TUSH PUSH TO BE BANNED??????????? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TUSH PUSH TO BE BANNED???????????

Don't be an idiot. It's a ridiculously dangerous play that's going to put someone in the hospital and is as cheat-y as it gets.
If I were coach it’s the only play I would use… it’s Czonka-esque - 3 yards and a cloud of dust…I guess that’s why I’m not coach…????

I'll give the Eagles credit for mastering it! No one can stop it. It's an automatic first down or touchdown every time they run it. Having said that, there's no place for that crap in football. Next year get rid of it. While we are on the topic of rules, they also need to do away with the garbage pass interference call. It is NEVER called consistently and it ruins games. It's a stupid rule because you are "assuming" the receiver would have caught the ball. That's a big assumption.
Ok - not arguing here - just curious - so guy is grabbed or tackled or held and that stops him from catching the ball - what’s the call in your opinion? 15 yards?

The rule must avoid giving the player or team penalty an upside - so if a player “interferes” 40 yards down field and the penalty is 15 yards it advantage to interfere..

I agree completely that it looks weak to try and ban a play that a team is so dominant at.

However…..

I think they don’t want more teams doing this in the future. Which would likely be the case if the play isn’t banned.

I agree completely that it looks weak to try and ban a play that a team is so dominant at.

However…..

I think they don’t want more teams doing this in the future. Which would likely be the case if the play isn’t banned.
A comparable would be decades ago, the Titans beat the Pats in a playoff game by contacting Pats receivers early and often. Thus was born the Belicheat rule.

Normall

However…..

Exactly, they don't want teams copying this in the near future. The day will come when the NFL needs to bring a stretcher out onto the field because the QB (or whatever ball carrier) breaks their back on the play. Give the Eagles the rest of the season with it then ban it.

Last edited:
Leave this in Fins area for 24 hours then moved to General.

Any one have further info on this?
Peoples thoughts, please discuss.

Players pushing players has always been a dangerous tactic and wont be allowed. The only way to combat it is for the defense to use the same tactic, and thats not just dangerous it is bad football nobody will want to watch.

To me, it doesn't feel like football.

I respect how good the Eagles run this play with Hurts. But even if Miami ran it equally as well I wouldn't love the play.

Agree with Feverdream on this one. Hard to understand why it is legal. Also, if it's not chop blocking it's pretty close.

IMO it should have been banned last season. It is illegal for the defense to push another defensive player from behind due to injury concerns. There's no reason it shouldn't be the same for offensive players. And frankly the game is better when the offensive and defensive rules are more equal.

They shouldn't be allowed to ban in during this season or postseason. That's BS for the Eagles. Let them have their play, they are amazing at it even if it is cheesy as hell.

HOWEVER......
I also misread that at first as saying in the postseason…

It says they’re planning to do it in the offseason. So I think that’s fair.

Either ban the play or allow the d-line to jump over the o-line, push each other, etc.

The play takes advantage of rules against the defense, so either level the playing field or ban it. Only way to make it fair

Personally, I think it’s totally stupid to ban it. So, a team found something that works within the current rules and now teams cry and bitch because they can’t stop it? Figure out how to stop it or learn how to do it yourself.

It’s like in baseball now, they wanna get rid of the shift because it shuts down pull hitters. Hey batter, learn how to hit all all fields assholes. If you wanna play and stay in the Majors learn the art of hitting
I think it’s different than the baseball one - which I agree sounds dumb.

This play can’t be stopped. Any play that has 100% chance or thereabouts of success you have to ask is this really good for the game? Barring a bad snap it’s an automatic. Like a PAT used to be. That’s why they moved it back as it was uninteresting. Same w this play. And then on top of that it’s apparently very unsafe. I never liked it when they started allowing offensive players to help the ball carriers by grabbing and pushing the pile. That’s very new - using hands etc.

Either ban the play or allow the d-line to jump over the o-line, push each other, etc.

The play takes advantage of rules against the defense, so either level the playing field or ban it. Only way to make it fair
Right. Let defensive players climb on each others backs like they used to be able to do. That was banned when the Vikings got too good at blocking FGs as it was dangerous and created an unfair advantage for defenses. Very similar scenario here.

Back
Top Bottom