Tua and a SuperBowl | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua and a SuperBowl

I "can" drive to the store and get groceries in a 1973 Toyota Corolla...but its much more expedient and reliable to use my 2023 truck.

That's not fair...make that a 1976 Toyota Celica GT...fun, quick little squatty "sports" car, but can't hang with the big dogs.

I agree. Injuries were huge. The offensive line was McGivered the entire year.

It's never a good sign when seven starters are missing on defense for a playoff game.

But I do think there are areas where Tua needs to get better as well.
I have never stated that there aren’t areas Tua needs to improve in his game. I think every player in the NFL, have areas in their game they need to improve.

Tua just seems to get all the blame and little credit depending on if the Dolphins win or lose a game. If they win and Tua played a good game, it seems like Hill and the offensive play calls by McDaniel get the majority of the credit for the win.

When the Dolphins lose, somehow the fault for the loss is blamed on Tua. I don’t think a lot of posters will realize how good Tua is until he is no longer the Dolphins QB and the Dolphins end up looking for his replacement for the next 20 years.

Trent Dilfer has a ring not because he was elite, but because he was on a strong team with a very good defense, o-line, and running game. So yes, even a QB like Tua could win a Super Bowl. But, he's not going to do it in Miami unless changes are made. Tua is NOT like an Allen or Mahomes, so he needs an above average, tough, physically dominating o-line to protect him. However, one, Grier can't even build an average line, and two, McDaniel seems to be another Philbin who prefers a finesse line to execute his fancy blocking techniques. Also, McDaniel has no experience as a "real" OC calling plays, so his inexperience and stubbornness hurts the offense at times.

IMO, when Grier gutted the roster for the rebuild, that was the time when he should have started laying a strong foundation for a tough, physical team, but four years later we see that he didn't care about "winning in the trenches", or having a defense that could hang with the top teams.
What do you mean. Mahomes got destroyed in the SB with a depleted OL, and Allen hasn’t won anything yet.

Do people realize that the only actively starting NFL QBs to ever win a SB are Mahomes, Stafford, Flacco, and Wilson?

And Flacco and Wilson are barely currently starters.

There’s only one QB in the NFL currently that can put a team on his back and win a SB when they aren’t the best overall team, and that’s Mahomes. He’s one of the all-time greats and it’s no insult to Tua to say that he needs more help around him than Mahomes does to win a SB.

What do you mean. Mahomes got destroyed in the SB with a depleted OL, and Allen hasn’t won anything yet.

Do people realize that the only actively starting NFL QBs to ever win a SB are Mahomes, Stafford, Flacco, and Wilson?

And Flacco and Wilson are barely currently starters.

There’s only one QB in the NFL currently that can put a team on his back and win a SB when they aren’t the best overall team, and that’s Mahomes. He’s one of the all-time greats and it’s no insult to Tua to say that he needs more help around him than Mahomes does to win a SB.
You're right... comparing Tua to Mahomes isn't quite fair to Tua. However, isn't it something how KC had starting o-linemen injured and out, resulting in a Super Bowl loss, and then for the next season they got replacements and had another good o-line? Why is it that Grier can't fix an o-line during one off-season? Or two, or three, or four off-seasons? After having four years, a ton of draft picks and space under the cap, the best he can do is a half-decent line with injury-prone and penalty-prone players. IOW, with all of the resources he had available, if Grier was a good GM, Miami should have an above average line by now. Instead, they continue to have issues and be dominated, year after year.

Hey r, believe it or not I was just thinking about this. I have looked at Tua's highlights and found it very interesting that his biggest plays were on extending the play, but why he no longer does this, I have no idea. But it was like 50% of his game in collage.

The Ever Wondering VIPER

Well I don’t want to get into this here in your excellent thread but I have my reasons why he’s not the same player he was in college, and it’s not hip related

The anticipation and accuracy for which Tua executes within the structure of this offense is without question an elite skill.

However, There are other things the offense and Tua need to do to win ball games..

You're right... comparing Tua to Mahomes isn't quite fair to Tua. However, isn't it something how KC had starting o-linemen injured and out, resulting in a Super Bowl loss, and then for the next season they got replacements and had another good o-line? Why is it that Grier can't fix an o-line during one off-season? Or two, or three, or four off-seasons? After having four years, a ton of draft picks and space under the cap, the best he can do is a half-decent line with injury-prone and penalty-prone players. IOW, with all of the resources he had available, if Grier was a good GM, Miami should have an above average line by now. Instead, they continue to have issues and be dominated, year after year.
I can’t argue with the fact that it would be amazing to see what would happen if Tua got the type of time that some of these other QBs seem to get regularly.

I have never stated that there aren’t areas Tua needs to improve in his game. I think every player in the NFL, have areas in their game they need to improve.

Tua just seems to get all the blagame and little credit depending on if the Dolphins win or lose a game. If they win and Tua played a good game, it seems like Hill and the offensive play calls by McDaniel get the majority of the credit for the win.

When the Dolphins lose, somehow the fault for the loss is blamed on Tua. I don’t think a lot of posters will realize how good Tua is until he is no longer the Dolphins QB and the Dolphins end up looking for his replacement for the next 20 years.
Agree. It's kind of bizarre how little credit Tua gets sometimes. Maybe because he isn't 6-5.

It's the opposite for Josh Allen. He had a pretty bad game against Miami in the season finale and he got a ton of credit for the win.

McDaniel has been trying to show Tua that he could possibly be in the elite category of mindset of the greats like Kobe, Michael, and tiger. So far Tua has not bought into that idea imo.

I do think you’re right though it’s gonna take a couple more years in this offense to find and start to execute the branches on the tree.

McDaniel has been trying to show Tua that he could possibly be in the elite category of mindset of the greats like Kobe, Michael, and tiger. So far Tua has not bought into that idea imo.

I do think you’re right though it’s gonna take a couple more years in this offense to find and start to execute the branches on the tree.
We desperately need a top 5 TE, it will help this offense immensely.

The issue with this is there’s only 1 Mahomes. That’s the end of the list for elite qbs that can consistently carry their team. So unless you find a magical way to find a top 5 maybe the greatest qb ever when it’s all said and done you might as well be a midget with dreams of the nba because it’s not a reasonable formula to follow.
I see it the same way. It’s Mahomes at the top and then a gap to whoever is the #2 quarterback, which I think is debatable. That's hard to beat, especially because Kansas City also understands how important defense is.

They sacrificed some offensive firepower betting on Mahomes and the defense. That has paid off big for them.

But to Awsi Dooger's point, get to the postseason and you never know. Look at that play in the San Francisco versus Detroit game. A ball that looked like it was going to be an interception for the Lions bounced the way of the 49ers. Otherwise, it might have been Detroit in the super bowl.

Maybe the Dolphins get to the postseason on a roll and healthy with home field advantage.

Last edited:
We desperately need a top 5 TE, it will help this offense immensely.
im afraid we’re gonna have to wait on that, besides Bowers I don’t see a Laporta or Kincaid type talent…. Yet..

Well I don’t want to get into this here in your excellent thread but I have my reasons why he’s not the same player he was in college, and it’s not hip related

The anticipation and accuracy for which Tua executes within the structure of this offense is without question an elite skill.

However, There are other things the offense and Tua need to do to win ball games..
Please elucidate dj

The Ever Paying Attention VIPER

It's definitely a team thing. Joe Montana was great, but his teams were stacked on both sides of the ball. Tom Brady rarely played for a team that didn't have a championship caliber defense. That allowed him to mostly be conservative.

It is a little concerning that Tua wasn't very good in the clutch this year. That was always close to automatic, and a reason I thought Miami could win big with him.

Anyway, I know there were a lot of injuries but I think he was too focused on Hill as well.

The Dolphins offensive line also isn't on par with the better teams.

Brady understood early on how to take care of his body and he was cerebral.
The guy could could rarely be fooled and rarely made the wrong decision.
It was why i think he was shockingly good well into his 40s, he was always year wiser and could still throw and move fine.
A defensive coach on the Bucs i met said he could breakdown film on a defense in less than an hour towards the end of his career, but he still put in the hours.

Brady understood early on how to take care of his body and he was cerebral.
The guy could could rarely be fooled and rarely made the wrong decision.
It was why i think he was shockingly good well into his 40s, he was always year wiser and could still throw and move fine.
A defensive coach on the Bucs i met said he could breakdown film on a defense in less than an hour towards the end of his career, but he still put in the hours.
The more we look at Belichick's coaching career, the more credit I believe goes to Tom Brady.

I don't think you can discount Belichick's defenses and how much that factored into the overall success of the Patriots. But the fact that Bellichick has eight losing seasons in 11 years without Brady does speak volumes.

Back
Top Bottom