Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino... | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino...

Dan had a unique throwing style where the ball was thrown from his ear. It is a huge reason the ball came out so fast as there is was no arm windup. This is well documented as to how his high school coach told him that people were going to try and change his mechanics and to not let them. This is also what made Dan nearly unsackable. On top of this the ball came out w such power and velocity that it could get downfield in a nano-second. This is why Dan was able to drop passes in deep down the sideline to WRs who may have had a slight step on the CB w the S coming over to help - double coverage windows that no QBs can hit on a consistent basis - but Dan could. Watch old clips / compilations of his TD tosses. I am not bashing Tua - but this comparison is silly as would a “Brady gets the ball out like Marino” because they didn’t / don’t. Perhaps they get the ball out from snap to 3 yard pass as fast as anyone but that is far less valuable or impressive as getting it out at warp speed and throwing a guy open 40 yards downfield before the D can fully react. Again, only Rodgers comes close to what Dan could do IMO.
Snap to pass has absolutely nothing to do with this argument. This is the speed at which his arm initially starts throwing the ball to when it's out of his hand. Tua was always considered to have a lightning fast release which is part of the reason why he was so highly touted coming out of high school.

You guys are really reaching here.

I'm sorry, but other QBs are allowed to have individual attributes that rival or beat Marino.

Snap to pass has absolutely nothing to do with this argument. This is the speed at which his arm initially starts throwing the ball to when it's out of his hand. Tua was always considered to have a lightning fast release which is part of the reason why he was so highly touted coming out of high school.

I'm sorry, but other QBs are allowed to have individual attributes that rival or beat Marino.

Again too...just use your eyes and Marino is not matched
You are totally dismissing "the ear" point by RSwhich is the basis for the superiority

Dan may have said that, but these days most evaluators would agree that accuracy is a far more desirable trait rather than arm strength.
Do you have anu evidence that is what "most" evaluators would agree on?

Accuracy is important but, on the surface, that statement seems like an assumption, with no way to verify.

Ok, so he starts beating defenses downfield because of that quick release we will be able to see it i imagine. I know he was touted as having a quick trigger. Can he get the ball deep on that quick trigger? That’s a big part of what I’m getting at - Dan had no drop off in velocity from 5 yards to 40 yards off of that trigger. If Tua can do that he’d be in some rarified air.

Again too...just use your eyes and Marino is not matched
You are totally dismissing "the ear" point by RSwhich is the basis for the superiority
That throwing from the ear - w power to boot (no long windup ) is truly unique. I can’t think of any other QB who has thrown like that. Marino was rarely sacked not because of great pass pro, but because he didn’t wind up past the ear. Just ask Bruce Smith and every other marquee pass rusher who experienced futility in trying to get him on the ground.

I thought Tua's arm looked stronger in college than it was this past season. He should get stronger. His release is quick but I swear it doesnt look nearly as quick as Marino's. maybe because Marino had more velocity

Ok, so he starts beating defenses downfield because of that quick release we will be able to see it i imagine. I know he was touted as having a quick trigger. Can he get the ball deep on that quick trigger? That’s a big part of what I’m getting at - Dan had no drop off in velocity from 5 yards to 40 yards off of that trigger. If Tua can do that he’d be in some rarified air.
But that's what the numbers say. Again, this is a sample size of 400 throws which is enough to remove any discrepancies about the distance that they're throwing.

Look, I don't think there's any question who had the better arm between Marino and Tua. Both can have lightning fast releases, but Marino clearly had the superior arm strength so overall it was better. This is more of a look into part of why Tua had the nickname "Left Arm of God". Despite people saying he doesn't have elite traits, he has multiple elite traits which is why he was so highly regarded coming out of college.

Jesus there are a lot of people that just want to be completely mad at their own QB in here. Gonna be fun to see people squirm next season when he plays well. "Do I cheer for a good play from Tua or do I want Tua failure so I can be right on this message board" haha

i will take the former. It gets old being right on a message board

But that's what the numbers say. Again, this is a sample size of 400 throws which is enough to remove any discrepancies about the distance that they're throwing.

Look, I don't think there's any question who had the better arm between Marino and Tua. Both can have lightning fast releases, but Marino clearly had the superior arm strength so overall it was better. This is more of a look into part of why Tua had the nickname "Left Arm of God". Despite people saying he doesn't have elite traits, he has multiple elite traits which is why he was so highly regarded coming out of college.
For me in watching him this year the things that impressed me most were his feel for situational ball and game management. He won games even when his stat line was modest. He was careful w the ball as opposed to careless. W the lack of talent on the O we didn’t have much margin for error and it’s one of the reasons I supported him starting over Fitz. His mobility and elusiveness is better than some seem to indicate. What I want to see this year is the ability to get the ball downfield and into the hands of dynamic playmakers. If only we had some...

Do you have anu evidence that is what "most" evaluators would agree on?

Accuracy is important but, on the surface, that statement seems like an assumption, with no way to verify.
Thanks, Mach, was going to ask the same thing.

Yeah, I mean he's short, he's not an athlete in the same vein as Murray or Jackson, and he doesn't have a bazooka for an arm... So why was he the #1 High School recruit in the entire country?

It's almost because of **** like this.
You mean the country of Hawaii right?

Actually the quickest ever analysed by this research...

View attachment 63032
Why'd you leave out that this same research shows he has the lowest launch velocity?

You also leave out the evaluation this guy had on tua which isn't flattering.

Tua Tagovailoa

Medical evaluation not withstanding, Tua’s a difficult player to evaluate. When you take away the advantage of his surrounding talent, what does his game look like? I think Tua can be a really good pro, but I don’t think he’s the generational talent some are making him out to be.

His game might be best described as 40-year old Drew Brees’s arm combined with 37-year-old Michael Vick’s legs. Tua’s unbelievably accurate, he’s got the quickest release I’ve ever seen, but he also has an undeniably weak arm. His biomechanics are very similar to Mike Vick’s, and Tua is very mobile, but keep in mind as a freshman at Alabama he ran a 4.76 40-yard dash. He’s not exactly a burner.

Playing in the right system matters for every quarterback, but some may be more impervious to systems than others. I believe there are a hand full of coaches who could turn Tua into a perennial All-Pro. But there are probably three times as many coaches who could turn him into a bust by year three. The talent is obviously there, but whichever team drafts him better know what they are doing.

I thought Tua's arm looked stronger in college than it was this past season. He should get stronger. His release is quick but I swear it doesnt look nearly as quick as Marino's. maybe because Marino had more velocity
I think (hope?) that this is a function primarily of the fresh hip injury. The hip is important in driving the power to the football during the throw. I can’t help but think it was problematic.

Hopefully, some time with trainers will fix this, as I would gladly give up the quick release for more velocity. Hopefully it does not result in changes to accuracy.

Take a look at the 2nd throw in the video when Dan was in college and check out some of the live speed clips - like at the 4:20 mark to Duper vs the Jets. That ball is downfield from release to reception faster than I’ve ever seen.

After reading through all the comments in this thread, my view is I really don’t care about certain stats for QB’s. I saw enough of Tua in college to know that he doesn’t have a weak arm and he is going to be an elite QB once he has better talent around him and an OC who build an offense around the things he does best.
I have zero interest in trading Tua for Watson or any other QB except perhaps Mahomes. If I am wrong about Tua and he ends up being a bust, I will be happy to come on here and admit I was wrong. Yet those who have already deemed him a bust after he only played half a season are obviously The same people who never wanted the Dolphins to draft Tua in the first place. It is hard to respect the opinions of individuals who have their own agenda and are not willing to see how Tua develops over the next few seasons.

Perhaps those individuals should go back and read all the comments on here about Josh Allen after his first season in Buffalo. He was seen as an inaccurate QB who would never be a good QB in the NFL. Yet the Bills went out and built an offense around Allen and now he is considered one of the top QB’s in the league.

I expect this same exact thing to happen with Tua once they actually build an offense around him. They don’t need to trade away all the draft picks for Watson because I believe Tua will be just as good if not better than Watson within the next three years.

Back
Top Bottom