USC Mike Williams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

USC Mike Williams

AtlantaPhin said:
The thing that kills me about the Bloom case is he can't accept ski endorsement money and play football but other players can play college football in the fall and then play minor league baseball in the spring. This makes no sense at all. As for Williams, I believe he should have been allowed to come back.
Its about endorsement money. The NCAA is all about them getting free labor while making a boat load of cash.

if court says okay then its not a ify situation so wouldnt you start getting those advancements for your family as soon as you could get them....this sucks for this kid ..he still will be a first rounder but it hampers his development a lil bit.....NCAA major money making corporation

Either way i dont feel sorry for him... when he gets into the nfl hes gonna get what he deserves $$$ just he had too do it the hard way...

I really think the NCAA dropped the ball here, this guy wasnt Clarett. He didnt challenge the rule, he just used a rule that was "LEGAL" at the time. Once the rule was overturned he returned the money given to him and asked for re-instatement. What did he do wrong?? Sure there are those that say he knew it was going to be challenged, but being challenged means nothing unless its overturned which no one knew was a sure thing. So as far as he knew it was going to be challenged but Clarett might win, thus giving him a BIG payday. There arent many people that could turn down a payday like he was looking at as he would have been a top 5 pick.

john00agent said:
i wouldn't! but thats just me

Um... didn't he NOT want to go to class. I think he insisted on playing college ball and not going to school. I heard something like that. If that's the case, then the NCAA did the right thing.

bakedmatt said:
Um... didn't he NOT want to go to class. I think he insisted on playing college ball and not going to school. I heard something like that. If that's the case, then the NCAA did the right thing.
I beleive he made up the credit in the summer to obtain reinstatement if the case was succesful.

Shame on the NCAA.

The y have shown themselves to be a petty and vindictive organisaiton that takes pleasure if saying "i told you so".

Hell be a no 1 next year, athough lack of games will bring him out of the top 15.

The NCAA is right up there with the International Olympic Committee and the mob when it comes to the most corrupt, hypocritical organizations on the planet. It's a crime what they're doing to Williams. I guess he's gonna have to go play in Canada or something. What a shame.

I agree, they did drop the ball on this. With Jeremy Bloom as well as with Williams. It has gotten a lot more press and air time here in CO. Bloom has grown up wanting to play for CU, and he was willing to forgo any new endorsements until after the season.

canesfins13 said:
I have to agree, he knoew the risks when he signed with an agent. He knew the case would likely be appealed. If he didn't know, boy did he get very bad legal advice. They could not let him in and deny Bloom's case. This is the right decision.
I live in Colo and been following Bloom's case. I think the NCAA made the right choice. Bloom needed to make a choice--ski for money or play college football. Bloom made his choice to ski. Mike Williams made a choice to hire an agent. The NCAA has rules and I think they (NCAA) made the right decision.

massi20 said:
In my opinion, the NCAA rapes it's athletes.
All they care about is making money.
They suck.

I agree, but both players knew the rules. Mike didn't have to hire an agent.

bakedmatt said:
Who does want to go to class?? You act like it's a big deal he only wanted to play ball, there's hundreds of people out there that just want to play ball. When you're that good, the last thing you think about is your academics.

The NCAA and the NFL both gave Mike Williams the shaft. He only entered the draft because it looked like Clarett was going to win his case and I believe the NFL told him he could. Once Clarett got beat by the NFL they denied Williams as well. Now the NCAA put the screws to him even though he would have made them even more money. I feel bad for Mike Williams and hope he files a fat lawsuit against the NFL and NCAA.

What right does a college have to deny the player the right to play and learn? What right does the NFL have to deny a willing and able person from joining their league?

Mike Williams deserves to play football. He did nothing wrong. He didn't challenge the NFL's ruling, but when he got the opportunity to go to the NFL, he took it. He did this because the rule was changed. He would have been a first round pick so I don't blame him from entering the draft. When they changed the rule again, he fired his agent and went back to school. There is no reason why he shouldn't play for USC. Mike Williams is getting screwed and he doesn't deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom