USC Mike Williams | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

USC Mike Williams

The NFL made it VERY clear to Mike Williams. He knew the risks involved and signed with the agent anyway, how is it anybody's fault but HIS OWN?

They told him the ruling was likely to be overturned, but he went ahead blindly anyway. He has nobody to blame but himself. There was ZERO need to hire an agent before the appeal had been settled, anybody who doesn't see it this way is just bashing the NCAA for the sake of it this time.

Sure the NCAA has many glaring problems, but this is not one of them. Mike Williams played the risk game and failed. His own fault. bad decision and one he has to live with.

NOw the question is whether or not his agent will give HIM back some cash! hahaha

massi20 said:
In my opinion, the NCAA rapes it's athletes.
All they care about is making money.
They suck.

YES! I was going write a lengthy post "admonishing" the NCAA for its blatant PIMPing, but you summed it up perfect.

Fins2theend said:
I really think the NCAA dropped the ball here, this guy wasnt Clarett. He didnt challenge the rule, he just used a rule that was "LEGAL" at the time. Once the rule was overturned he returned the money given to him and asked for re-instatement. What did he do wrong?? Sure there are those that say he knew it was going to be challenged, but being challenged means nothing unless its overturned which no one knew was a sure thing. So as far as he knew it was going to be challenged but Clarett might win, thus giving him a BIG payday. There arent many people that could turn down a payday like he was looking at as he would have been a top 5 pick.
Couldn't agree more. Well said!!

steveincolorado said:
I live in Colo and been following Bloom's case. I think the NCAA made the right choice. Bloom needed to make a choice--ski for money or play college football. Bloom made his choice to ski. Mike Williams made a choice to hire an agent. The NCAA has rules and I think they (NCAA) made the right decision.
Why did Bloom need to make a choice when it's legal for players to play college football in the fall then leave and play minor league baseball in the spring and get paid and then come back in the fall again and play college football? Where's the difference?

AtlantaPhin said:
Why did Bloom need to make a choice when it's legal for players to play college football in the fall then leave and play minor league baseball in the spring and get paid and then come back in the fall again and play college football? Where's the difference?
It doesn't make sense that it's okay for baseball players, but not other athletes. I think the difference here is Williams was warned the ruling would likely be over turned, and he knew the consequences of hiring an agent. Under the circumstances I still think it would be the right thing to do if the NCAA let him back in. He fored the agent right away and gave the money back.

ptmn said:
Yeah he was told he could play for the NFL by a COURT, I would believe them it they told me something.
That's great dude. Did you even read those articles that said instantly that the NFL was going to appeal the decision. Like originally said, he knew the risk. I knew more about his options just reading the paper and internet articles. It was a dumb decision and he's gonna pay for it. How many more rules do you want bended for athletes just because they're talented. Screw Mike Williams.

byroan said:
Who does want to go to class?? You act like it's a big deal he only wanted to play ball, there's hundreds of people out there that just want to play ball. When you're that good, the last thing you think about is your academics.
So true, i think its so hypocritical for people to critisize someone for using college as a minor league of the pros..If a doctor could be a doctor without the eight years of school they would be gone!!!

Bodzilla29 said:
The NFL made it VERY clear to Mike Williams. He knew the risks involved and signed with the agent anyway, how is it anybody's fault but HIS OWN?

They told him the ruling was likely to be overturned, but he went ahead blindly anyway. He has nobody to blame but himself. There was ZERO need to hire an agent before the appeal had been settled, anybody who doesn't see it this way is just bashing the NCAA for the sake of it this time.

Sure the NCAA has many glaring problems, but this is not one of them. Mike Williams played the risk game and failed. His own fault. bad decision and one he has to live with.

NOw the question is whether or not his agent will give HIM back some cash! hahaha

You just said what I wanted to say. Great post.

iceblizzard69 said:
Mike Williams deserves to play football. He did nothing wrong. He didn't challenge the NFL's ruling, but when he got the opportunity to go to the NFL, he took it. He did this because the rule was changed. He would have been a first round pick so I don't blame him from entering the draft. When they changed the rule again, he fired his agent and went back to school. There is no reason why he shouldn't play for USC. Mike Williams is getting screwed and he doesn't deserve it.

He absolutely deserves this, and I was preparing myself to blast the NCAA for a terrible decision if they went any other way. They're not nearly good enough about doing what is right for the ideal of the student athlete, and it may well be too late for college football and basketball to change. There was just no way to have any standard if they let Mike Williams leave school, hire an agent, and get advance money without him losing eligibility. It's a shame that Mike didn't consider things a bit more soberly, but he needs to look in the mirror if he feels he should blame somebody.

SuperFin34 said:
So true, i think its so hypocritical for people to critisize someone for using college as a minor league of the pros..If a doctor could be a doctor without the eight years of school they would be gone!!!

As a law student (granted, not exactly the same as a med student), I have to dispute your statement. I wouldn't think of attempting to practice law without the training I'm receiving even if it were not mandatory (in fact, it is not mandatory in Virginia).

iceblizzard69 said:
Mike Williams deserves to play football. He did nothing wrong. He didn't challenge the NFL's ruling, but when he got the opportunity to go to the NFL, he took it. He did this because the rule was changed. He would have been a first round pick so I don't blame him from entering the draft. When they changed the rule again, he fired his agent and went back to school. There is no reason why he shouldn't play for USC. Mike Williams is getting screwed and he doesn't deserve it.
Actually this is a great thing for Williams. If he plays this year and does not dominate then his draft stock will fall. By not playing his value will remain high.

However the NCAA is a total BS, and until people stand up and stop supporting their hypocrisy it will only get worse. They want to make all the money, but do not allow players any, even ones who have overcame cancer and wrote a book about it, to play baseball. Yea, they are for the kids. They are for themselves and how much money they can put in their pockets.

massi20 said:
In my opinion, the NCAA rapes it's athletes.
All they care about is making money.
They suck.
You go on believing that...clearly you were never a college athlete. The NCAA has rules. The rules are made by the member university's. The NCAA is exists to enforce the rules. Seems pretty easy to me. Mike Williams had options that did not include getting an agent and taking money from that agent. He could have retained a lawyer to advise him, and the lawyer would have told him to wait and see what happened. My opinion, bad choice and too bad he has to pay the price...but you can't set a precedent by letting him skate the rules...what's next, a kid gets an agent doesn't get drafted so you have to let him back in...then, a kid gets and agent, gets drafted by San Diego, so he wants to go back to school. Nope, the NCAA exists to enforce the rules, and that is what they did. Get over it. I think Mike will be ok...:cool:

AtlantaPhin said:
The difference is taking money for endorsements, some of which were not just for Ski equipment manufacturers.

Dphins4me said:
Actually this is a great thing for Williams. If he plays this year and does not dominate then his draft stock will fall. By not playing his value will remain high.

However the NCAA is a total BS, and until people stand up and stop supporting their hypocrisy it will only get worse. They want to make all the money, but do not allow players any, even ones who have overcame cancer and wrote a book about it, to play baseball. Yea, they are for the kids. They are for themselves and how much money they can put in their pockets.
:eek:
and who are these people making this money?? Ohhhh, yeah, you mean the universities that offer these kids a great opportunity to get an education, showcase their talents for the pro's, and give them a place to live and food on their table......those guys?

Geauxfins said:
and who are these people making this money??
You mean you do not know?

Geauxfins said:
Ohhhh, yeah, you mean the universities that offer these kids a great opportunity to get an education
Thanks for making millions off of me, while allowing me the chance to get a token education. Ask Dexter Manley how he got his 4 year degree. Might want to ask him to write it out and read it to you.

Geauxfins said:
showcase their talents for the pro's, and give them a place to live and food on their table......those guys?
Give you a place to live? You are working for it. Its not given. The NCAA believes they have the right to make money off you, but you are not allowed to make money off you. The NCAA is the closes form of slavery left in America. They have priced it so people are dependant and have no other viable option other than to let themselves be exploited.

Yea, the same ones that claim these are student-athletes. The same ones that will not allow a school to buy glasses for a player in order for him to be able to read, but will allow them to buy him contacts in order to play a game.
Yea, student-athletes.

The same ones that will not allow a school to pay for a trip for kids wanting to go visit a former teammate before he dies of cancer, because its entertainment.

The same ones that fire a coach who graduates all his players but does not win as often as a coach who graduates none of his players but wins more often. He will get a big fat contract extension.

Yea those guys.

Back
Top Bottom