Tunsil Say's They Were "unprepared"....... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tunsil Say's They Were "unprepared".......

The early '70s teams were not soft. Far from it. They weren't exactly the later '70s Steelers or the '85 Bears in terms of physicality on defense, but they were an amazing combination of tough and incredibly smart.

The offensive line defined that team. We pushed people around on the ground. Younger fans wouldn't realize that those games often ended at 3:35 or 3:40 PM. Miami would get the ball back in our territory with 7 or 8 minutes remaining and you knew darn well the game was over. We would methodically churn out one first down after another until the clock expired. The cameras would shift to opposing fans filing out of the stadium in total silence.

That is why I never respected the Marino era and am still in disbelief that it is somehow applauded and cherished. As you say, it was soft football. Insulting football, at least to some of us who witnessed Shula earlier with the Dolphins and previously with the Colts.

Don Shula didn't adjust with the times. He betrayed himself and everything he previously stood for. The results were proper, given that abandonment and laziness.

Fortunately just as the Dolphins became a cupcake team in the '80s the Canes somehow jumpstarted a fluke era of sustained dominance. Then as that era came to an end in the early 2000s my alma mater USC had another run of glory under Pete Carroll.

I really can't complain. The three football teams I have rooted for have fared extremely well.

But I am disgusted at the patience with Ryan Tannehill because that type of thinking does not lead to excellence. He is not terrible. He is far worse than that. He is ongoing average.

which is the worst place to be. average gets big contract extensions and keeps you around. alot of cincy fans i know wish dalton would of been a complete bust. then they could of moved on and had a chance at getting someone special. instead you get someone who gives you games that you think that he could be the guy but in totality he's middle of the road. So he hangs around, gets extensions and becomes an albatross hiding in plain sight

Zone blocking is HEAVILY scheme dependent and struggles with adversity, such as stunts and blitzes.

It also doesn't help that our interior is substandard and our RBs and TEs have no idea how to pick up a blitz or even throw a proper block for that matter.
vikings look, stronger and fast right out the gate. And we look slow, weak and confused the whole game. The blocking was the worst I have ever seen. 9 sacks wow. At one point I saw drake trying to block with his body, trying to jus get in between ryan and the rusher...

The early '70s teams were not soft. Far from it. They weren't exactly the later '70s Steelers or the '85 Bears in terms of physicality on defense, but they were an amazing combination of tough and incredibly smart.

The offensive line defined that team. We pushed people around on the ground. Younger fans wouldn't realize that those games often ended at 3:35 or 3:40 PM. Miami would get the ball back in our territory with 7 or 8 minutes remaining and you knew darn well the game was over. We would methodically churn out one first down after another until the clock expired. The cameras would shift to opposing fans filing out of the stadium in total silence.

That is why I never respected the Marino era and am still in disbelief that it is somehow applauded and cherished. As you say, it was soft football. Insulting football, at least to some of us who witnessed Shula earlier with the Dolphins and previously with the Colts.

Don Shula didn't adjust with the times. He betrayed himself and everything he previously stood for. The results were proper, given that abandonment and laziness.

Fortunately just as the Dolphins became a cupcake team in the '80s the Canes somehow jumpstarted a fluke era of sustained dominance. Then as that era came to an end in the early 2000s my alma mater USC had another run of glory under Pete Carroll.

I really can't complain. The three football teams I have rooted for have fared extremely well.

But I am disgusted at the patience with Ryan Tannehill because that type of thinking does not lead to excellence. He is not terrible. He is far worse than that. He is ongoing average.

It's NOT the same game...

The league is *flash* and *show* -- more like a track meet...

That said, I still think there's a place for POWER FOOTBALL -- but you'll NEVER (NEVER) see the brilliant OL work of Miami in the early 70s again!

It's NOT the same game...

The league is *flash* and *show* -- more like a track meet...

That said, I still think there's a place for POWER FOOTBALL -- but you'll NEVER (NEVER) see the brilliant OL work of Miami in the early 70s again!

With most teams switching to smaller faster defenses while playing a lot more base nickle, I think building a dominant offensive line coupled with a power running game could be very effective especially if you combine it with faster big play making guys at the skill positions. Don't think our current coaching staff is the group that would do that.

All you have to do is see HOW Gase has attempted to use Gesicki

to realize he's pretty clueless in terms of optimizing talent...

It's been so bad I have to wonder if Gase is trying to make some kind of "example"

out of the kid? Maybe throwing it back in the face of the draft dudes?

Other than something "weird" like that it's hard to understand why

a certified "PROfessional NFL Offensive Guru" would ask a dude to do crap he can't do.

That's been my complaint all along. Draft a RECEIVING TE, but refuse to use the weapon til he learns to block. 'I don't care about WINNING, I can about teaching him to block.'

Here's the deal - when a football team struggles to play away from home, it's the sign of a mentally weak football team that lacks leadership. The mentality of a football team always starts with the coach and quarterback.

The players aren't stupid. They can look around and see all the poor players Miami has constructed their roster with. They know they have no shot. The Dolphins have at minimum 10 players in key roles that they need to be able to count on that are garbage - and I don't mean garbage by NFL standards. Some of 'em are garbage by any standard. Just pathetic.

Miami is poorly coached, woefully unprepared, and has no leadership. They have three players that are worth what they're compensated.

You don't watch enough NFL. I've seen you concede as much many times.

The Dolphins have a perfectly normal roster based on the middle of the league. That's ongoing and the reason we have won 6 to 10 games every season since 2008. That can't happen if your personnel is garbage. I'll take a decade worth of sample size above any subjective assertion.

Minnesota has had a disappointing season but quite a few special players, especially on defense. Those players were eligible to return to 2017 form and they did yesterday, making us look bad.

But just imagine if some backup running back on a garbage college opponent broke free on an untouched 75 yard touchdown run to open the second half against Alabama. Nick Saban would be in disbelief and going nuts, even if it was from a specialized offense like Citadel. Meanwhile that happened for the Dolphins yesterday and nobody on either side acted as if it was a monumental fluke. We had a 50+ yard touchdown run from a different backup running back the week prior. That is simply NFL reality, when even seemingly overmatched teams are not that far away from a physical standpoint.

Miami does not have dedicated players. That is maddening and such a contrast to the Dolphins I grew up with in the '70s. I have emphasized it countless times. The personnel department does a terrible job in prioritizing those self-motivated types.

Until that changes, nothing good will happen. We have to field a roster with mentality like the Ravens, in which even poor situational spots like at Kansas City and playing with a one-dimensional rookie quarterback can be (almost) overcome via a relentless attitude and plenty of intelligent play.

I agree that the linebacking is dreadful. That is one position where we are Crap instead of Crowd, and it shows up countless times per game. Jerome Baker looks like an Ethiopian distance runner out there. Yes, he can run but my gosh does he get washed out with ease. Total non-factor. I tried to maintain belief in McMillan but he is a plodder and not starting caliber.

Also, our special teams are elite. That in itself keeps us in many games and has decided some in our favor. The punt return team had some letdown yesterday but as long as we keep booming them out there I'll take my chances.

The special teams can easily dictate field position all day against weak offensive teams like the Jaguars and Bills.

One thing about Gase -- he's been consistent in his inability to put together impressive outings...

It's like the dude only has 3 or 4 answers to a test with 16 questions.

And he answers the questions with the answers he prefers, not the answers the question requires.
Question 1; Your OL is so porous, the QB has 2.25 sec to get the pass off. What is the proper play to call?
Gase: Easy, peasy. Call a pass play that requires 3 sec for the receivers to clear. All the OL has to do is execute.

You don't watch enough NFL. I've seen you concede as much many times.

The Dolphins have a perfectly normal roster based on the middle of the league. That's ongoing and the reason we have won 6 to 10 games every season since 2008. That can't happen if your personnel is garbage. I'll take a decade worth of sample size above any subjective assertion.

Minnesota has had a disappointing season but quite a few special players, especially on defense. Those players were eligible to return to 2017 form and they did yesterday, making us look bad.

But just imagine if some backup running back on a garbage college opponent broke free on an untouched 75 yard touchdown run to open the second half against Alabama. Nick Saban would be in disbelief and going nuts, even if it was from a specialized offense like Citadel. Meanwhile that happened for the Dolphins yesterday and nobody on either side acted as if it was a monumental fluke. We had a 50+ yard touchdown run from a different backup running back the week prior. That is simply NFL reality, when even seemingly overmatched teams are not that far away from a physical standpoint.

Miami does not have dedicated players. That is maddening and such a contrast to the Dolphins I grew up with in the '70s. I have emphasized it countless times. The personnel department does a terrible job in prioritizing those self-motivated types.

Until that changes, nothing good will happen. We have to field a roster with mentality like the Ravens, in which even poor situational spots like at Kansas City and playing with a one-dimensional rookie quarterback can be (almost) overcome via a relentless attitude and plenty of intelligent play.

I agree that the linebacking is dreadful. That is one position where we are Crap instead of Crowd, and it shows up countless times per game. Jerome Baker looks like an Ethiopian distance runner out there. Yes, he can run but my gosh does he get washed out with ease. Total non-factor. I tried to maintain belief in McMillan but he is a plodder and not starting caliber.

Also, our special teams are elite. That in itself keeps us in many games and has decided some in our favor. The punt return team had some letdown yesterday but as long as we keep booming them out there I'll take my chances.

The special teams can easily dictate field position all day against weak offensive teams like the Jaguars and Bills.

No, Saban knows that's what happens when one person doesn't do their job against an option offense. He preached it all week leading up to the game. He wasn't in disbelief. Savion Smith is the weak link of Bama's defense that you attack - whether you're the Citadel or Georgia.

Admittedly, I don't watch the NFL like all of you do. But what I do understand is how difficult it is to remain mediocre for as long as the Dolphins have. It's absolutely mind blowing that they've accomplished it. The structure of the league simply isn't set up for that. It's designed for bad teams to turn it around and become good in the span of 2 years.

The fact that Miami is really one of the only teams that haven't benefited from the league's welfare infrastructure is a credit to how clueless they really are. It's astonishing.

That depends on a lot of things. As I’ve already mentioned earlier, stats without context don’t tell the whole story. I’d rather believe what I see with my own eyes. Can you honestly say that Taylor wasn’t playing well and emerging as a good player before he got hurt and that the run D is better off without him?

Probably our best defensive lineman
but the fact remains our run defense
is basically the same...TRASH

No, Saban knows that's what happens when one person doesn't do their job against an option offense. He preached it all week leading up to the game. He wasn't in disbelief. Savion Smith is the weak link of Bama's defense that you attack - whether you're the Citadel or Georgia.

Admittedly, I don't watch the NFL like all of you do. But what I do understand is how difficult it is to remain mediocre for as long as the Dolphins have. It's absolutely mind blowing that they've accomplished it. The structure of the league simply isn't set up for that. It's designed for bad teams to turn it around and become good in the span of 2 years.

The fact that Miami is really one of the only teams that haven't benefited from the league's welfare infrastructure is a credit to how clueless they really are. It's astonishing.
The redskins I think are the NFC version of the Dolphins. Since their last SB appearance in 1992, the skins have 0 seasons with 11+ wins, only 3 division titles. Since 2000 they only have one playoff win just like Miami. Since 92, redskins have been between 5-9 wins 18 times and only had less than 4 wins twice. Even worse for Washington is they’ve had to watch the rest of their division win at least one SB since they last did.

vikings look, stronger and fast right out the gate. And we look slow, weak and confused the whole game. The blocking was the worst I have ever seen. 9 sacks wow. At one point I saw drake trying to block with his body, trying to jus get in between ryan and the rusher...
Yep, confused on defense too.
Players looking at each other like "weren't YOU supposed to be on that guy"?

Everybody on the offensive line except for Tunsil, Ryan Tannehill, Devante Parker, Charles Harris, Reshad Jones, T.J. McDonald, whatever warm body they throw in there at CB opposite Howard, Mike Gesicki, Andre Branch, Kiko Alonso...

That spin move Dalvin Cook put on Jerome Baker in the hole yesterday was inexcusable for an NFL starter. Meanwhile, R. McMillian was busy getting blocked 10 yards downfield after overrunning the play to begin with. The linebacker play is piss poor....even for rookies.

Now, name me 5 players that outperform what the Dolphins are paying 'em.

OFF: Tunsil Sitton Wilson Grant Drake Ballage
DEF: X Minkah McCain Baker Taylor Godcheaux
About 12-15 decent young players. Not much.

Back
Top Bottom