. Hopefully he can develop some of Gronk's physicality without his prone to injury.

@OmarKelly: “They are not going to let up on me. They are going to make me become a complete tight end,” Mike Gesicki said about his blocking.

And well they should not let up on him as other teams will attack his weakness......kind of like in the NBA, how they intentionally foul a guy who is a solid rebounder and defender, but can't hit a free throw to save his life! I like his attitude towards it, it seems like he knows he is not going to get by just catching passes.

Back
Top Bottom