4. Montana
5. Brady

SackArtist said:
1. Peyton Manning
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Dan Marino
4. Montana
5. Brady

You're kidding, right? Peyton on top? What has he did that Marino didn't do just as good or better for a longer period of time?

kastofsna120 said:
your indecisiveness on unitas is hysterical

No, it called there being an argument for those two, and agument can just as easily for Marino. For Brady and Elway, the only argumant you can make is they won superbowls, which is not much of an argument if you consider what teams they were on.

brady is simply the best QB in the game today, and no one is really close. he's had a great defense, blah blah. of course he has. you NEED a great defense to win a super bowl. but look at brady on OFFENSE, as that's what we're talking about. brady is as clutch as they come, and i'm not talking about playoff games. i can't even count how many times over the past 4 years that i watched a patriots game on TV and it was like 3rd and 9, and i said to myself "allright they'll have to kick after this" and what happens? brady throws a 11-yard out route, or a 15-yard post to the slot receiver, or whatever. he controls the clock, he keeps his defense on the sidelines, and he does this against EVERY defense, whether they're ranked 32nd or 1st (see the AFC championship game last year), and he's done it with NO threat of a running game (see 2003). didn't the pats have a streak for 3 years where they scored first in every single game? and here's an interesting thought: every game that brady has thrown 3 INTs or more, the patriots are 0-4. maybe his play is somewhat vital to their success?

and did anyone see the play on 4th and 1 last night? a slant on 4th and 1?? perfect

and i've changed my mind, marino is 6th best. favre is better than him, too

kastofsna120 said:
1: montana
2: unitas
3: elway
4: brady
5: marino

I don't think Marino is the best and I never saw Unitas play so I can't give an opinion on someone that I can only look up numbers on my Qb list goes:
1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Young
4. Brady
5. Marino

If people really have an open mind and aren't blinded by being a Dolphins fan there is very good possibility that Brady is considered the best Qb ever by the time he retires. The guy has won 3/4 years in an era of parity and with a couple of moves in the offseason the Pats are a SB contender again. Brady is undefeated in the postseason which is amazing, the guy is clutch but too often people get caught up in the statistics. If Marino had a better team around him and a great running game, he probably does not have as great of a career statistically.

If Marino had been on the 49er's instead of Montana they would have won 6+ Super Bowls And would have left no question as to who the #1 QB of alltime is.

kastofsna120 said:
brady is simply the best QB in the game today, and no one is really close. he's had a great defense, blah blah. of course he has. you NEED a great defense to win a super bowl. but look at brady on OFFENSE, as that's what we're talking about. brady is as clutch as they come, and i'm not talking about playoff games. i can't even count how many times over the past 4 years that i watched a patriots game on TV and it was like 3rd and 9, and i said to myself "allright they'll have to kick after this" and what happens? brady throws a 11-yard out route, or a 15-yard post to the slot receiver, or whatever. he controls the clock, he keeps his defense on the sidelines, and he does this against EVERY defense, whether they're ranked 32nd or 1st (see the AFC championship game last year), and he's done it with NO threat of a running game (see 2003). didn't the pats have a streak for 3 years where they scored first in every single game? and here's an interesting thought: every game that brady has thrown 3 INTs or more, the patriots are 0-4. maybe his play is somewhat vital to their success?

and did anyone see the play on 4th and 1 last night? a slant on 4th and 1?? perfect

Everything in bold above, could be used to describe Marino.........yet you only use it to describe Brady.......why no love for Marino?
Danny did it without today's pass interference rules, too. Look at the stats, Marino "carried" his team much more than Brady does.

Marino had no defense to help him.... (unlike Brady. You said it yourself, you need a good Defense to win the SB.......so why hold that against Marino?)

Marino had no running game to speak of either.....even less so than Brady.
When Marino had 3 INTs or more, I'm sure the Fins were bad, too....Marino was EVEN MORE VITAL to the Fin's success than Brady (cause Brady has a good Defense, etc)

Did you see what Danny did to the 1985 Chicago Bears defense (just off the top of my head)? Edit: And the 85 Bears defense is considered by many as the GREATEST Defense of ALL-TIME..... :eek:

No love for Marino??? :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

:0wned:

kastofsna120 said:
name some of the players on the niners offense in 1981. there's montana, dwight clark and........? their best runningbacks were Ricky Patton and Earl Cooper. not necessarily worldbeaters. they were ranked 19th in the league in rushing that year, btw. they had no running game and yet won the super bowl. why? JOE MONTANA. kinda like brady. the 2003 patriots had the 27th ranked running game, and still managed to blowout teams, as well as win all the close ones. it's very simple: montana and brady are ELITE quarterbacks. if you don't think so, you just don't know the facts. montana was great BEFORE his 2nd super bowl victory

San Francisco won the Super Bowl that year 26-21, with the Bengals scoring a touchdown in the final seconds when the game was practically decided anyway. While a running game isn't absolutely necessary to win the Super Bowl, a defense is, and Marino never had that.

You're wrong if you think Montana could do what Marino couldn't - what no quarterback could, not even Manning - and that's carry a team to a Super Bowl victory without any help from a running game or a defense.

djfresh47 said:
I don't think Marino is the best and I never saw Unitas play so I can't give an opinion on someone that I can only look up numbers on my Qb list goes:
1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Young
4. Brady
5. Marino

If people really have an open mind and aren't blinded by being a Dolphins fan there is very good possibility that Brady is considered the best Qb ever by the time he retires. The guy has won 3/4 years in an era of parity and with a couple of moves in the offseason the Pats are a SB contender again. Brady is undefeated in the postseason which is amazing, the guy is clutch but too often people get caught up in the statistics. If Marino had a better team around him and a great running game, he probably does not have as great of a career statistically.

"get caught up in the statistics"

Here's why --- Statistics show what you've done--individually. Super Bowls show what your TEAM has done (yes, with the QB's help, but nonetheless, a TEAM accomplishment). Why do you think they bother to keep NFL records??? BECAUSE IT'S A GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT. When 1 QB dominates the statistics so thoroughly, year in and year out, it shows he's awesome.

"If Marino had a better team around him and a great running game, he probably does not have as great of a career statistically"

But, if that were the case, he would've also had MULTIPLE Super Bowls as well....
Put Dan Marino on the San Francisco team of the 1980s, with a top 5 Defense, awesome running game (R. Craig, etc), Jerry Rice & Co. to throw to, and GUARANTEED Marino would've had 6 Super Bowls. Are you kidding me???

It's funny how people fail to realize that Dan Marino was able to consistently put up MIND-BOGGLING STATISTICS EVERY YEAR, even though everyone knew the Fins were one-dimensional, and game-planned to stop him at every cost.
Despite that, he STILL PUT UP THOSE NUMBERS. WOW!!!!
Stop making excuses for the inferior QBs (with good teams helping them win SBs), and own up to how great Marino was....

lol, marino is nothing in the clutch compared to brady. are you kidding me? he probably threw more picks on 3rd down than any QB in the history of the game

the 3 interceptions stat is important because despite the great defense the patriots have, brady's bad performances still put a notch in the loss column. the ravens' defense of a few years ago and the bucs from '02 would win games despite their QB's poor performances, so how great is the patriots defense really? and how many times has the pats defense allowed a late game TD drive, only to have brady counter it with his own?

brady > marino

Mile High Fin said:
But, if that were the case, he would've also had MULTIPLE Super Bowls as well....
Put Dan Marino on the San Francisco team of the 1980s, with a top 5 Defense, awesome running game (R. Craig, etc), Jerry Rice & Co. to throw to, and GUARANTEED Marino would've had 6 Super Bowls. Are you kidding me???
montana didn't have craig or rice the first year he won the super bowl. they didn't have a good running game and only 1 solid receiver, and yet they still managed to win 7 games by a touchdown or less, including the championsip game and super bowl. CLUTCH

kastofsna120 said:
lol, marino is nothing in the clutch compared to brady. are you kidding me? he probably threw more picks on 3rd down than any QB in the history of the game

the 3 interceptions stat is important because despite the great defense the patriots have, brady's bad performances still put a notch in the loss column. the ravens' defense of a few years ago and the bucs from '02 would win games despite their QB's poor performances, so how great is the patriots defense really? and how many times has the pats defense allowed a late game TD drive, only to have brady counter it with his own?

brady > marino

About that 3 int stat..I could care less what team you're on or how good the D is if your QB throws 3 picks you are more than likely going to lose. Also don't interject something about a guy on 3rd down without the stats. It looks silly. I'm not arguing the Brady>Marino thing just some of your points.

kastofsna120 said:

Now I'm convinced you're a moron. (I was on the fence before.)

Last night should convince you of something: Brady has NOT done it himself. Facing a defense that's supposedly somehow outstanding this year - all of a sudden - Brady threw for 265 yards, three touchdowns, and a 121.4 rating. The result? New England lost, 40-21. Brady did not win his Super Bowls with offense - all three were won by a field goal. In 2001, he was helped by a defensive touchdown. In 2003, the dark horse Panthers had a late lead. Look, Brady is a great quarterback. But to put him ahead of Marino is not only premature it's simply wrong.

Back
Top Bottom