Training Camp Updates | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Updates

Rabbit packages with Jack lb being the 5th round pick Wisconsin kid?

They better disguise it damn well cause they sure don’t have much win one on one pass rush talent.

Better find ways to free guys up

Last edited:
Our base D may depend on opponent. If "multiples" is the reality, anyway.

I think it’s just headed towards a lot more package based play and guys on the field for specific packages and off the field for others.

Minus probably dbs like x and minkah who should play every down in every package

I honestly think that if we had Fitzpatrick instead of Thill we would have made multiple playoff appearances with the talent we have...but then again I think about our oline and poof! my opinion goes out the window
Sorry, but you are highly overestimating the Ewok's abilities. He couldn't even keep J. Winston off the field.

Yeah and they'll work around that base 4-2-5 with several different personnel packages to account for certain situations. Heavy packages where they may have 3 true DT's on the LOS and 1 DE. Rabbit packages where the Jack linebacker walks down and puts his hand on the ground to rush from a DE spot (1LB, 1DE, 2 DT's)

Speed packages where they have 2 DE's lined up inside and 2 LB's rushing from DE spots with their hand on the ground.

But they'll always try to disguise where the extra guy is coming from from. The defense will constantly be moving and changing based on personnel.

You'll have the same sort of fluidity in terms of personnel out of 6 and 7 DB packages. They'll just find what works best from week to week depending on the opponent. It's the Saban/Belichick style of matching up. The assistant coaches will have to be on point in terms of substitutions to avoid stupid penalties like 12 men on the field, etc.

It's usually not as big of a deal in the NFL because offenses don't vary as much as they do in college. But I've seen it cost Alabama so many times. Causing Saban to go berserk on the sidelines. I can see Flores suffering the same agony a few times during the season.

I think the defense will only be 15% Base, at most.

Worth noting they'll probably be using Diamond/Ruby fronts to get that heavier look when needed, regardless of what they're doing from a personnel standpoint. That's one thing the Patriots do very well. They don't always strategically rotate the personnel by situation, but they will tighten up into that bear look. Conversely in other situations they'll widen up into an Extend front, putting a lot of pressure on the Mike to beat the Center with speed and/or length (hence they may favor Jerome Baker there instead of Raekwon).

Last edited:
What do guy's make of McMillan and M. Fitzpatrick getting more 2nd team work than 1st team - tough love???

Rabbit packages with Jack lb being the 5th round pick Wisconsin kid?

They better disguise it damn well cause they sure don’t have much win one on one pass rush talent.

Better find ways to free guys up

Probably, and I think you're going to see some experiments with a Tite front also. It's prevalent in certain college defenses (the better and more complex ones) that defend elements of spread offenses the best. You saw it some at Wisconsin if you scouted Van Ginkel.

Guys aren't just going to be relied on to line up and fly around the corner of offensive tackles for pressure on opposing QB's. They're going to create gaps in the opposing offensive line by how they line up and loop guys through those gaps to apply pressure. Disguising when and where those loopers are coming from.

Guys, I promise you these coaches are miles ahead of what you've been seeing out of scams like the Wide-9 and Matt Burke.

Which is why all this talk to a 3 win team is absurd.... Good coaching will never produce a three win team. Never ever. The talent is not that much difference between teams in the NFL. Coaching by far and away is more important.

Back
Top Bottom