Unraveling the Mystery of Ryan Tannehill | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unraveling the Mystery of Ryan Tannehill

I just think Tannehill needs good protection, a balanced offense and his WR's to get good separation and catch virtually everything. If he's asked to make plays under non perfect circumstances he pretty much fails almost every time. Yes, there are flash plays but there is no consistency. As someone else said he's not Rodgers, a younger Manning or Brady but he's the best we have. He needs a great team around him to be consistently good. I hate to say it but it may be easier to find a true elite QB than building a great team. FA pickups and the draft are such crapshoots you end up missing on guys just as often as you hit. I really feel like we're going to be stuck in this cycle of mediocrity for a long time.

Most NFL QBs can be good under perfect circumstances. I agree that building a great overall team is hard/harder than finding a great QB. You have to hit on multiple draft choices and make great FA pickups. Get lucky with a QB 1x or get lucky with the roster 10x.

There are only 5 elite QBs in a league with 32 teams and it's been that way for years. It CANNOT be easier to land an elite QB than build a good team around a good QB given those numbers.

Landing an elite QB essentially boils down to dumb luck... You either suck really bad in the right year to get the elite QB, or you kind of just fall into one like the Patriots and Packers did...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many elite rosters are there every year? Far less than elite QBs.

You don't need an elite roster, you just need a good one, and actually it's not the overall roster, it's really just the OL. We need a good/great OL to pair with a good, but not elite QB. It's the Dallas/Cincy strategy and most playoff teams (if they don't have an elite QB) have some semblance of a balanced offense with good pass protection.

you don't need elite rosters...you need 4 of 5 on the oline quality starters...Miami almost had that heck maybe they did for a tick there til james went out...multiples up front problems with a qb that isn't gods gift to muddy pocket handling you damn well better be able to run the ball...we can handle one oline deficiency (left guard) we can't handle multiples...

can we for once not have guys that grade out worst at their position before we label tannehill "not good enough"...how bout those guys "aren't good enough"

can we for once not have guys that grade out worst at their position before we label tannehill "not good enough"...how bout those guys "aren't good enough"

Unfortuntely that is seen as 'excuse making' for the QB instead of the reality of the situation. I mean even if your not a fan of the QB that should be even more of a reason you would like to see at least 'average Oline play' in front of him and a running game.

Our YPC from Miller right now are a lie .

His long run has those stats looking differently than they should .

If you have 10 carries for one yard which kills drives but then one carry for 90 yards , it's makes it look like he's running for 10 yards a carry but people actually beleive every time he carries the ball he's taking it for 10 yards . Which would be far more effective than 9 for 1 and one for 90 .

Reminds me of Reggie Bush , who would put us in 2nd and 11 and kill multiple drives yet have one long run and make his YPC lie to people .

It's more important to not kill drives by letting people T off on our oline in obvious passing situations .....

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

This is where Omar's stats mean nothing . Unfortunately ... Omar is a moron

This still all points to the O-line. It is easy to say we abandon the run too early and Miller has all of these stats, so we should run him more. That is a very qualitative assessment. However the quantitative answer that digs much deeper than the numbers is that we abandon the run because we have to. When the run is working we are sticking with it and Miller has good numbers. When the run isn't working, we don't. You can't just say if we run Miller more, we will have more success because if the run isn't working a 3 and out is the same running or passing. In our 4 losses, Miller has had and average of 3.05 yards rushing per attempt with 2 of those games well under 2 yards per carry. His stats are a bit misleading because of the 1 Houston game where he had a 12.5 yard average. He is not a bad back at all, but he is not a back we can run down peoples throat, especially with this O-Line and our defenses inability in most of the games to stop the opponent from scoring.

I see what you are saying, but the fact is we abandon the run because we have to. We fall behind and in most of the games, the run isn't working effectively. Run or pass, a 3 and out is 3 and out. I have watched every game and in no way would the outcomes have been changed by running the football more! We need O-Line help desperately and have for years!

skewing these stats, he throws more when we're already behind on the scoreboard, so in games we're likely to lose because of being outscored, he's more likely to try throws he normally wouldn't and in taking more risks, performs poorly. Of course in these games, the opposing defense is likely to send in the dogs of war and our piss poor decade long problem of ****ty pass protection comes into play.
We get so many post in this forum about how Tannehill is bad or good or inconsistent. It bothers me because when I watch Tannehill play I generally see the same guy every game, a very good but not elite QB. So I've been looking at his stats to try and figure out if there is some kind of leading indicator to tell us when he is going to play poorly. I looked at all kinds of things but it turns out the answer was very simple. With a non elite QB like Tannehill you really want to manage the number of times he's putting the ball in the air. A perfect example of this is Russell Wilson, super bowl winning QB. The league average number of attempts per game has since 2012 (Wilson and Tannehill's rookie seasons) has been right around 35 attempts per game. Wilson averages 26.53 ATT per game and has a career passer rating of 98. Tannehill is right at the league average of 35 with a career passer rating of 84.4. So is Wilson really that much better? Can Tannehill ever lead a team to the super bowl? Well look what happens when you split Tannehill's stats by attempts.

When Tannehill throws the ball 35 time or more; 40 TD 40 INT 265 Yards per Game and a passer rating of 77.08. Not very good.

However, when Tannehill throws the ball 34 times or less (but at least 10 times to ensure that he played the majority of the game); 36 TD 11 INT 217 Yards per Game and a passer rating of 95.66.

That's not quite as good as Wilson but still excellent and good enough for a 75% win percentage. When he throws the ball 35 times or more our win percentage plummets to 23.3%.

So to me there are no more mysteries, if the Dolphins want to win throw the ball less!

jnrCLpQ-1.png

It really is head scratching how 2 HCs with OL specialty on their resume have been incapable of building a decent pass pro line, even with high draft picks and expensive FA, but the Patriots can have undrafted FAs on their line and not skip a beat

When Tannehill throws the ball 35 time or more; 40 TD 40 INT 265 Yards per Game and a passer rating of 77.08. Not very good.

However, when Tannehill throws the ball 34 times or less (but at least 10 times to ensure that he played the majority of the game); 36 TD 11 INT 217 Yards per Game and a passer rating of 95.66.

That's not quite as good as Wilson but still excellent and good enough for a 75% win percentage. When he throws the ball 35 times or more our win percentage plummets to 23.3%.

So to me there are no more mysteries, if the Dolphins want to win throw the ball less!

jnrCLpQ-1.png

I am not buying the less attempts would lead to success argument. Most QB's get lots of attempts and throw for 400+'yards due to the fact that they are trailing a great part of the game and trying to catch up. The Phins usually get off to bad starts. Like Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics," and i think Tanny's stats showing he would win more by throwing less is just not accurate.

It really is head scratching how 2 HCs with OL specialty on their resume have been incapable of building a decent pass pro line, even with high draft picks and expensive FA, but the Patriots can have undrafted FAs on their line and not skip a beat

It's gotta be the coaching. We already know Sparano and Philbin aren;t great NFL HC's. Wouldn;t surprise me if they never got the right people for the job to train the OL.
I think losing John Jerry, Incognito, and Martin had a bit to do with it too. Not even saying Martin is better than Fox or Dallas Thomas 100%, but it wouldnt hurt to have that competition.

We certainly ran the ball well against the Titans and Texans. Was it because those teams suck worse than Miami or because we got ahead early and stuck to the running game? Perhaps both but when we played a very good team in NE they stacked the box to force Miami out of their running game. It also was no match in the coaching department. Bellicheat verses Campbell. This isn't a knock on our coach he just is young and inexperienced. NE presented matchup problems all over the place. Most games we won't face that kind of mismatch so we should be fairly decent in most games the remainder of the year.

We better beat the Bills this week . That is all .

I'm still pissed off about sitting down in our season opener at the stadium and having paid to watch our team be dismantled .

It is a lot of things, coaching is one. It also might help a little when you have a HOF QB in the same system for 15 years who can audible in to the right play that will help the O-line, the run, or the pass.

Greg Likens ‏@GregLikens 10m10 minutes ago
Tannehill says the team is aware of the struggles on 3rd down & they're working hard to fix them #Dolphins

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 9m9 minutes ago
Ryan Tannehill said if Dolphins run the football and control the line of scrimmage vs Buffalo the passing game will open up for him.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 8m8 minutes ago
"Going out and playing the game, taking what's there," Ryan Tannehill said when asked how he addresses his consistency issues.

Greg Likens ‏@GregLikens 7m7 minutes ago
Tannehill admits that Buffalo is a tough environment to play in. Says fans always have "choice words" for him when he exits the tunnel

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 6m6 minutes ago
Ryan Tannehill on last game 41-14 loss versus the Bills: "We're better than that."

Greg Likens ‏@GregLikens 6m6 minutes ago
Tannehill on BUF game: It's big. Looking to bounce back from our last game vs BUF. It was 1 of our worst & we're better than what we showed

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 3m3 minutes ago
Dolphins players still expecting Jason Fox at RT even with Campbell bringing up idea of Dallas Thomas there. Nothing decided yet

ndrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 5m5 minutes ago
Seen Dan Marino twice today in Dolphins locker room. He's at practice a good amount but I haven't noticed him often in locker room

Back
Top Bottom