Undervalued Players | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Undervalued Players

31. Chris Prosinski FS Wyoming 6'1" 209lbs.
Prosinski ended his career with the Cowboys #4 leader in tackles(343) and was elected to the All-MWC 2nd team. This season he ranked #3 in the MWC and #42 in the nation with 9 tkls/game. His 108 total tackles led the Cowboys this season. He has a combined total of 248 tkls. the last two seasons.
[video=youtube;Fa3Sk2JyETc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3Sk2JyETc[/video]

Casey Matthews (Clay's Brother)...i would love to see him in Dolphins colors next year, what would we need to pick him up use a 3rd or 4th rounder? We know he will never stop going and has a crazy work ethic

32. Casey Matthews LB Oregon 6'2" 237lbs.
91027201_crop_340x234-1.jpg
Steve Dykes/Getty Images
If уου haven’t heard οf thе Matthews family bу now, уου mοѕt lіkеlу live under a rock. It’s nο secret thаt thеу аrе one οf thе mοѕt dominant football families tο еνеr play іn thе NFL. Clay Matthews Sr. аnd Clay Matthews Jr. аrе thе mοѕt well known, аѕ well аѕ Bruce Matthews, Clay’s Jr.’s uncle аnd one οf thе best offensive tackles tο еνеr play thе game. Family patriarch Clay Matthews I wаѕ a standout іn thе 1950’s, аѕ well.
Whіlе hіѕ brother walked οn аnd under-achieved аt USC, Casey wasn’t аѕ fortunate. Hе wаѕ аn undersized 3-star recruit coming out οf Oaks Christian High School, receiving scholarship offers frοm numerous Pac-10 schools аѕ well аѕ a few medium-range ACC schools. Hе сhοѕе Oregon іn thе еnd, аnd played іn аll 11 games іn hіѕ freshman year.
Casey mау nοt bе аѕ physically gifted аѕ hіѕ brother Clay, bυt thеrе’s nο doubt thаt hе’s јυѕt аѕ intelligent аnd hаѕ a fаntаѕtіс work ethic.
Strengths

Matthews’ lаrgеѕt strength іѕ hіѕ athleticism. Hе’s аlѕο аn extremely intelligent player whο dοеѕ well reading аnd reacting tο thе offensive play οn еνеrу down. Hе hаѕ a non-ѕtοр motor, playing well sideline tο sideline. Hе’s a very ехсеllеnt tackler whο’s very fundamentally sound. Hе doesn’t οftеn gеt caught out οf position, аnd hе uses hіѕ athleticism tο mаkе up fοr hіѕ lack οf overall bulk.
Matthews іѕ аlѕο brilliant іn mаkіng plays іn coverage. Hе covers hіѕ zone nearly effortlessly, аnd hаѕ a knack fοr finding thе ball. Hе’s аn underrated pass rusher οn thе inside, аnd hаѕ thе speed tο maybe mаkе thе transition tο thе OLB position іn a 3-4, although thаt mау nοt utilize hіѕ skill set tο thе maximum. Bυt, hіѕ versatility іѕ fаntаѕtіс аnd wіll bе coveted аmοng teams іn thе 2011 NFL Draft.
Weaknesses
Thе lаrgеѕt knock οn Matthews іѕ hіѕ size. Hе’s nοt thе lаrgеѕt οr strongest player οn thе football field. Hе plays іn a very loosely-based zone defense іn Oregon, whісh helps hіѕ athleticism shine. Hе mау nοt bе аblе tο transition tο a 3-4 defense bесаυѕе οf hіѕ inability tο frequently gеt οff οf blockers. Hе’s mοѕt lіkеlу restricted tο a 4-3 role, bυt hе’s versatile enough tο play аll three linebacker positions іn a 4-3 scheme.
Whіlе hе’s nοt weak bу аnу means, hе still needs tο improve οn hіѕ strength аnd υѕе hіѕ arms tο gеt οff blocks, rаthеr thаn getting fully engaged wіth blockers.
Draft Range
Rіght now, іt’s completely open аѕ tο whеrе Matthews goes. Hіѕ brother, Clay, hаd ѕοmе οf thе same size weaknesses coming out. Bυt hard work propelled Clay іntο thе first, аnd Casey сουld dο thе same іf hе works out well enough аt thе combine. Rіght now, hіѕ ceiling іѕ аѕ high аѕ a late first round pick, bυt hе’ll mοѕt lіkеlу bе selected between thе middle οf thе second round аnd thе middle οf thе third round.
Look fοr teams lіkе Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Nеw Orleans аnd Detroit tο target Matthews. If teams feel hе саn mаkе thе transition tο 3-4, іt сουld improve hіѕ stock heavily аѕ teams lіkе Cleveland, Buffalo, Arizona аnd Green Bay сουld look аt grabbing hіm іn thе 2011 NFL Draft.
http://altitudefilms.com/2011/01/11...ng-report-and-player-profile-bleacher-report/

33. Mike Person OT Montana St. 6'5" 295lbs.
Person was named to the FCS Walter Camp and AFCA Coaches 2010 All-American teams. He helped MSU lead the Big Sky conference in tot. offense, passing yards, and scoring offense. A two-time All-Big Sky choice he graded out at 90% on the year and did not allow a sack in 2010.
A rock at left tackle, Person will make his 34th consecutive start on Saturday, a streak that began in the 2008 season opener.
He probably would have started every game of his career, but Person missed the final three contests of his freshman campaign due to a knee injury.
And don’t think for a minute that he is simply on the field taking up space.
Person is a technician. Rarely does he lose one-on-one battles: Person has not given up a sack in 18 games. It’s played a big role this season in the emergence of quarterback Denarius McGhee.
“Mike protects my backside,” McGhee said. “I’ve never really gotten hit in the back this whole year, and that’s tremendous.
“He gives us great motivation on the sideline. He keeps everyone in a state of mind that says we’re going to win this ballgame no matter what. He’s a great leader.”
Person’s performance this year is a testament to his skill, mainly because of the fact that he played his first three years at right tackle before moving to the left side of the line this season.
“I do everything I can to make sure nobody lays a finger on our quarterback,” Person said. “If someone does, it comes down on me.”
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/c...cle_e1a9e0fc-f21d-11df-8c93-001cc4c002e0.html

34. Lee Smith TE Marshall 6'6" 267lbs.
While Smith is not a top pass catching TE or a top blocking TE, he might be one of the best all-around TE in the draft. He was a transfer from UT to Marshall. While Smith was not the focal point of the offense, he did finish the season with 38rec. for 358yds. He was voted to the All-Conference USA second team. His father was an OL who played in the NFL for six years with the Cowboys, Browns and Eagles.
[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eaf15c/2011-combine-workout-Lee-Smith?r_src=ramp[/video]

35. William Falakiseni C/G Norfolk St. 6'1" 300lbs.
Falakiseni was a 2009 1st team All-MEAC and SBN Black College All-American. In 2010 he was elected to the 2nd team All-MEAC and invited to the Russell Athletic HBCU All-Star Bowl. Powerful with a nasty streak, he is able to provide a powerful punch and anchor in pass coverage. He uses his high football IQ to diagnose the defensive techniques along the defensive front. While he uses proper technique and intelligence, he is not a natural athlete and his lack of agility leaves him susceptible to counter moves. He is best suited to a power run offense.

36. Chase Reynolds RB Montana 5'11" 195lbs.
Could he be the next Danny Woodhead? IDK, he is a little taller. His career stats at UM are 4067yds. rushing, 5.1ypc., 52TDs, 95recs., 864yds., 9.1ypc., and 7TDs. Reynolds is blessed with great vision which allows him to improvise in the hole. His RS year he was a WR and the reason for his excellent hands. The kid has heart and he will take on anyone. You don't see him running sideways or backwards often. His shoulders are almost always square to the LOS. While he is not extremely fast(4.54/40), he has the one trait that separates RBs: instant acceleration.
[video=youtube;AcF95LvdzfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcF95LvdzfE[/video]

Don't know why I've seen so many posters here talk about Casey Matthews. He is not a 3-4 linebacker at all.

Don't know why I've seen so many posters here talk about Casey Matthews. He is not a 3-4 linebacker at all.

You can't teach instincts. Why is he not a 3-4 linebacker? Is he too small? Does he not have the strength? Remember when people doubted a small linebacker from Texas Tech? That linebacker only stood at 5'11, and less than 230 pounds. Not only was he doubted, he was a fifth round pick, and he was overlooked by many teams. You should already know who the linebacker I'm talking about is, but if you don't know, his name is Zach Thomas.

I get tired of hearing the argument that a player isn't a "Parcells type" or isn't a 3-4 player. If you can play, you can play. I can tell you one thing, I would be stoked to have Casey Matthews on my team. He has a high motor, he never takes plays off, and he leads by example. You want players on your team with those qualities. If he is there in the fourth or fifth round, we better seriously consider selecting him, because I guarantee he will make an impact wherever he goes.

37. Joe Morgan WR Walsh 6'0" 184lbs.
Morgan had off-field problems that caused him to transfer from Illinois because he fell in with the wrong crowd. The thing that will probably get him looked at by NFL teams is the speed he possess. He has been clocked as low as 4.28/40, but he averages in the mid 4.3s. He is physical, very athletic and good after the catch. He won the NAIA Indoor Long Jump Championship when he shattered his existing school record by more than a 1ft(25'6.075"). He played alot of special teams which is where he will have to earn his bones in the NFL, but can definitely work his way into a receiving role.. He has that trait our team is looking for - big play capability.
[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eaa592/2011-combine-workout-Joe-Morgan[/video]

38. Will Rackley OG Lehigh 6'4 307lbs.
2009 AP All-American, 1st team All-Patriot League, and member of the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll. He was part of an OL that paved the way for an offense that averaged 320yds/gm and allowed the fewest sacks in the league. He was the first freshman OL to ever start in coach Andy Coen's 20yr career. He is tough, strong, instinctive and willing to be the OL mauler.
[video]http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/FOX-Sports-NFL/141413/1843385807/Draft-Preview:-William-Rackley/videos[/video]

Markeith Summers WR, Ole Miss

Projected undrafted. The best WR no one knows anything about. Played with Snead and Masoli, and was NCAA leader in YPC at 20+, two years in a row. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/yardsPerReception He looks like a #1 or #2 WR, he goes after the ball, he is big, he is smooth in space, he can get downfield, he fights for the ball. Hands are an issue since he he had limited opportunities. I am looking forward to Combine to see this guy.

Back
Top Bottom