Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino...

Yeah, I mean he's short, he's not an athlete in the same vein as Murray or Jackson, and he doesn't have a bazooka for an arm... So why was he the #1 High School recruit in the entire country?

It's almost because of **** like this.
I can't believe the site edited the word co*ked.

I think this is misleading
I compare Tua's release to Brady's because it is through play design for very short quick passes
Kind of fudging the numbers
i consider actual quick release when standing in the pocket scanning field and the using that quick release to launch a pass downfield with velocity and accuracy
Sorry again doesn't pass the eye test
Look at vintage Marino highlights of him doing this
Still nothing like it
There was some method used to pump up John Beck as having a very strong arm too so I will stick with what I see

Excellent catch. Tua made a living in college off of single reads and predetermined throws (the five yard slant across the middle, for example) which allow for less processing time and and require anticipation and timing. Most of these passes are also short, requiring a very quick throw so the pass makes it in time to hit the receiver in stride. Tua was VERY good at this part of the game and it really helped mitigate a lot of the arm strength issues he has. Marino had arm strength by the boatload and held the football long enough to get his receivers in space, and then would initiate the quick release for deep passes.

I think we are comparing two very different skill sets here. If Tua truly does have a Marino like quick release, that is a good thing, but it is worth mentioning that Dan has been quoted as saying arm strength is the most important attribute of a great QB. While he did take pride in his quick release, it was his arm strength and elusiveness in the pocket he placed the most value on.

Excellent catch. Tua made a living in college off of single reads and predetermined throws (the five yard slant across the middle, for example) which allow for less processing time and and require anticipation and timing. Most of these passes are also short, requiring a very quick throw so the pass makes it in time to hit the receiver in stride. Tua was VERY good at this part of the game and it really helped mitigate a lot of the arm strength issues he has. Marino had arm strength by the boatload and held the football long enough to get his receivers in space, and then would initiate the quick release for deep passes.

I think we are comparing two very different skill sets here. If Tua truly does have a Marino like quick release, that is a good thing, but it is worth mentioning that Dan has been quoted as saying arm strength is the most important attribute of a great QB. While he did take pride in his quick release, it was his arm strength and elusiveness in the pocket he placed the most value on.
Dan may have said that, but these days most evaluators would agree that accuracy is a far more desirable trait rather than arm strength.

I don't even think most of the people understand what is even being talked about when discussing release time. It is the time from the moment the arm is ****ed to throw until the time the ball leaves the hand. That's it and nothing more, so I don't know why it's even in dispute that Tua has a lightning quick release. You can see it watching the games with the naked eye and it was proven to you with the film analysis. For some people I guess Tua doesn't have any redeeming qualities as QB regardless of what the facts say.
From the time is arm is ****ed and the time it leaves his hand he doesn’t get rid of it faster then Marino. No one ever did. The reason is simple - Marino didn’t bring the ball back past his ear. He didn’t have a long windup. It was and still is a completely unique throwing style. Add to that, even without a big windup the ball could travel 40-45 yards in the air on a frozen rope. Not even Rodgers can do that. Tua is getting rid of the ball fast because (like Brady) these are short passes. The fact that almost all of these QBs on the list are modern day guys where short passes rule is creating a misconception that their releases are superior to QBs of old. If there is a way to run this analysis for pass attempts greater than 10 yards in the air it’s going to look different.

I like Tua / not at all a hater. But he’s not flicking his wrist in a fraction of a second and the ball already 35-40 yards downfield on a line. Only Rodgers can do that - Brady never could for example. Marino and Aaron could even do it off of their back feet. Check out some of Dan’s throws in that ‘85 Bears game, while fading away in the face of the DL jailbreaks. Tua cannot do that nor can 99.9% of QBs that ever played.

Wow. Thanks NBP for sharing this. Super interesting.

With all of those pining for Watson, He's 0.5 mph faster ball speed and a tiny bit slower than Tua release wise.....

This isn’t arm strength this is just release time and I definitely think they are comparable marino and tua
Ok but is it from snap or QB set and arm ****ed? And how far can the ball go off this quick release. Marino could push it 40-50 yards down field off of that quick release. Tua cannot (at least we haven’t see that).

Ok but is it from snap or QB set and arm ****ed? And how far can the ball go off this quick release. Marino could push it 40-50 yards down field off of that quick release. Tua cannot (at least we haven’t see that).
It's a 400 throw sample size which is more than enough of a mix between short, intermediate, and long.

It's not like he picked one throw that Marino threw 50 yards downfield and one 2 yard pass from Tua and compared them. Come on.

Also just going to post this for the millionth time.

It's a 400 throw sample size which is more than enough of a mix between short, intermediate, and long.

It's not like he picked one throw that Marino threw 50 yards downfield and one 2 yard pass from Tua and compared them. Come on.

So were saying Tua gets the ball out faster than Marino regardless of distance ? I don’t buy it for a nano second.

So were saying Tua gets the ball out faster than Marino regardless of distance ? I don’t buy it for a nano second.
What do you mean by "getting the ball out faster"? Because that can mean multiple different things.

Nice throw and pretty quick even looking by frame would need to see it consistently through every type of throw but definitely a good release

What do you mean by "getting the ball out faster"? Because that can mean multiple different things.
Dan had a unique throwing style where the ball was thrown from his ear. It is a huge reason the ball came out so fast as there is was no arm windup. This is well documented as to how his high school coach told him that people were going to try and change his mechanics and to not let them. This is also what made Dan nearly unsackable. On top of this the ball came out w such power and velocity that it could get downfield in a nano-second. This is why Dan was able to drop passes in deep down the sideline to WRs who may have had a slight step on the CB w the S coming over to help - double coverage windows that no QBs can hit on a consistent basis - but Dan could. Watch old clips / compilations of his TD tosses. I am not bashing Tua - but this comparison is silly as would a “Brady gets the ball out like Marino” because they didn’t / don’t. Perhaps they get the ball out from snap to 3 yard pass as fast as anyone but that is far less valuable or impressive as getting it out at warp speed and throwing a guy open 40 yards downfield before the D can fully react. Again, only Rodgers comes close to what Dan could do IMO.

Jesus there are a lot of people that just want to be completely mad at their own QB in here. Gonna be fun to see people squirm next season when he plays well. "Do I cheer for a good play from Tua or do I want Tua failure so I can be right on this message board" haha

Back
Top Bottom