Tua's a top 10 QB | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua's a top 10 QB

Yet Tua has played as well as or better than most every QB in the league over the past month. The fact some of his haters don’t recognize the handicap he is dealing with having to play on this offense just shows how little football understanding these haters really have.
its funny how the announcers who do our games seem to understand this yet some of our own fans don't seem to get it. shouldn't Tannehill be a perfect example? what about mahomes in the SB and even at times this year?? the games, especially now in the winter, are won on both sides of the line.. if you can't run the ball and stop the run then you can't win. look at how buffalo lost this week. they knew NE was going to run it every play yet still couldn't do a damn thing about it.

I don’t know if Tua is Top 10, but he’s either at the bottom of the Top 10 or the top of the 10-15 grouping.

More importantly, he’s excelling in a situation that would make a lot of great quarterbacks look bad. Who is the last quarterback to put up Top 10 stats with a bottom 3 OL and bottom 3 running game? Has it ever happened? Asking a QB to play well when you can’t block for him and can’t run the ball is basically impossible.

“Hey, you’ve got 2 seconds to pass and everyone knows you’re passing and unless you succeed with every pass, you’re going to be behind the chains because we can’t run it. Go get ‘em!”

My expectations prior to this season was that Tua should be 250 yards with 2td/1int a game and slide into the top 15 QBs.

He's on par with that despite our high priced WRs almost never playing and behind unarguably the worst Oline in the NFL.

In short, he's doing fantastic. Very excited to see him continue to blossom.

Did y'all see his post-game interview after the Giants game? I finally just saw it. He didn't seem his normal cheery self, particularly after a win that he helped make happen in a significant way.

He beat himself up about his passes, which I get...that drive is there, win or lose with him. He was slightly off on a few passes that could've made this game a blowout, but overall he was very good...but that's not enough for him.

If current Tua isn't good enough for some fans, that's OK, 'cuz it's not good enough for Tua either...it will get better. The kid is obsessed with being better, and he learns on the fly...contrast that with Tannehill, who also learned, but very slowly. I know it sounds like a broken record, but give him his time. He's trending toward that "career franchise QB" level, not the bust level. He hasn't had that game that tells everybody "I've arrived," but he's sure as hell flashing it.

I was surprised at how down he was in that interview, but I get it. And getting him some help would go a long way.

Believe it or not, Tua is playing to win each game. He is not playing to optimize his QBR or his QB Power Ranking or even his weekly fantasy points. I get the impression that at times some analytics guys have a bit of a fantasy football perspective by fixating on his numbers and ranking. Be mindful that Coach Flo, his coaching team, Tua and his teammates are focused on just winning each game.
Myles Gaskin won my respect in the preseason when asked in a press conference about his pre-fantasy draft projected improvement buzz by going up the RB rankings and his response was beautiful and dismissively brutal in that he explained that actually plays football not fantasy football and went straight to the next question.

I agree. And Tuas main goal is to reach the playoffs.

The franchise isn't doing Tua wrong, he has to understand that this a business and he needs to produce and look the part of a franchise QB, hence he has produced at ah a high rate.

Believe it or not, Tua is playing to win each game. He is not playing to optimize his QBR or his QB Power Ranking or even his weekly fantasy points. I get the impression that at times some analytics guys have a bit of a fantasy football perspective by fixating on his numbers and ranking. Be mindful that Coach Flo, his coaching team, Tua and his teammates are focused on just winning each game.
As opposed to every, single other QB in the league?

Nope. Sorry, but I don't believe that. I think the QBs that get good stats don't care about winning, just helping their FF teams, because they drafted themselves.

As opposed to every, single other QB in the league?

Nope. Sorry, but I don't believe that. I think the QBs that get good stats don't care about winning, just helping their FF teams, because they drafted themselves.
You're missing the point.

Every QB is in a different situation. On some teams, the team gets its best chance of winning by throwing the ball all over the place. Usually, those teams have great pass blocking OLs and great receivers. Often they have so so or poor defenses.

Then there are differences in offensive system styles. Flores is just not going to run the same offense as Andy Reid.

Every QB is trying to win. The fact that a conservative offense gives Miami the best chance to win doesn't matter to Tua (or any QB most likely), but it does limit his stats and give his detractors ammunition.

Here’s a nice long breakdown segment on Tua and our RPO offense from former NFL QB JT O’Sullivan. He’s actually done a few of these on Tua already so you can dig deeper into the channel if you’d like.

Latest QBR rankings have Tua at #7. I know rankings aren't everything but that is pretty significant, especially when you see the top 10.

It's all the familiar characters.

By the way, Allen is ranked #8 and Mac Jones is #14.

Herbert is #1, followed by Brady.

ESPN QBR has him ranked #7

Folks can debate what that is all they want.

It’s still a statistical measurement of performance.

And Tua is 7th best in his first 16 games in that statistical measure.

Cool…
I'll admit I've been one of the more vocal basher of QBR, because I thought their "clutch factor" part of the equation was complete hogwash. Turns out they took it out 5 years ago, so yeah, negative points for me.

I'll also admit the only reason I found out is because I went back and checked because Tua was good in it. I dont care.

Here’s a nice long breakdown segment on Tua and our RPO offense from former NFL QB JT O’Sullivan. He’s actually done a few of these on Tua already so you can dig deeper into the channel if you’d like.

Very encouraging. I love the fact that there are plays left on the field. IMO, Tua will get even better with experience and hit those. Also, with more explosive players around him, more of those slants and runs are going to be broken for big gains.

This Twitter thread reminded me of my thought process in this post.

Not a bash on Tua. Didn't have a great day. A good day yes. He's definitely capable of making those throws but he seemed off a bit.

He had ball placement issues. He admitted it in the post game interview. He also missed open wrs

Am I wrong feeling that a lot of you care more about Tua than you do about the actual Dolphins team?
This is the my first NFL forum that Ive belonged to so I don't have much of a baseline.
Is this behavior normal? It's like the movie "Single White Female" in here when it comes to Tua.
It's like there is Tua and the Dolphins are an after thought.

Am I wrong feeling that a lot of you care more about Tua than you do about the actual Dolphins team?
This is the my first NFL forum that Ive belonged to so I don't have much of a baseline.
Is this behavior normal? It's like the movie "Single White Female" in here when it comes to Tua.
It's like there is Tua and the Dolphins are an after thought.
QB related posts are always far and away the most common posts on most message boards. Make that QB a top 5 pick with some vocal critics and that's just a multiplier.

Very encouraging. I love the fact that there are plays left on the field. IMO, Tua will get even better with experience and hit those. Also, with more explosive players around him, more of those slants and runs are going to be broken for big gains.
Not to mention how much better the RPO's will be with an improved running game.

Back
Top Bottom