Training Camp Updates | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Updates

Exactly my concern although I don't think there is a chance we could win 8 games with Dan Marino at quarterback.
I hope you are exaggerating for effect, because Dan could win 10 games with a putrid D, and no running game........wait.....actually Dan did exactly that for most of his career.

Last edited:
Oh I completely agree but with one caveat: 8 wins with Rosen shows we might have our franchise qb, 8 wins with Fitz contributing some or most costs us our chance for a franchise qb and is a complete and utter disaster.

Possibly, but I doubt Flores will factor wins into his QB evaluation.

Oh I completely agree but with one caveat: 8 wins with Rosen shows we might have our franchise qb, 8 wins with Fitz contributing some or most costs us our chance for a franchise qb and is a complete and utter disaster.
Yeah, but Fitz isn't good enough to turn a 2-14 team into 8-8. If we go 8-8 with Fitz (which we won't, since Rosen will play, unless he well and truly sucks), it means we hit on many players and our coaching staff rocks. That's good news! OTOH, yes, we'd miss on the chance at a top-tier QB prospect... but still going 8-8 with Fitz is not the worst case. The truly worst case is being a black-hole of suck, drafting a QB #1 overall and then having that QB bust. Then we have nothing. No talent, no QB, no coach. I'd rather take door #1.

Exactly my concern although I don't think there is a chance we could win 8 games with Dan Marino at quarterback.

I guess I’m in the small group that has us winning 6 games (similar roster and most likely better coaching) so getting to 8 isn’t much of a stretch for me.

Yeah, but Fitz isn't good enough to turn a 2-14 team into 8-8. If we go 8-8 with Fitz (which we won't, since Rosen will play, unless he well and truly sucks), it means we hit on many players and our coaching staff rocks. That's good news! OTOH, yes, we'd miss on the chance at a top-tier QB prospect... but still going 8-8 with Fitz is not the worst case. The truly worst case is being a black-hole of suck, drafting a QB #1 overall and then having that QB bust. Then we have nothing. No talent, no QB, no coach. I'd rather take door #1.

IMO There no way we only win 2 games this year. Our roster is similar to last year, schedule too. I truly believe that Gase’s play calling and roster management coupled with Burke’s terrible scheme and being grossly in over his head made this team worse than their record. So we should at least be around the same at worse but a little better if Flores and co are any semblance of competent.

That said swinging and missing with the first overall pick is much better than the qb purgatory we’ve been in for nearly 2 decades. If we miss this time, we at the very least get another chance to swing again.

Makes sense to me although we gonna be pretty soft at the poa lb level with Kiko and Baker

Yeah and they'll work around that base 4-2-5 with several different personnel packages to account for certain situations. Heavy packages where they may have 3 true DT's on the LOS and 1 DE. Rabbit packages where the Jack linebacker walks down and puts his hand on the ground to rush from a DE spot (1LB, 1DE, 2 DT's)

Speed packages where they have 2 DE's lined up inside and 2 LB's rushing from DE spots with their hand on the ground.

But they'll always try to disguise where the extra guy is coming from from. The defense will constantly be moving and changing based on personnel.

You'll have the same sort of fluidity in terms of personnel out of 6 and 7 DB packages. They'll just find what works best from week to week depending on the opponent. It's the Saban/Belichick style of matching up. The assistant coaches will have to be on point in terms of substitutions to avoid stupid penalties like 12 men on the field, etc.

It's usually not as big of a deal in the NFL because offenses don't vary as much as they do in college. But I've seen it cost Alabama so many times. Causing Saban to go berserk on the sidelines. I can see Flores suffering the same agony a few times during the season.

I guess I’m in the small group that has us winning 6 games (similar roster and most likely better coaching) so getting to 8 isn’t much of a stretch for me.

I'm with you. It's tough to be really good in the NFL but it's also tough to really suck. As long as the wheels don't fall off injury wise this is probably a 5-11 to 8-8 team. In today's league you need to be able to pass and stop the pass. Our QB's and pass rushers are a major question mark but I think we'll have a strong secondary.

Our base D may depend on opponent. If "multiples" is the reality, anyway.

It actually sounds like Raekwon was demoted and Sam Eguaoven started over him in the base 4-3. I wouldn't read too much into day 1 of training camp, but somewhat troubling.

I personally want to win many games with Rosen, but if we win with Fitzpatrick, it will not kill me.

It actually sounds like Raekwon was demoted and Sam Eguaoven started over him in the base 4-3. I wouldn't read too much into day 1 of training camp, but somewhat troubling.

IDK about troubling. If he's not the best man for the job, so be it.

Of course it is possible that it's a motivational thing.

Back
Top Bottom