Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino... | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino...

The link is posted on the 1st page AND the 2nd page...
OK, so you are not going to even attempt to explain why you posted a 20 yard throw vs. a 60 yard throw and tried to act like those were similar and would produce the same release time?

Got it.

I'm gonna be pre-emptive here. Talk about the stats, question how the info is determined, agree or disagree that's fine. But if anybody derails this into a Tua sucks thread there is no warning, it's deleting post and thread ban. Debate is good and fun, but non of this "lolz Tua sucks"

Carry on... also thank you for the stat NBP
Thank you!

I never have understood the ”weak arm” description of Tua. I watched many of his games at Alabama and I saw him complete many long passes and he had no trouble throwing any type of pass required of him.

This past season he was limited by the offense called by Gailey while he was in the game. Even Gailey admitted that he called different plays for Fitzpatrick than he did for Tua. With a new OC and an offense built around Tua, I have zero doubt he has plenty of arm strength to be a highly successful QB in the NFL.
He has one of the highest completion percentages in college football history for passes over 20 yards. I think it’s around 67%

The research is based on more than 400 throws from these QBs... They did exactly what you're saying. Its not because they post one example that its the only one they used... Come on man!

from the article:

Whats really baffling to me is that half the posts in this thread are in complete denial that Tua might have a single elite trait... Its a thread about ONE single thing Tua does at a high level and HALF the posts in this thread on a Fins message board are completely trashing on it, flat out wont even read the actual article.
That’s because half the people posting are not elite posters. Lol

As an admin I'm sure you've seen countless posts saying that Tua doesn't have "elite skills" so how can he possibly be good?

Here's an example of him owning an elite skill and you're asking why this matters?

Come on...
We drafted him for his elite skills no doubt
He's our QB now and that's great but at this point why compare him to Dan ?
And whether I am an admin or not has nothing to do with that opinion

What is the point of this? You can try and point out all of these different stats all you want, the bottom line is Tua did not produce sufficient results other than the AZ game. All your stats dont make a world of difference.

We drafted him for his elite skills no doubt
He's our QB now and that's great but at this point why compare him to Dan ?
And whether I am an admin or not has nothing to do with that opinion
Because Marino is well regarded as probably having the fastest release of all time. Who else would you compare Tua to for this one particular skill? Cleo Lemon?

I don't understand the issue here. When Duncan Robinson on the Heat is compared to Steph Curry at 3 point shooting, nobody melts down like this forum does when Marino is mentioned for one small comparison.

This aura of someone being untouchable or not even talked about despite never winning anything significant is just so weird to me.

What is the point of this? You can try and point out all of these different stats all you want, the bottom line is Tua did not produce sufficient results other than the AZ game. All your stats dont make a world of difference.

Do not come here just to talk shiit about Tua

I was not doing that. I think he's gonna be a good one

Neither did Manning, Steve Young, Aikman and a host of others whose first year production by comparison makes Tua look like an HOF'er

OTOH Wentz, RG3 etc came strong out of the box and the end results speak for themselves.

What are "sufficient results" that aren't stats, which you said are meaningless?

Have fun ladies

Don't get personal or I'll be back to

:SPNK:

you.

good evening

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but here is the article by Tim Dix (rough name to grow up with) who put out the data being talked about.

Dix says "Trigger Time" is the most important metric covered...

Trigger Time​

Now, I only just started looking at the idea of “trigger time” last year, but I think it might be the most important of the three metrics covered in this analysis. Again, this is measuring the amount of time it takes a QB to start their throwing motion after they’ve locked on a target. This provides insight into how a quarterback sees the field and how quickly they process information. Additionally, the less time a QB stares down their target before a throw, the less time a DB has to react to the pass.

Image for post

That reminded me of something Coach Shula said back in the day when he was asked about Marino's best asset and he responded, "It doesn't take long for the thought to go from Dan's mind to his arm and to his feet." I have referred to that as CPU Speed in the past. I also thought that is what made Marino so special. Once he made his decision to throw his CPU speed and quick release allowed the ball to be gone in a split second and his ability to react at the last moment by taking a step in the pocket resulting in being the least sacked QB despite not being the fastest athlete at the position.

I like Tua, but if Tua doesn't have CPU speed, a quick release alone is not going to enable him to become an elite QB as he will have a slow trigger time.

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but here is the article by Tim Dix (rough name to grow up with) who put out the data being talked about.

Dix says "Trigger Time" is the most important metric covered...

Trigger Time​

Now, I only just started looking at the idea of “trigger time” last year, but I think it might be the most important of the three metrics covered in this analysis. Again, this is measuring the amount of time it takes a QB to start their throwing motion after they’ve locked on a target. This provides insight into how a quarterback sees the field and how quickly they process information. Additionally, the less time a QB stares down their target before a throw, the less time a DB has to react to the pass.

Image for post

That reminded me of something Coach Shula said back in the day when he was asked about Marino's best asset and he responded, "It doesn't take long for the thought to go from Dan's mind to his arm and to his feet." I have referred to that as CPU Speed in the past. I also thought that is what made Marino so special. Once he made his decision to throw his CPU speed and quick release allowed the ball to be gone in a split second and his ability to react at the last moment by taking a step in the pocket resulting in being the least sacked QB despite not being the fastest athlete at the position.

I like Tua, but if Tua doesn't have CPU speed, a quick release alone is not going to enable him to become an elite QB as he will have a slow trigger time.

So Tua has a better trigger time than Allen and Herbert... And equal to Murray. Not bad.

Back
Top Bottom