Tua played at 60% last year | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua played at 60% last year

My guess is if Tua struggles this season with this receiving core, blame will then be placed on the offensive line. That's usually how it goes.
There's really only one purpose for making that type of statement.

Sad..........

We had this conversation a number of times last year as some of the hard-core Tua people were just SWEARING that he was at 100%. They wouldn't be deterred, and they completely rejected any sort of reason or information to the contrary of what they wanted to believe.

There is a certain sickness in American culture right now where facts are just rejected and strongly held beliefs, no matter how ridiculous, are held up as strength, conviction... bravery.

It makes me sad.
I don't recall anyone saying Tua was 100% last year. That would be a redicilous statement.

I don't recall anyone saying Tua was 100% last year. That would be a redicilous statement.
You are right, it was...

A couple of these goofs didn't even realize they were playing a game with semantics. They just wanted it to be true so badly... like flat earthers or conspiracy theorists.

You are right, it was...

A couple of these goofs didn't even realize they were playing a game with semantics. They just wanted it to be true so badly... like flat earthers or conspiracy theorists.
There is a chance he is still not 100% this year...
That's not an excuse just reality with the severity of his injury.

There is a chance he is still not 100% this year...
That's not an excuse just reality with the severity of his injury.
Which is exactly what the anti-drafting Tua people said. He MAY never really be the same, but many of the Tua Cult didn't want to hear that either...

...and that was what some of us found so disconcerting... it wasn't Tua, it was some of his slack-jawed fan-boys. There was this complete lack of realism with some of these guys.

Which is exactly what the anti-drafting Tua people said. He MAY never really be the same, but many of the Tua Cult didn't want to hear that either...

...and that was what some of us found so disconcerting... it wasn't Tua, it was some of his slack-jawed fan-boys. There was this complete lack of realism with some of these guys.
I'm an obvious Tua supporter from the start. But I believe he will fully recover. He might be already but I think it will be a little longer.

I'm an obvious Tua supporter from the start. But I believe he will fully recover. He might be already but I think it will be a little longer.
We all HOPE so... even most of the folks who are considered to be anti-Tua hope he'll be healthy AND successful.

Heck... any real Dolphin fan hopes the kid will be great, but suggesting that he MIGHT not doesn't make you a hater, it just means you are reasonable.

We all HOPE so... even most of the folks who are considered to be anti-Tua hope he'll be healthy AND successful.

Heck... any real Dolphin fan hopes the kid will be great, but suggesting that he MIGHT not doesn't make you a hater, it just means you are reasonable.
I don't hope. I Believe.

whoever thought Tua wasn’t playing @ 60% last season are ppl who really don’t follow football like most of us on finheaven. If I was the Gm I would of sat Tua the entire season. Tua had a potential career ending injury and he handled it like a pro. Tua is blessed and he’s about to show everyone why we drafted him.

It was the statement made by Tua himself, Flores, and the Dr. This was irritating at the time, because If it was true, Tua should have been playing. If it wasn't true, he should have been benchwarming. This based on the information that he was at no risk for re-injury.

I understand the distinction between 100% healthy and 100% capable, but I'm not really sure how this applies to the NFL practice of playing injured overall. I say this, because for the most part, everyone in the NFL is playing injured and at a reduced capacity for the majority of the season. The question typically is are they incapacItated, or are they still performing well enough to be better than their backup. This is why they use terms like "questionable" on the injury report. The Dolphins seemed to use this metric when Tua injured his thumb and they held him out, but not with the hip. We all know that as a general rule, Fitz was the more productive QB overall last year, so the whole situation was just odd. It couldn't have been to build his confidence, as they were willing to bench him for Fitz mid-game. While the nature of the injury might say that Tua shouldn't have been expected to perform at 100%, the way it was handled certainly did, and likewise, Tua will have to carry the weight of criticism because of it.

Please, if you're going to make a comment on the relief efforts of Fitz, have your facts correct. Against Denver, 12-18 for 117 yards. Led is back and yes, threw a pick. This was less than a quarter. Tua 11-20 for 83 yards and took 6, count em, 6 sacks!

Against Las Vegas, the "only won by a miracle" let's assess. In one quarter was 9 of 13 for 182 yards and a TD. Then led the game winning drive while having his helmet ripped off. Tua threw for a grand total of 94 yards in 3 quarters. This game he only took 3 sacks but was lost all game.

I get that you want to be "right" about whatever you're arguing but do not short change what Fitz did as luck. He was fantastic in his relief appearances last year.
Forget the miracle throw, without Gruden pulling one of the dumbest coaching moves of the year prior to that, Fitzy would have led the team to two losses in relief. Just fantastic...
I know you want to paint Tua as some hapless doof, but fluffing Fitzy's mediocre performances won't help

How is the distinction between having reached the point where it is as safe as it will get for you to play, while also not having regained your previous form such a foreign concept to some?

Have you never experienced a serious injury? If not, I'm happy for u. I severely injured my hand and required 7 surgeries. I was "fully healthy" and was able to be back on the basketball court one year later.

But it took me over two years before I was actually performing at 100% of my new ability. The danger of reinjuring my hand never changed during that extra time. I just had to restrengthen muscles. Relearn how to use a body part that was no longer quite the same. And regain my confidence.

I never fully recovered bc my injury was more serious and that wasn't possible. But in the year after I was declared "fully healthy," I went from dog**** on the court to pretty ****ing good.

I know we have a lot of athletes on this board. Plenty of u have had to have experienced significant injuries. Anyone that has def understands this concept.

Healthy/safe to play and having regained maximum form are NOT THE SAME THING.
It's not a foreign concept at all. My point is not that "safe to play" and "fully recovered" are the same thing. My point is that I don't believe that Flores and the Dolphins Training staff would play Tua and put his long term career at risk if he was only at 60% when they already had a competent QB, a 3-3 record, and were coming off of 2 dominating wins. I trust the Dolphins' training staff more than Tua's personal trainer. If the Dolphins did indeed do that and also felt Tua was only at 60%, it was a reckless and irresponsible decision on their part.

Exactly. There were a lot of red flags in addition to the massive red flag that the injury created, just as there are with any college prospect. I really got demonized for stating my concerns prior to the draft, but so far, it appears that I was right. That isn't being braggadocious, as most all my concerns were just common sense observations that anyone who watched him play in college would have picked up on if only they weren't blinded by the hype. Very few rookie QB's make it in this game, even with a great talent set, and that can only be magnified by a player who has to overcome a massive injury.

Having said all that, I understand the pick and the desire of fans to make it. It has been a QB wasteland in Miami since Marino retired. Still, there were healthy talented prospects later in the draft, which will always call into question the judgement used in making the pick. I don't hate that that they picked Tua, just would have preferred a healthy option. If they had traded up, I would have hated the pick, as it is right now, I just hope Tua ascends to greatness and validates the high risk that was his draft position.

Back
Top Bottom