UDFA Pick ups | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UDFA Pick ups

Seattle would land Austin Hill. He can play. Big WR who can high point the ball, and his COD is as good as any WR his size in the draft. Great year in 2012. Due to injury, he didn't play in 2013. With 2014 being his first year back from injury, and with him playing with an inexperienced QB, I saw Hill as a great value and very underrated. Seattle gonna Seattle.

yeah I liked Austin Hill as well... was sad to see him elsewhere.

and to JC, yeah PLummer I knew many liked as well.. .was stinky to see him elsewhere too.

Does anybody know why Adam Shead from Oklahoma hasn't been signed by anyone? I thought he was a better prospect than Dionte Savage, who signed with Miami.

Miami Dolphins Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Signings:

WR- Demarr Aultman from Maine
WR- Nigel King from Kansas
WR- Christion Jones from Alabama
WR- Lemar Durant from Simon Fraser

OL- Mickey Baucus from Arizona
OL- Michael Liedtke from Illinois State

DL- Ellis McCarthy from UCLA
DL- Kendall Montgomery from Bowling Green
DL- Ray Drew from Georgia

LB- Mike Hull from Penn State
LB- Zach Vigil from Utah State
LB- Jeff Luc from Cincinnati
LB- Neville Hewitt from Marshall

P- Matt Darr from Tennessee
K- Andrew Franks from RPI

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Liedtke is interesting, out of Illinois State. Started at Western Michigan which is a decent MAC program then transferred to Illinois State where he played left tackle. At a shade under 6'4 he knows he doesn't have the frame to be a tackle at the pro level so he's been working on training at the guard/center combo on the pre-draft training according to one of the links below. The other link seems to indicate that the metrics guys may like him.

http://www.nwherald.com/2015/02/13/...-illinois-state-grad-michael-liedtke/ah6o7u9/

http://3sigmaathlete.com

Yeah, I saw Liedtke mentioned last week on those SPARQ sites. The Seahawks websites are so far ahead of the curve right now it's more than laughable. Everybody else is mostly guessing...stabbing at names...while those writers have a logical plan to identify who Seattle is likely to be interested in. The connect percentage is fantastic.

It reminds me of the early computer era in which that region lapped the field.

Naturally there is going to be reluctance to accept this type of thing. Everybody wants to believe they can do it the old fashioned way. After all, it's more satisfying that way, isn't it? Hey, I found that guy with my own eyes. My own tape. Whatever. Bully for me.

Meanwhile, the automated approach simply owns too many edges. Seattle in this Carroll era has not drafted a cornerback with less than 32 inch arms. I saw that tidbit, among other things, on the Seattle websites doing the "roster mirroring." So while the traditional draftniks waste time looking at everybody, Seattle whittles down the field. Their burden is lower because they are only going to consider specific types. The evaluation is done months and years ahead of time via the formulas being in place. It lends itself to more clarity and less second guessing.

Obviously there will be overlap. The subjective types can stumble upon the great athlete without knowing or caring about his shuttle time or arm length. But give me the crutch. For example, Lane Johnson is on that list of 3 Sigma Athletes. There are only a handful of them in the entire league. Two years ago I knew Lane Johnson looked freakishly athletic in those drills. I preferred him immensely over the kid from Central Michigan who went first to Kansas City. The tackle from Texas A&M looked good...very polished, but I liked Johnson better. When we traded up I assumed it was for Johnson, not for Dion Jordan who had flunked the SACKSeer and other metric models. If I had those SPARQ numbers handy at the time it would have been outrageous to consider Jordan above Johnson. But since we had only subjectivity at our disposal, we found a way, and we blew it.

The 3 Sigma designation means that Lane Johnson, if healthy and with his head on straight, will likely continue to bloom toward stardom. I already saw one source that listed him as second best right tackle in the league.

Does anybody know why Adam Shead from Oklahoma hasn't been signed by anyone? I thought he was a better prospect than Dionte Savage, who signed with Miami.

Good question. Wouldn't hurt to bring him in and see if he can make the team.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Yeah, I saw Liedtke mentioned last week on those SPARQ sites. The Seahawks websites are so far ahead of the curve right now it's more than laughable. Everybody else is mostly guessing...stabbing at names...while those writers have a logical plan to identify who Seattle is likely to be interested in. The connect percentage is fantastic.

It reminds me of the early computer era in which that region lapped the field.

Naturally there is going to be reluctance to accept this type of thing. Everybody wants to believe they can do it the old fashioned way. After all, it's more satisfying that way, isn't it? Hey, I found that guy with my own eyes. My own tape. Whatever. Bully for me.

Meanwhile, the automated approach simply owns too many edges. Seattle in this Carroll era has not drafted a cornerback with less than 32 inch arms. I saw that tidbit, among other things, on the Seattle websites doing the "roster mirroring." So while the traditional draftniks waste time looking at everybody, Seattle whittles down the field. Their burden is lower because they are only going to consider specific types. The evaluation is done months and years ahead of time via the formulas being in place. It lends itself to more clarity and less second guessing.

Obviously there will be overlap. The subjective types can stumble upon the great athlete without knowing or caring about his shuttle time or arm length. But give me the crutch. For example, Lane Johnson is on that list of 3 Sigma Athletes. There are only a handful of them in the entire league. Two years ago I knew Lane Johnson looked freakishly athletic in those drills. I preferred him immensely over the kid from Central Michigan who went first to Kansas City. The tackle from Texas A&M looked good...very polished, but I liked Johnson better. When we traded up I assumed it was for Johnson, not for Dion Jordan who had flunked the SACKSeer and other metric models. If I had those SPARQ numbers handy at the time it would have been outrageous to consider Jordan above Johnson. But since we had only subjectivity at our disposal, we found a way, and we blew it.

The 3 Sigma designation means that Lane Johnson, if healthy and with his head on straight, will likely continue to bloom toward stardom. I already saw one source that listed him as second best right tackle in the league.

How did Dion Jordan's SPARQ numbers compare since we passed over Johnson in favor of Jordan?

Some sad signings to other cities:

RB- Zach Zenner from San Diego State: Detroit Lions
RB- Tyler Varga of Yale: Indianapolis Colts

WR- Austin Hill of Arizona: Seattle Seahawks
WR- Titus Davis of Central Michigan: San Diego Chargers
WR- DeVante Davis of UNLV: Philadelphia Eagles
WR- Chris Harper of California: New England Patriots (watch this little quick as hell demon run, mad small, mad quick and smooth)

OL- Sean Hickey of Syracuse: New Orleans Saints
OL- Josue Matias of Florida State: Tennessee Titans

DL- Joey Mbu of Houston: Atlanta Falcons
DL- Derrick Lott of Tenn-Chat: Tennessee Titans
DL- Lynden Trail of Norfolk State: Houston Texans

LB- Taiwan Jones of Michigan State: New York Jets
LB- Darius Allen of Col State-Pueblo: Baltimore Ravens
LB- Terrance Plummer of UCF: Washington Redskins
LB- Alani Fua of BYU: Arizona Cardinals (it seemed Miami was big on him... not sure)
LB- Junior Sylvestre of Toledo: Indianapolis Colts

CB- Jacoby Glenn of UCF: Chicago Bears
CB- Imoan Claiborne of Notherwestern State: St. Louis Rams (great kid, hard worker, learner!!!)
CB- Kevin White of TCU: Atlanta Falcons
CB- Nick Marshall of Auburn: Jacksonville Jaguars

Seattle probably wouldn't have taken Jordan Phillips. Just because some of us are excited/relieved that we finally are reaching higher, let's not pretend we have fully joined the SPARQ community. The team that seemed to transfer along those lines this year was Atlanta. Slimm should be happy about that, even though I doubt he's a metrics type. The Falcons were going nowhere with their recent approach. Now there are legit athletes and legit hope.

Pittsburgh also took some freaky athletes, starting at the top. They were rumored to be transferring along those lines after being burned with SPARQ flops like Jarvis Jones.

The Seahawks prefer self motivated players, guys who play angry. That's what they look for during the visit. I've read articles with Pete Carroll describing it. They loved Sokoli of Buffalo after he demonstrated that type of thing. They may not always draft strictly from the top of the SPARQ lists if the player doesn't strike them as dedicated. In the early rounds they look for productivity, even if that productivity wasn't always obvious, and then they snap up the freakish athletes in the later rounds, often grabbing them seemingly a bit early. Seattle more than anybody isn't beholden to the conventional wisdom slotting.

Jordan Phillips not only wasn't a SPARQ gem but obviously the motivation is in question. We seem to be picking and feeling our way. But at least it's exponentially preferable to trading up for a low-producing, lazy, part-time playing, metrics flop at third in the draft.

Mike Kaye ‎@mike_e_kaye

Akpejiori is a towering 6'9" and 241 pounds. Has the frame to block and has good hands. Been told he's been training like nonstop.

Mike Kaye ‎@mike_e_kaye

The Dolphins invited former #Hurricanes basketball player and aspiring TE Raphael Akpejiori to minicamps for a tryout, according to source

Mike Kaye ‎@mike_e_kaye

The Dolphins invited former #Hurricanes basketball player and aspiring TE Raphael Akpejiori to minicamps for a tryout, according to source

Can you say "MIAMI FRONT OFFICE finally concerned about red zone talent?" lol

Parker, Lippett, and now Akpejiori.

Sounds like someone actually bought a clue and is trying to fix a problem that has been here for years, in the form of the Hartlines and Besses and Clays (small, non-redzone impact TE) such -- terrible redzone talent. Looks like that is being addressed.

LD

Tim Semisch , TE , Northern Illinois (tryout) 6'7", 267

Raphael Akpejiori TE , Miami (tryout) 6'9", 241

May be, we don't have red zone problem?

Mike Kaye ‎@mike_e_kaye

Akpejiori is a towering 6'9" and 241 pounds. Has the frame to block and has good hands. Been told he's been training like nonstop.

Good god 6'9"? That's a damn tree. Hope he sticks Tannehill could just throw it up to him for grabs.

Back
Top Bottom