**Tua discussion super thread** | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Tua discussion super thread**

For me the ONLY question is if Tua should be 100% trusted with the future of the team. My answer to that is no! Tua has rather obvious and potentially NFL career defining limitations in terms of athleticism, height, arm, and perhaps…[fill in the blank]. I'm very unsure just how much he will improve but it’s obvious he needs to get a LOT better.

I want another kid in the mix. Serious competition. More talent at the position. High-performance depth. Definitely more athleticism. Bottom line -- we’re in a unique situation this upcoming draft with resources we’ll probably never see again.
Like they always say -- competition makes everyone better! No reason that doesn't apply to the QB position.

If ??? Tua is indeed a “generational” talent he’ll thrive in the competition. If he wilts – well – we can move on, collect $200 at go and focus on the TEAM and not one player.

>>> But you can bet we're looking to draft a QB in '21. Just depends on day 1 or 2.

Don´t agree, TUA was a weak spot for the team all game long, missing again open throws and causing the interceptions all by himself by throwing off target. Miami needs to address the QB position and put TUA as a learner not a starter in crucial games.
Huh? He’s a rookie playing game 9. He has a below average OL, a below average receiving corp and a below average RB.

I think even the most patient Tua supporters have to ask themselves the one important question, why was there not one bit of improvement?

Improvement is not on the play calling, it's not on the receivers (all the time), it's not on anyone but him. I would venture to say there was regression from his first start.

Missing on a first round QB is a back breaker for 5 years. This is a year we have a lot of picks. I hate to say it but it has to be a consideration IF the right situation is presented.

Does Tua have any value to a team like Tampa or does Arians look at the inability to go downfield as a major problem for his offense?

Perhaps common sense just dictates you don't give up on a rookie in their very 1st year starting? I mean just seems logical to me.
I haven't said give up. I'd rather build a good team than draft a qb every year.

Still, Tua isn't good right now. There's very little he showed on the field that screams future success.

You cant give up on Tua but we should draft another QB to compete for the position.

Can´t believe people sayin everything was wrong but TUA . TUA was the one that put the team in that spot, he was the weak link of the miami team today. all the INTS were his fault by throwing off target. terrible performance.

The fins need to give all this years draft picks to Jville to get T Lawrence!!
They have stockpiled a lot of picks in next years draft.
Fins are a qb away!
T Law in, Fitz backing up. Get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Tua. Fill other needs through free agency.
Am I crazy?
I'm not sold on Tua either but I hope your kidding. Jesus, you wanna give both our firsts and seconds away? Thats the dumbest thing we could ever do. Thank God we don't have Tannenbaum in the office anymore because that's exactly what his dumb ass would do.

im willing to stick it out 1-2 more years with tua and hope he develops once he gets help. looks doubtful but i hope im wrong. he needs to bulk back up and get a bit more zip on the ball.
1-2 more years?

Then what?

Give up the farm to move up from 15-22 to draft a QB?

To date I haven’t commented on the great Tua debate. There are those that saw him as the second coming of the messiah, or Dan as we refer to him here, and those who maintained we should never have drafted the over rated injury prone Tua.
You can find stats that prove he’s great and stats that prove he’s the second coming of Josh Rosen
Somewhere between the two is the truth. He hasn’t set the world alight but doesn’t stink. If we had better receivers, Wilson and Hurns would have been nice, it would have helped but he’s never going to see the separation he saw in college. Most of his passes are short ones, without a deep ball the opposition can crowd the box, stop the short game and reduce the running game.
The drilled spirals have largely been missing, too many floated passes that float past their planned recipients.
Is it time to replace him, of course not. He gets another tilt next year, with better receivers and a full camp and pre season, hopefully the penny might drop and he can kick on.
The Dolphins will need to decide if they want to develop him and lose games that by benching him they could win or go for wins. Personally I’m playing him win or lose, if we lose a few it puts us in a better position to draft his replacement.
The next draft will be very important, what to do with the 3 pick.
OL or receiver, trade down or how’s this for and idea? Trade down for team x’s first pick in 2022 so we’ll have ammunition to trade up if we need to get Tua’s replacement. Draft an OL and sign a FA receiver. Tua gets another receiver (plus Hurns and Wilson) and OL help, we’ll see if he’s history or the future.
If he doesn’t make it, his replacement has a good OL and receivers with which to prosper

Last edited:
I think even the most patient Tua supporters have to ask themselves the one important question, why was there not one bit of improvement?

Improvement is not on the play calling, it's not on the receivers (all the time), it's not on anyone but him. I would venture to say there was regression from his first start.

Missing on a first round QB is a back breaker for 5 years. This is a year we have a lot of picks. I hate to say it but it has to be a consideration IF the right situation is presented.

Does Tua have any value to a team like Tampa or does Arians look at the inability to go downfield as a major problem for his offense?

tua major problem. fitzgailey always develop rook QB. dolphin have plenty weapon. trade to saint!

That being said. I will run naked in the streets in celebration if the Dolphins draft Fields and trade Tua for a 3rd! Don't hate me though for that though. Hate me for many other good reasons! :p

I expected this type of post after the game today. Heck, the OP is entitled to have their own opinion and I respect that.

Did Tua set the NFL world on fire? No, that didn't happen yet. Was he outplayed by Fitzpatrick? For the most part.

But Tua also had some nice moments. He finished with 11 touchdown passes and 5 interceptions. Not bad for a rookie. His completion percentage was solid. He didn't lose games.

Today's game was pretty ugly for the entire team. There were 11 dropped passes today, Parker slipped on a pick 6 which essentially sealed the win for Buffalo.

You have to consider that the Dolphins were playing with three rookies on the offensive line, and third and fourth string receivers down the stretch.

To me, Tua has shown enough to be pretty excited. Get him some NFL caliber receivers and that would be a nice start. Who else does Miami really have besides Parker?

Instead of wasting time debating whether or not Tua is awful, let's discuss what we can do at the QB position this offseason. This team is close to being a contender. If we make some good picks on offense and get a good QB we can win big next season. For those who want to debate whether Tua is capable of being an NFL QB, there are plenty of other threads for that. Meanwhile, here are the potential options for moving on from Tua.

DRAFT - The Dolphins are stocked with picks and this looks like a good QB class. The obvious pick at the top seems like a potential solid NFL QB. Would the Jags take Tua and pick 3 for him? I don't think so. Would the Dolphins be willing to ship a bigger package of picks to move up 2 spots from 3 to 1? I don't know. Even if they were, would the Jags be interested? Hard to say. It is definitely worth discussing. However, there are several other QBs who have emerged as interesting options.

My issue with staying put is that there is not a QB I feel like taking at #3 who is a better option than taking Davonte Smith. I think if the Jags would take Tua and pick 3 I would make that move to #1. Or if I could trade Tua elsewhere and package that pick with number 3 I would make the move. I just don't see Jacksonville making the move back to 3 and handing us Lawrence without taking all 4 of our first and second round picks. I am not sure I would give that up because I believe there are some other options available to us that would work out well, combined with the fact that I think Smith is a generational WR that we can take at #3.

My draft plan includes drafting Smith at WR, Harris at RB, and Creed Humphrey at C. If I can trade Tua for a late first or a 2nd, I think I would have enough ammo to get all 3 of those players. Arizona was able to get a 2nd round pick for Rosen after it was obvious that he is awful. I would then consider how I can draft a QB also. Maybe I can still use a first rounder and get a player like Wilson. Maybe I have to draft a 2nd round QB. There are a lot of guys who I think can at least play in the NFL, even if they turn into a backup.

TRADE/FA - I honestly haven't checked who is available on the open market this season. I know I would offer a one year deal to Fitzmagic and would love to have him back as our backup QB. A drafted QB can learn a lot from him whether he starts or sits behind Fitz.

I know there are two interesting options who are likely available via trade and because of their contracts it would not take a first rounder to get them. Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan are two veterans that can come in and win big with this team if you add Davonte Smith, a solid RB, and bolster the rest of the skills positions a little. The problem that these two options present that drafting a QB does not is that those contracts make it difficult to add veteran players in key positions to cap off what you need to get over the top. Having a QB on a rookie contract for 5 seasons gives you serious flexibility. This is what is so frustrating about how awful Tua turned out to be.

Any way you slice it we have to address the QB position. We need a good QB and we have the draft pieces to make this team a serious contender. One more draft in 2022 along with adding a couple key pieces in FA can make us Super Bowl champs if we get the right QB. The only obvious fact is that it is not Tua.
Oh awesome, another Tua thread. *Ignore list*

Back
Top Bottom