“Tua can’t play against man coverage.” | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“Tua can’t play against man coverage.”

Not surprising, but I don't know what you do as a D. Tua is dicing zone defenses - moving LB's with his eyes, getting the ball out before they can react.

On the 4th down Miami missed to Gesicki, Chicago played man but doubled both Hill and Waddle. Gesicki couldn't separate vs man. Maybe that's the best plan? I don't think it'd slow the offense much. I think Tua and McDaniel would find answers, but it might be the best of the bad options.

But, yeah, it's amazing because the OL is still bad, but it doesn't matter too much, because Tua gets the ball out so quick, and he's making the right read consistently, and he's pushing the ball downfield.

The OL is still bad? I don’t know about that one. This is the best I’ve seen them play in a long time.

The OL is still bad?

LG and RT have been bottom of the league, and OL is a weak-link unit, meaning you'd rather have average play from all 5 than a couple great player and a couple awful ones. PFF has Miami ranked as the 3rd worst OL in pass pro. Tua mitigates a lot of it by getting the ball out so quickly, but it'd be a big problem for QB's who hold the ball longer, and it shows up more when Miami operates from under Center.

LG and RT have been bottom of the league, and OL is a weak-link unit, meaning you'd rather have average play from all 5 than a couple great player and a couple awful ones. PFF has Miami ranked as the 3rd worst OL in pass pro. Tua mitigates a lot of it by getting the ball out so quickly, but it'd be a big problem for QB's who hold the ball longer, and it shows up more when Miami operates from under Center.

Tua has only been sacked 8 times . Now maybe he's part of the reason getting the ball out fast but that is an improvement from last year

Right.

Like with any QB, sometimes the first read is there. So he goes to it.

But the idea that he can’t or never goes beyond a first or second read was never an actual thing. Just invented because people see what they want to see.

If those that truly believe he’s a one or two read QB really were interested in discovering whether their belief is justified — there are plenty of breakdown videos by qualified experts such as Dan Orlovsky, Kurt Warner, JT O’Sullivan, and others demonstrating many plays where Tua got to a 3rd or 4th read. Or created the play when things broke down (another common criticism by the same people).

IIRC the TD pass to Cracraft where he came back across the field from right to left was one of those plays as was the game-winning TD to Waddle against the Ravens. Tua scanned the field from right to left and Waddle was #3 or #4.
Tua goes through his progressions and makes his reads as quickly as any elite QB in the league, including Mahommes. It’s been the reason he’s blown up this year.

Tua has only been sacked 8 times . Now maybe he's part of the reason getting the ball out fast but that is an improvement from last year

It's definitely a lot better! It's just that it was so bad last year that a lot better is still towards the bottom of the league. Of the guys people are talking about for MVP, Mahomes and Hurts have really good OL's, Buffalo's is below average, and Miami's is still pretty bad (worst of the group). I expect it to get better as the season progresses, and it's not much of an issue, because the WR's are so good, and Tua is so quick to trigger, but you'd like them to be better.

Tua goes through his progressions and makes his reads as quickly as any elite QB in the league, including Mahommes. It’s been the reason he’s blown up this year.

He also does a good job with pre-snap reads for which he doesn’t get enough credit.

That’s among the reasons he typically knows where the ball needs to go so quickly.

The interesting thing, with Tua is all these stats and memes are proving 1 thing.......

It really doesn't matter what defense you use. Tua will destroy any schene you throw his way.

The only way to stop him is by giving him the leagues worst, historically, O line in the game.

People can disagree all they want. Tua makes this Oline look a heckuva lot better than it actually is. Cause they are not good. Pretty sure we witnessed that during the 3 game stretch Tua was out.

The oline didn't suddenly become good once Tua came back. That's as silly as those that conveniently believed the defense suddenly only played when Tua was starting.

I could only imagine what Tua could do with Phillys Oline lets sat.

Even if you give him last years receiving group. He would deal a death by a thousand cuts if he had a decent line.

He's just doing it quicker this year now that he has time for his receivers to get more than 10 yards downfield.
On the OLINE, Armstead left the Jets game early and missed the Vikings game. He makes a MASSIVE difference. The majority of those 2 games featured Little at LT.

That was my point as well. It looks even better now that Engleburg has been replaced at LG due to injury! She’ll replacing Little!

I’d suspect statistically it’s at least average. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s slightly better than average the past few games.

Tua is a big factor. But, imo, not the only factor.

Side note: I don’t think Jackson gets his job back outside of some bad play or injury.

I think there’s a reason they’re “taking their time” with him returning.

Hard to go through progressions when your OL allows immediate pressure from multiple positions. Add in WRs that can’t get an inch of separation and you have issues. That was the 2020 and 2021 Miami Dolphins offense.

Hard to go through progressions when your OL allows immediate pressure from multiple positions. Add in WRs that can’t get an inch of separation and you have issues. That was the 2020 and 2021 Miami Dolphins offense.

Absolutely, it was a worse situation than Herbert or Rodgers have now, and we see what it looks like when a QB who has been good (elite in Rodgers' case) doesn't have quality receiving options.

Receivers are way more important than OL, but if you don't have quality receivers, you better have a really good OL to give the QB a chance to find an open player.

This doesn’t matter we will almost never see man coverage. That’s a nightmare matchup. Teams would get cooked against hill/waddle and Mostert

That was my point as well. It looks even better now that Engleburg has been replaced at LG due to injury! She’ll replacing Little!

I’d suspect statistically it’s at least average. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s slightly better than average the past few games.

Tua is a big factor. But, imo, not the only factor.

Side note: I don’t think Jackson gets his job back outside of some bad play or injury.

I think there’s a reason they’re “taking their time” with him returning.
Engleburg? Didn’t know we signed another LG

Back
Top Bottom