Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino...

Wow, that half a mile an hour must be a big deal. Because the anti-Tua and pro-Watson crowd would have you believe Watson has much better arm than Tua. Based on this chart maybe the anti-Tua crowd would rather the Dolphins trade for Love, Wentz, Keizer, Darnold, Trubisky or Jones. Of course they don’t have to worry about trading for Haskins since he is a free agent.

Certainly interesting to see those names at the bottom with the exception of Allen, they aren't exactly world beaters so maybe that stat is actually meaningful, who would have think ??

Yeah, not sure how they're rating these things, but if anyone came up with Tua's release being anywhere near as fast or faster than Marino's ... theyn they're smoking crack. Sorry, like the guy, but that's just stupid. What's next, you gonna tell us he's taller than the 6'4 Dan Marino too?

Use you common sense people.
I'm sorry that you fully rely on common sense and not actual facts, physics, and math.

This is about release time and ball velocity... Wrong thread bud...

There's actually a gif of them sise by side showing their release frame by frame... Maybe check things out before you call people crack heads... Bad look for you...
I've seen the long video comparing Rodgers (very quick release) to Marino (Quickest) from these guys and they only review about 10 throws total. It took me like 2 minutes to find considerably faster release tape of Marino even barely trying. Bottom line is that not every throw is the same, and cherry picking your film isn't how it works.

Go head, call it a bad look ... but I took the gloves off brother. You're just looking to put them back on.

For the next 10 years... Jets will have Watson, Bills will have Allen, Pats will find a way to get back in it with Belicheat, and we'll be stuck with our 4th QB in 10 years ughhh make it stop
My thoughts exactly when you hit the return button.

For the record, the way he's figuring this stuff out is obviously flawed. I couldn't tell you why, myself. Perhaps something to do with inaccurate/uneven framerates or not nearly a large enough sample size or picking and choosing?

But here's his evaluation of Tua:

"Medical evaluation not withstanding, Tua’s a difficult player to evaluate. When you take away the advantage of his surrounding talent, what does his game look like? I think Tua can be a really good pro, but I don’t think he’s the generational talent some are making him out to be.

His game might be best described as 40-year old Drew Brees’s arm combined with 37-year-old Michael Vick’s legs. Tua’s unbelievably accurate, he’s got the quickest release I’ve ever seen, but he also has an undeniably weak arm. His biomechanics are very similar to Mike Vick’s, and Tua is very mobile, but keep in mind as a freshman at Alabama he ran a 4.76 40-yard dash. He’s not exactly a burner.

Playing in the right system matters for every quarterback, but some may be more impervious to systems than others. I believe there are a hand full of coaches who could turn Tua into a perennial All-Pro. But there are probably three times as many coaches who could turn him into a bust by year three. The talent is obviously there, but whichever team drafts him better know what they are doing.
"

I mean, if this were accurate, don't you think someone other than some nobody with a blog site would be using it?

Edit: Also, if you look at the side-by-side throws with Tua and Dan, is it not obvious that Dan is throwing the ball twice as far down the field as Tua is in his? Actually, the videos below that, with Tua, Burrow, Herbert and who? Love? It looks like Tua is throwing a 15 yard pass, and all the rest are throwing it at least twice as far.

I don't think this guy is trying to prop up Tua though. (obviously, since his full evaluation of Tua wasn't all that flattering) I think he's just trying to make a case for him having the fastest release all time to fit his agenda for clicks.

Last edited:
Kind of weird how, on a Fins message board, you bring up something positive about their rookie first round pick QB, you're met with resistance and people who simply wont have any of it... Absolutely not even looking to dicuss it, simply ignore it and bash the said QB... On a Fins mesage board... How miserable must you be really...

Timing, Anticipation, and release is what matters more than arm strength.

Arm strength doesn't really matter in the NFL, it's all about anticipation. But more than anything of that, it's about trusting your receivers. Here is an example for you.

----

Preston Williams is running a deep out route. Lets say on his 8th step he decides to plant his inside foot, sink his hips and explode at angle for the out route.

Tua decides to throw is before he even plants his inside foot, causing the ball to be there when he breaks out of his cut. Ball arrives perfectly on time. Its bang bang and the DB has zero chance of picking it off.

Now lets take another player in Lynn Bowden. Bowden decides to shimmy and take a giant hop step at his 8th step. He stutters for another few steps then rounds out his cut and goes to the out. Tua holds and is unable to throw because he doesn't hit his marks when Tua is ready to let go before Lynn sinks and his hips and cuts. This messes up timing and anticipation. But what it does more than anything is mess up the trust.

Tua will start trusting Preston because he runs his routes and is where he needs to be when he needs to be. When Lynn Bowden runs routes, he isn't and that messes with a QB in a bad way like Tua.

Now lets take Herbert. Herbert is notorious even in his San Diego tape, to be late on throws because of his arm strength. He will throw that out route AFTER the player makes his cut, but can get it there because of his arm. However, his anticipation still lacks immensely. But it doesn't matter because of his arm strength and it can overcome the timing issues. But he doesn't need trust because he can get the ball to his player.

What teams will start doing next year (at least I think) is start running back that Rex Ryan cover 2 blitz scheme when playing Herbert. It allows the DB's to jump and also squat on routes. Herbert really did well this year off using his arm and relying it over everything else. But watch the Patriots game. Belicheck turned up the blitz and pressure to an 11 and Herbert got flustered badly. Watch next year. Teams will start using a zone blitz defense and watch Herbert's eyes and his lack of anticipation and timing to start jumping his routes.

Anyways long story short. Tua is all about anticipation and timing. Get receivers he trusts and he could have the weakest arm in the NFL and still dominate. Because a QB that can release it faster than anyone else with excellent anticipation and trust in his receivers is impossible to defend.

you left out the part about herbert will impale his receivers with the ball if they don’t catch it lol

Kind of weird how, on a Fins message board, you bring up something positive about their rookie first round pick QB, you're meat with resistance and people who simply wont have any of it... Absolutely not even looking to dicuss it, simply ignore it and bash the said QB... On a Fins mesage board... How miserable must you be really...
I wonder why Tannehill was given such leeway and Tua isn't even after having a decent rookie season.

There must be something different about them that I just can't put my finger on...

It does seem kinda weird to take the greatest player a franchise has ever had and try to throw his memory under the bus by propping up any tidbit you can find on the new player to suggest the new player is better, despite knowing that it is not true and being able to see it with your own eyes. I agree ... definitely weird.

For the next 10 years... Jets will have Watson, Bills will have Allen, Pats will find a way to get back in it with Belicheat, and we'll be stuck with our 4th QB in 10 years ughhh make it stop
Jesus dude did you really just come in this thread to whine about Tua?

76nu.gif

Kind of weird how, on a Fins message board, you bring up something positive about their rookie first round pick QB, you're met with resistance and people who simply wont have any of it... Absolutely not even looking to dicuss it, simply ignore it and bash the said QB... On a Fins mesage board... How miserable must you be really...

well you are kinda running with this arm velocity narrative that is more pff numbers in a vacuum than anything else and look you and yours will sell it to a lot of people you won’t sell it to me.

It does seem kinda weird to take the greatest player a franchise has ever had and try to throw his memory under the bus by propping up any tidbit you can find on the new player to suggest the new player is better, despite knowing that it is not true and being able to see it with your own eyes. I agree ... definitely weird.
Wow that is offside Digtal

Marino is not being replaced by a stat nor is he being disrespected

Marino was absolutely the best at everything of any player who ever lived. He had zero weaknesses. It's why his trophy case is chock full of trophies and super bowl rings.

Back
Top Bottom