Tush push thoughts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tush push thoughts

it will be banned in the offseason. not sure they can do anything now.

its a loophole in the rules.

It should be illegal. A defender can't push another defender so why can an offensive player? Half of the time Hurt's feet aren't even on the ground. He's literally being lifted by the TE and RB behind him.
This . More often than not Hurts was pushed / picked up over the scrum at the line without his feet touching the ground. Philly is good at this - no doubt and shouldn't be penalized for being better than rest of league. But you can't catapult players, jump off players, drag, etc. Pushing used to be illegal and considered aiding the runner. NFL changed that back in 2005. I see no reason not to turn the clock back in the name of player safety or just from the sense that aiding the runner was never ok on principle. The rules committee takes the safety issue up for everything else. Why not for this?

Look. It a legal play and i wished we had it in our "arsenal". I hate it when its used against us but its up to the defense to figure out how to stop it. The wildcat was killing teams till defense adjusted

If you had to pick one play that beat us, it was this one. They ran it 4 times and converted every time mostly leading to points.

What would stop the defense in a goal to go situation from just teeing off on a o lineman before the snap on multiple successive plays? Defensive offsides -half the distance to the goal - so what. Just punish the offensive linemen. Maybe get them to retaliate and move them back 15 yards.
You make them think about it and pay for it.

I think it’s garbage and the main reason why I rooted so heavily for the Chiefs in the SB. The Eagles do that **** routinely, almost every time they need a yard or less. It’s really annoying to watch.

I fear for Jalen Hurts getting sandwiched between his blockers and the DL one day.
They have 350 pound linemen back there. I suggest as a counter, the defense puts a big ass scrub DT in the next play. Destroy the QB on a late hit. Be happy to roll with the 15 yards with the warning from Wilkins to our opponents’s center..”next time y’all try that rugby crap, we’ll return the favor again.
Giants v Bills, Bills did the tush push. No whistle to end the play till after 10 seconds, Allen was finally pushed into the end zone. I rewound and counted. Yet RB will struggle for a yard and they blow the play dead.

Last edited:
Never used to be a legal play in football. Now it is and it needs to go. Why was it legalized in the first place? This is not rugby and never was.

Already can imagine what direction this post will go, buttt..,,

Why in the hell is the NFL allowing it? Sure as hell can’t be player safety and have to think at some point a quarterback is going to get severely hurt by getting pushed in two directions.

FWIW, the Giants ended up with both their center and tight end hurt on an unsuccessful one yesterday.

For now, seeing as the NFL sees it works against the Dolphins, they will do their best to keep allowing it to be done until it becomes a problem to one of their other teams, or injuries start happening to other teams not Dolphins.

It seems like they get 2-3 yards per attempt. The NFL will only ban it if some team (Eagles) start tush pushing on 1st-2nd-3rd- and get a first down on 4 straight tush pushes.

From the sound of Kelce after the game, this play takes a toll on the linemen. I wonder if on the snap all of our d-line could grab the back of the helmets of their linemen and shove their head down and throw them forward. Then that just leaves Hurts being shoved by the TE and RB and you could really get a shot at him since he is on top of the O-line and not down.

I think it is a garbage play.

It was called “Assisting the Runner” and illegal until 2005 when they changed the rule to allow pushing a runner forward. Pulling or carrying a runner forward is still not allowed.

Back
Top Bottom