“Tua can’t play against man coverage.” | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“Tua can’t play against man coverage.”

This argument of once the defense drops the zone coverage and starts man coverage, he sucks……
Yeah debunked.
View attachment 122401

What crazy person made that argument?

I’m guessing the same person/people that said he can’t throw deep. Or that he is one-read QB.

The masses should know by now not to listen to those people.

Here’s the thing, no team wants to play man coverage against Miami. But the RPO game kinda pushes defenses in that direction.

They’re in a tough situation either way.

What crazy person made that argument?

I’m guessing the same person/people that said he can’t throw deep. Or that he is one-read QB.

The masses should know by now not to listen to those people.

Here’s the thing, no team wants to play man coverage against Miami. But the RPO game kinda pushes defenses in that direction.

They’re in a tough situation either way.
That's the funniest one of all.

While he still locks on from time to time as QBs are wont to do, Tua is routinely looking at several options, more so than most QBs I see.

That's the funniest one of all.

While he still locks on from time to time as QBs are wont to do, Tua is routinely looking at several options, more so than most QBs I see.

Right.

Like with any QB, sometimes the first read is there. So he goes to it.

But the idea that he can’t or never goes beyond a first or second read was never an actual thing. Just invented because people see what they want to see.

If those that truly believe he’s a one or two read QB really were interested in discovering whether their belief is justified — there are plenty of breakdown videos by qualified experts such as Dan Orlovsky, Kurt Warner, JT O’Sullivan, and others demonstrating many plays where Tua got to a 3rd or 4th read. Or created the play when things broke down (another common criticism by the same people).

IIRC the TD pass to Cracraft where he came back across the field from right to left was one of those plays as was the game-winning TD to Waddle against the Ravens. Tua scanned the field from right to left and Waddle was #3 or #4.

Last edited:
Not surprising, but I don't know what you do as a D. Tua is dicing zone defenses - moving LB's with his eyes, getting the ball out before they can react.

On the 4th down Miami missed to Gesicki, Chicago played man but doubled both Hill and Waddle. Gesicki couldn't separate vs man. Maybe that's the best plan? I don't think it'd slow the offense much. I think Tua and McDaniel would find answers, but it might be the best of the bad options.

But, yeah, it's amazing because the OL is still bad, but it doesn't matter too much, because Tua gets the ball out so quick, and he's making the right read consistently, and he's pushing the ball downfield.

Not surprising, but I don't know what you do as a D. Tua is dicing zone defenses - moving LB's with his eyes, getting the ball out before they can react.

On the 4th down Miami missed to Gesicki, Chicago played man but doubled both Hill and Waddle. Gesicki couldn't separate vs man. Maybe that's the best plan? I don't think it'd slow the offense much. I think Tua and McDaniel would find answers, but it might be the best of the bad options.

But, yeah, it's amazing because the OL is still bad, but it doesn't matter too much, because Tua gets the ball out so quick, and he's making the right read consistently, and he's pushing the ball downfield.
Sometimes, the optimal strategy is still -EV... It was always going to be as close to impossible as its going to get to guard this offense on paper. And now they're executing. This is basically what you and I have been banging the table for for the last what? 5 years? And Im loving every second of it. I mean even with this defense, I feel like the Fins can go drive for drive with anyone in this league and come out on top.

They could probably try to get it to the RB in those double coverage man to man situations. They finally have a RB who can catch in the backfield with Wilson and Mostert. and is a threat to take it to the house. Lots of screens.

The interesting thing, with Tua is all these stats and memes are proving 1 thing.......

It really doesn't matter what defense you use. Tua will destroy any schene you throw his way.

The only way to stop him is by giving him the leagues worst, historically, O line in the game.

People can disagree all they want. Tua makes this Oline look a heckuva lot better than it actually is. Cause they are not good. Pretty sure we witnessed that during the 3 game stretch Tua was out.

The oline didn't suddenly become good once Tua came back. That's as silly as those that conveniently believed the defense suddenly only played when Tua was starting.

I could only imagine what Tua could do with Phillys Oline lets sat.

Even if you give him last years receiving group. He would deal a death by a thousand cuts if he had a decent line.

He's just doing it quicker this year now that he has time for his receivers to get more than 10 yards downfield.

But the idea that he can’t or never goes beyond a first or second read was never an actual thing. Just invented because people see what they want to see,

If those that truly believe he’s a one or two read QB really were interested in discovering whether their belief is justified — there are plenty of breakdown videos by qualified experts such as Dan Orlovsky, Kurt Warner, JT O’Sullivan, and others demonstrating many plays where Tua got to a 3rd or 4th read.
Tua has been effective cycling through his reads this season, imo. Often he's making quick 1-2 reads in RPOs and throwing with speed and anticipation. But when plays take longer to develop he scans the field very well. The first and third TDs of the Lions game come to mind. I've seen him lock onto Tyreek a couple times but honestly I don't mind just tossing it up to #10 every once in a while. Every former QB I've seen break down his play this year has spoken highly of what he's put on tape.

Tua has been effective cycling through his reads this season, imo. Often he's making quick 1-2 reads in RPOs and throwing with speed and anticipation. But when plays take longer to develop he scans the field very well. The first and third TDs of the Lions game come to mind. I've seen him lock onto Tyreek a couple times but honestly I don't mind just tossing it up to #10 every once in a while. Every former QB I've seen break down his play this year has spoken highly of what he's put on tape.

Sometimes locking on to a receiver isn’t so bad. If that receiver is legit.

Mahomes often locks on to Kelce. Herbert locks on to Eckler. Rodgers used to lock on to Adams.

Doesn’t matter much of the time.

Clearly Tyreek is so good that he’s often open even when he’s not.

Tua does a great job of spreading the ball, but when things get tight and the team needs someone to make a play I sure don’t have a problem with him locking on to #10.

Sometimes, the optimal strategy is still -EV... It was always going to be as close to impossible as its going to get to guard this offense on paper. And now they're executing. This is basically what you and I have been banging the table for for the last what? 5 years? And Im loving every second of it. I mean even with this defense, I feel like the Fins can go drive for drive with anyone in this league and come out on top.

Good times 🙏 we sure have been asking for it for years (I would believe 5).

It is particularly wild to see such a drastic change in one offseason.

This argument of once the defense drops the zone coverage and starts man coverage, he sucks……
Yeah debunked.
View attachment 122401
Seriously, I don’t know how you can watch the games and say he’s bad against man coverage. I look forward to man coverage because he tears it up! But he sees less of it because of both the speed threat from multiple targets and defenses using more zone because they anticipate misdirection in our game plan. They shouldn’t have even had to look at these numbers, all they had to do was watch the tape of him passing against man coverage. Do they not even bother to watch the tape on their own speculation?

Back
Top Bottom