Valentine's Day Thread: What made you fall in love with the Dolphins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Valentine's Day Thread: What made you fall in love with the Dolphins?

1975, I had just woken up from being in a coma for 2 months and family took me on a trip to see my Grandmother in Miami(a huge Dolphin and Shula fan). It was also a business trip for my mother. While at a conference she met a former Dolphin and she told him that before my accident I had been a fan of the team. I can not even remember the guys name, but he got me into the Dolphin Facilities and I met some players, coaches and staff. My memory was really cloudy after the accident. But I think the first impressions after a traumatic experience really made an impression and I have been a Dolphan ever since.

On a side note, we also went to St. Pete to see my Uncle. He and my father took myself and my sister to see Jaws that first weekend of its release. I have been an amateur shark freak my whole life.

I was 6 years old and got a 1989 Score Dan Marino card. Something with me and that card just clicked. 26 years later still loyal to my team and always will be. I get down on the team, but the Dolphins will always be my team. Sure hope to see a championship in my lifetime. Go Phins!

Easy....Dan the man Marino. One the best birthday gifts I ever got was a mint condition Dan Marino rookie card signed when I was a little kid. Still have it in a case.

The Dolphins mascot....I was five years old and it was 1971.....they won back to back in '72 and '73 so I was young bandwagon fan :up:....been with them ever since.

dolphin-1.jpg

Moved to Florida 66. Graduated 72. Best Christmas growing up was Dolphin Chiefs playoff win. Met my wife of 30 years as she was tending bar during Dans first game against the Bills. Part of marriage vows was she had to forsake all NFL teams for the Dolphins.

My mom and her family have always been rowdy, drunk, loud ass Bills fans. I hated it. Every Sunday they would come over, yell at the tv about "Jim Kelly" being the greatest and "Thurman Thomas" being the best in the league. It sickened me, but I wasn't really into football at that time, I just wanted them to shut up so I could play video games upstairs peacefully (I was 7 I think.)

Long story short, a Sunday came along where the Dolphins shut my family up. They left early too, I remember asking my mom about why they all left so early. She said it was because the "Dolphins QB" is getting lucky and the refs were horrible. I found out who the Dolphins QB was in 1994 and the rest is history.

Shut up mom.

The fins & chargers playoff game in Orange Bowl. Then when they drafted Marino.

1975, I had just woken up from being in a coma for 2 months and family took me on a trip to see my Grandmother in Miami(a huge Dolphin and Shula fan). It was also a business trip for my mother. While at a conference she met a former Dolphin and she told him that before my accident I had been a fan of the team. I can not even remember the guys name, but he got me into the Dolphin Facilities and I met some players, coaches and staff. My memory was really cloudy after the accident. But I think the first impressions after a traumatic experience really made an impression and I have been a Dolphan ever since.

On a side note, we also went to St. Pete to see my Uncle. He and my father took myself and my sister to see Jaws that first weekend of its release. I have been an amateur shark freak my whole life.

Thumbs up for your coma/Dolphin story and your Jaws story. I grew up on the NE beaches and that movie destroyed the entire beach community for the whole year. No one went in the water. Greatest movie of all time!

My father was a salesman, and Redskins fan, of instruments that tested the eye. He took me to a conference where he was selling his wares in Virginia Beach Va and Bob Griese was there pushing some sport glasses - I met him on the elevator and he shook my hand. Griese said maybe someday you'll play for the Dolphins and hooked ever since - that was in 76 or so. So I cannot say I was a fan when we won SuperBowls...

Super Bowl VI was the first that watched at age 9. I always like rooting for the under dog so the Dolphins over America's team was an easy choice. Things didn't work out that day but I followed them the following year and the perfect season hooked me.

birth-right
Born and raised in County of Dade

[video=youtube;LTBbAMGenn0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTBbAMGenn0[/video]

I was 6 and sadly it was SB VII against the Redskins. I was a 'skins fan and bet a 'phins fan that they'd win. The loser had to change teams and root for the winner. Been a 'phins phan ever since. Best damn loss I ever had :lol:

Dan The Man, since i was 6, my street friends used to call me "marino" and this was because i always was talking about dan, duper, clayton etc.

Back
Top Bottom