Tuesday 6/22/04 QB Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuesday 6/22/04 QB Camp Report

Finsflurry

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
If you guys are wondering how I got in, let me give you a little background info...My father went to Stephen F. Austin and he and Brad Roll were very close the time they were there, as Roll trained my father for track and they have stayed close ever since. I see him about twice a year on my dad's birthday and mine, so I don't get to talk to him much. He usually doesn't divulge anything about the Dolphins to me but I asked him to let me come as his nephew today and finally he hooked me up. Anyways, on the practice.

The rookies got extensive action today, most notably Bua and Russell, who both had terrific days which I shall get on to. First they warmed up, etc., Mare continues to kick the ball real well, hopefully this is a sign that he is back to form and ready to take over his spot as the top kicker in the league. Turk is still not getting the distance and hangtime that he had last year, maybe he's just slacking off because it's minicamp or maybe it's because he's getting a little older and stiffer, I assume its the former. Fred Russell got a lot of action returning punts, you can really tell the difference from a couple weeks ago, he looked much more polished and confident back there. Terrence Wilkins has been helping him alot, even if he doesn't make the team he has helped Russell out tremendously, which I appreciate because he could have been looking out for his self and not caring about an undrafted rookie. Russell had one bad bobble where he lost it in the sun, but other than that he was timing the punts well so he got a running start and caught it at near full sprint and was blowing by guys with his jukes, notably Ayanbadejo who juked out of his shorts twice. The CB's int drills were solid by everyone except Freeman and Edwards, Freeman dropped all three attempts and Edwards two. I don't wanna complain or anything but they have been doing this consistently for the past 2 months and I don't like the lack of concentration shown on their part. They cracked up together everytime they went back into the line, good you idiots have fun together while Bell comes in and takes your jobs....speaking of Bell, had another fantastic day of 0 mistakes and several deflections and tackles.

The o-line did much better this week, namely our 2 maulers in Carey and James. Vernon is outplaying St.Clair to the point that he is already on the first team unit before training camp even starts. He just has what it takes to excel in this league both mentally and physically, where St. Clair will be a bit player unless he moves inside. Jeno James is Jaime Nails times 2, and I'm talking Jaime in his best year with us when he was almost a pro bowler. He has more speed and strength despite weighing less and gets off the blocks like a mad man, especially on the tosses and sweeps where he usually takes out a minimum of 2 guys (he had a block early on where he sent Zach flying into Freeman, knocking them both out of the play then he got up and hit Knight lol). David Boston and CC were great out of the recievers, while that third spot still has me worried as the majority of completions today were either to CC or DB or one of the tes/rbs. Derrius looked the best out of them, which isn't saying much trust me....I'd really like another established guy in here, it would soothe my nerves a ton.

The qbs looked great warming up, Jay and AJ were throwing lasers all over the field. Sage had a bad bout of inconsistency today, one pass was perfect while the next was atrocious, and he continued that throughout the day. Finally they scrimmaged here are some highlights as it was the longest scrimmage yet.

Ricky 3 yds off right
Ricky nearly breaks one on the play I described about Jeno
Jay cross pattern to CC, high but complete
Jay incomplete deep pass to Boston who had no one within ten yards but Jay had some pressure and flung it too deep
Jay sacked by JT who flipped to St.Clairs side and John didn't even touch him
Ricky 2 yd draw
Jay rollout to Konrad 5 yds
Ricky off left great block by James, Ricky cuts back and gets a seal off block from Carey that springs him for another 10
Jay picked off by Bua on a tipped ball, Tony jumped about 5 yards and I couldnt tell if he trapped it but he got up and ran and they counted the play
AJ in, pitch to Minor 7 yds on a sweep
AJ incompete to Donald Lee, overthrown
AJ short rollout to McMichael agian overthrown, he in not very good at throwing on the run
AJ complete short to Minor, 3 yds
Draw to Minor, hit in backfield by JT
JT turnstiles Smith and forces AJ to scramble out of bounds
Jay in, JT sacks him again as he beat Jones this time
Jay laser across the middle to DBos, 15 yds
Jay deep out nearly picked by Surtain, similar to Marcus Robinsons's pick
Jay rollout to Ricky 5 yds
Screen to Konrad 18 yds off block by Carey
Ricky 10 yds off left following McKinney and James
Jay nearly sacked, but gets it off to the sideline to McMichael
Jay comes up with a slight limp so he's off to the bench
AJ handoff to Russell 20 yds on very nice jukes
AJ deep cross to Chambers 25 yds on a tight spiral
AJ PA fake, throws deep to Boston right on the money TD! About a 45 yard throw that him in right in stride then Boston ran stiff-armed Howard and highstepped into the end zone....Best play all offseason
AJ zings one to R-Mac, damn was that a bullet
Russell screen pass 7 yds
AJ rollout to Morris 8 yds
AJ 30 yd strike to Chambers on the deep seam, wow has he got it going on right now, Trestman is freaking beaming
AJ follows up with another 25 yd cross to DBoston, defense calls timeout...damn AJ I like what I see
Russell 15 yd jaunt, he is too quick for the covering LB (Ayanbadejo)
Morris hit in backfield by Bua
Morris hit in backfield agian by Bua on his second consecutive blitz
Jay Williams almost sacks Feeley who gets it off to R-Mac 10 yds
Feeley another bomb right on the money but Newson dropped it, damn that would have been 6 too
Jay back in, throws his own nice bomb to Simmons who juggles it and gets smacked by Poole, so he drops it...not liking that slot position right now
Jay another laser caught by Chambers, who jukes and gets 10 more yards
Ricky 2 yd gain to the right
Ricky 4 yds off left
Jay quick out to R-Mac
Jay quick out to Lee
Jay square in to Boston, Jay's looking real good too
Final play I saw Jay completed a quick slant to Minnis

3 stars:

AJ Feeley: Again, had that dominating stretch where he looked like a different QB, and was overall pretty consistent for the day

Tony Bua: Had a couple nice stops in the backfield showing he could blitz effectively, and also good coverage with great instincts on the INT

Fred Russell: Played well on both ST's and the scrimmage, several nice runs and great moves

Highlight: Feeley's pass, best play of the offseason and one of the best throws this decade for this team even though it was just minicamp a Manning-type throw

Lowlight: Jay's int, bad pass protection and even worse throw, but highlighted by Bua's great effort

Thanks alot for the report. Keep up the good work. Hopefully AJ will stay in that "Manning" type of play. :D

Section126 said:
Great report, Is this Fred Russell thing really a threat to Minor? What do you think?

I don't think he's a threat to take the backup role, but I do think he's a threat to take the third down back/draw play role away from him.

Awesome man thx! For all the ? makrs this off-season i feel pretty confident.Keep em commin if u can pull off anymore nephew gets in's. O BTW is the defence hitting hard, or jus playin it safe?

Gee, can we have Jay in for the short pass plays and AJ for the deep ones?

No?

Damn.

Thanks Fin, great news from a closed camp, guess you were a little lucky today. :bravo:

Its nice to hear, that at least both QBs are performing rather well (don't want to cause an uproar if you know what I mean). ;)

Also good to hear more detailed performance on some of our rookies. :woot:

Keep up the great work...:up:

I Love Camp Reports!

It makes me feel all warm inside!

This report is like chocolate in the middle of the night. I almost feel guilty for reading it.

Great report, thanks. It's very good to see that the qbs can make some good passes, especially AJ and the deep pass. We'll see how things go when the pads go on and the real hitting starts.

Thanks for the scoop.Its encouraging.I wouldnt be too worried about DBs dropping balls.Most of them are WRs with bad hands.The important thing is to be in position to break up the plays.

Man this is great to get some news, when I thought it would be boring. Thanks so much for sharing, I needed that fix. Now I can go on debating with the rest of the guys on this site..LOL>.

Back
Top Bottom