Tua has no arm strength? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has no arm strength?

All these posts from Rosettes about Tau can’t carry a team, Tua is not accurate, Tua only piles up stats because he has great receivers, Tua has no arm strength, blah blah blah...

Perhaps it’s time to change the site name to stupidheaven.

Careful now. Might get your post deleted or merged for talking about Rosen like that. :lol:

All I can ask after speed reading through this thread is, WTF is wrong with people?

It is becoming a rare thing to see someone state an opinion then support it with compelling evidence, factual data or at least some kind of reasonable logic.

Instead, all we get is supposition, speculation and conjecture positioned as if it were incontrovertible truth or fact.

“My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says Tua Tagovailoa has no arm strength. I guess it's pretty serious.”

SMH.

Let's hypothetically say we had questions about Tua's arm. The NFL is no longer about having the strongest arm. It's about timing and putting the ball where it needs to be. Yeah you will still have guys that have cannons lighting it up. But that is no longer the top priority

if you want to see an nfl arm go watch the 12 yard out justin herbert throws cross hash 35 yards on a rope vs stanford. there are nfl qbs that cant make this throw. this is why guys like hoops will even tell you they wouldn't be the least bit surprised if miami walks up the herbert card 1st overall. scouts drool over this kind of arm talent.

Congratulations. You have just identified Tape Guy Sucker Tendency 101. That was the Ryan Tannehill mistake...obsessing over frame and arm strength and accuracy as opposed to the most basic criteria of all...how special has this guy been compared to his peers at every stage his life?

That's what Slimm has been trying to get across. The best players end up at Alabama because they have always been the best players. Rely on that simple focus and you'll come out much further ahead than nitpicking guys at lesser schools. It is the reason I always like major college sleepers...at any position. I don't mind the spotlight on lesser school guys as long as it is toward lower rounds. But once those players are elevated to round one and especially early round one then you are really asking for normalcy to take hold and create a lower ceiling than Tape Guy criteria suggests. For every Patrick Mahomes example there are many more like Josh Allen with the Bills, where yes he has the arm but it becomes increasingly evident why he ended up at Wyoming and not an elite football program.

As always, I prefer the logical more often than not focus, the one that limits subjectivity: Josh Rosen should be playing ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Rosen was a superior prospect to Fitzpatrick at every age of his life. That's why the May and June and July practice reports meant absolutely squat. Those were insulting agenda-driven reports sourcing from people who hated the idea that the Rosen move was fantastic value, and it didn't really matter how it turned out, as long as the practice was repeated time and again. They had to prioritize the agenda and therefore everything from practice was slanted toward Fitzpatrick, as if somehow he was at a separatory level. Hysterical.

In contrast, Tua has been markedly above Rosen, and especially once they reached college level. Rosen was a good college quarterback and sometimes very good. But he was never at the tier that Tua has occupied almost without exception ever since that dagger debut against Georgia.

Stick to the easy stuff. That would lead to Tua.

However, as normalcy starts to attach to the 2019 Dolphins and create some inevitable victories, I'm afraid the opportunity will be gone. We're not going to drop easy passes and miss multiple field goals in every game. Xavien Howard found a creative method to draw a flag and prevent a touchdown today. Get run over. He looked like Charles Harris out there.

I watched his highlights today and his accuracy looks good. (Although he has some amazing recievers).

Is it true that his arm strength, or long ball accuracy is not there? Anyone with knowledge or scouting have input?

Why would we draft a guy with no arm strength or deep accuracy?

There is about a 60 yard throw from the back of his end zone, completed of course, around the 3:30 mark..when he was in high school

Ive been hearing a lot of professionals say the same thing when they watch Tua live..and that is, he just looks different in person.

Last edited:
Arm strength is so overrated. Look at Josh Allen just tearing it up week after week. Tua's arm strength is efficient. Too many people drool over QBs with strong arms.

giphy.gif

Yeah, keep underrating Tua's arm talent. Try watching him throw before you post.

Yeah, keep underrating Tua's arm talent. Try watching him throw before you post.

Those in the know, especially the regulars in this draft forum, are fully aware that arm strength isn’t a problem for Tua.

But let’s pretend for a minute that it is. Some dude named Joe Montana once carved out a pretty nice career with what was largely considered an underwhelming arm.

Drafting Tua worries me in that Alabama is such a powerhouse that you never see him play in an adverse situation which he'll have to do on a regular basis in the NFL. To me his ceiling is still Drew Brees but his floor is John Beck. This is not the type of QB you should be tanking for. Physically Herbert is the QB you want but mentally I dont know. It's just a weird year to tank for a QB. Right now I'm kind of hoping we trade down to six or seven, get more draft picks and draft Jacob Eason

Slimm???

It seems to me that Tuas skillset would be best suited for a West Coast offense obviously with some zone read concepts worked in there..

I say that because of how he looks at the field, how fast he releases the ball, and the angles for which he lines up his targets..

Can you and others shed some light on the scheme he’s in now and what you think will suit him best at this level, and do you think this patriot system is a scheme fit for him?, even though it’s from the Earnhardt tree..?

Slimm???

It seems to me that Tuas skillset would be best suited for a West Coast offense obviously with some zone read concepts worked in there..

I say that because of how he looks at the field, how fast he releases the ball, and the angles for which he lines up his targets..

Can you and others shed some light on the scheme he’s in now and what you think will suit him best at this level, and do you think this patriot system is a scheme fit for him?, even though it’s from the Earnhardt tree..?

Well, Sark's offense features staples of traditional WCO in terms of the route concepts - but he's married some of that with the RPO that Tua was already masterful at executing. Nobody in the pros or college can operate an RPO like Tua.

But I think we've had to rely a little too much on the RPO because of the injury to Trey Sanders in camp. There's a big dropoff for us from Najee Harris to Brian Robinson, and Sanders was going to be the #2 to Najee. The fact that we can't run the ball the way we want forces us to rely on the RPO a little more than we'd like right now.

But I think you're correct in terms of how Tua lines up to his targets. His footwork and mechanics are always so solid that he's controlling all the variables instead of the defense. It's why he can play so flawlessly.

Although I'm not going to say that he can't play in an offense that requires throwing a 15 yard comeback or an out route or a deep dig. You simply can't listen to the people criticizing his arm. It's just a lot of skeptics trying to find something to knock and that's all they can muster at the moment. There's not an NFL throw he can't make if he wants to.

Back
Top Bottom