UDFA ??? | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UDFA ???

Anyone know how to post articles from publications like SI.com? I'm unable to copy and paste an article about Miami's UDFA's. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to post it in this thread or teach me how to do it, from my phone? Thanks
Screen shots?

I believe so. They paid a huge bonus to an UDFA DB, who returns kicks and punts. So Iggy has to be looking over his shoulder now.
He should have been looking over his shoulder since he was drafted. Because his problem all along has been his inability to locate the ball in coverage that is the reason he has been a bust so far.

J-Off, who of all the drafted and UDFA do you think make the team?

Blaise Andries
Kellen Diesch
Verone McKinley III
Braylon Sanders

I can see a role for all of these players. After Hill and Waddle, Sanders has the most deep juice on the roster - edging out Erik Ezukanma. His long speed is just good, but his acceleration allows him to consistently stack DB's. Both Sanders and Ezukanma run their routes full speed, too. They don't drift and waste time. They could both add some nuance, but it's not hard to see how Both would be useful for Miami in 2022 in spot-duty. Nice role players who have the tools to actually make big plays with their limited opportunities.

But, as you know, I had Diesch rated as a solid target at 102 - more of a 76-99 kind of value to me. He has plus-starter upside in Shanahan/McDaniels offense and a reasonable chance of getting there. He was very good at Arizona State - both in pass pro and zone-blocking. He's kind of like the OT version of Hutchinson with his height and small arms, but because he's such a quality athlete, I think he'll be alright. Just needs to continue to add mass and strength for pass pro, but he should be good out of the gate as a rub blocker. He can catch some silly angles.

Blaise Andries
Kellen Diesch
Verone McKinley III
Braylon Sanders

I can see a role for all of these players. After Hill and Waddle, Sanders has the most deep juice on the roster - edging out Erik Ezukanma. His long speed is just good, but his acceleration allows him to consistently stack DB's. Both Sanders and Ezukanma run their routes full speed, too. They don't drift and waste time. They could both add some nuance, but it's not hard to see how Both would be useful for Miami in 2022 in spot-duty. Nice role players who have the tools to actually make big plays with their limited opportunities.

But, as you know, I had Diesch rated as a solid target at 102 - more of a 76-99 kind of value to me. He has plus-starter upside in Shanahan/McDaniels offense and a reasonable chance of getting there. He was very good at Arizona State - both in pass pro and zone-blocking. He's kind of like the OT version of Hutchinson with his height and small arms, but because he's such a quality athlete, I think he'll be alright. Just needs to continue to add mass and strength for pass pro, but he should be good out of the gate as a rub blocker. He can catch some silly angles.
What do you think about Kohou the UDFA DB? Miami paid him a nice sum of money. Apparently he's a top notch returner.

He should have been looking over his shoulder since he was drafted. Because his problem all along has been his inability to locate the ball in coverage that is the reason he has been a bust so far.
Yup, agree. No ball awareness.

How? I can take a screen shots save it to my photos and then download it to finheaven? But the article is so huge it'll take a lot of space on here.
Open in Paint cut clean polish up (if needed) and save as JPEG. If multiple steps / pages repeat and then combine multiple JPEGs as one. Click inset and drag... it's fun with a cold glass of beer 🍺

Just Andries play RT vs Michigan in 2020, and he played a great game - outside of Hutchinson walking him back on one play and one drive in the 4th (game was over) where the wheels fell off and Paye whooped him a couple times. He showed his burst on a few plays where he had to cut off the backside while pulling. He can get to his spot in a hurry. Anchor looked decent. Not great changing direction, doesn't have great reactive athleticism, but if he's on the attack, and his burst lets him play that way, he looks good.

I'd think practice squad at worst, but I think he can play OG or RT, and if he can get up to speed soon enough, they could like that versatility enough to put him on the active roster. He's obv not perfect, or he wouldn't be available where he was, but he's kind of an oddball like Diesch. Andries looks like he'd be a gap-scheme OG. He's plump looking, but he plays and moves like someone you want for a zone-heavy team.

The common theme is guys who have particular value (or potential value) for Miami. You can't count on being the smartest in the room, but you can find players who hold more value for the particular role you want/need than they do for other teams.

C'mon... Mostert has only carried the ball 284 times in 6 years in the NFL. At best, he is an injury prone change of pace back.
Mostert is injury prone, that's what limits his totals. Most people recognize that total stats are generally misleading. But he has shown that when healthy he can play the lead back role, at least in a zone run system. In his two seasons where he was healthy for +100 carries, he averaged 5.0 and 5.6 YPA in the primary back role. (You'll often see higher YPA in backs being used in change of pace role). And in the playoffs in 2019, Mostert basically carried that SF team to the SB. He was dominant. He played the lead back role in that conference championship game where he had 29 carries for 220 yards and 4 TDs.

So it's not really a question of whether he can be more than a change of pace back. He's shown he can do that. What he hasn't shown is that he can stay healthy playing that role. So it's obviously a big risk to rely on Mostert being healthy all year in that role. It's something he's never done.

But it's also a big risk putting so many of eggs into the 'Edmonds as a lead back' basket. He's never had that role. He only had over a 100 carries in one season, 2021, and he was clearly the change of pace back to James Conner that year. So while I would love to see Edmonds show that he can be the lead back, the fact of the matter is that he's yet to show that ability in the NFL.

That's why so many saw RB as a big need and probably why the team was trying to get a RB with one of their top two picks. Reality is that we're banking on our top two backs doing something they've never shown they can do before.

As a former WR and working with X. Howard, you'd think Iggy would have figured that out.

Maybe he will in year three?

Blaise Andries
Kellen Diesch
Verone McKinley III
Braylon Sanders

I’m surprised you didn’t have ZaQuandre White on that list. I think he makes the team.

I think its very likely. According to McKinley, Miami has met with him several times. So this feels like something more than a tryout or wishful thinking on him making the team. Iggy was a Flores special. I think McDaniel and Boyer are already thinking beyond Iggy.
All good points.
I gave up on Iggy in 2021. Maybe a nice guy, don’t know. But sure seems unlikely to help us.
Love to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom