Volin: Source says 0 percent chance Sean Smith is brought back | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Volin: Source says 0 percent chance Sean Smith is brought back

Quite contrary to the masses here on FH, I have always been a fan of S.Smith. I think he brought a rare skill set that we never properly learned to scheme for correctly. Not sure why our D Coordinators insisted on having him cover the quicker skattier WR's when this is not his strength. When lined up versus the the bigger receivers is when his skill sets really shined.

Again, I know i am one of the few but I will miss him on this team.
Chubbs

I agree with you Chubbs.

I believe if this report is true, this team will regret this move. While he doenst turn out the interceptions like other corners, he covered the other teams number one receiver most o the time and with very good outcomes. Is he worth 8-10 million - I guess we will find out. I think this opened a gaping hole that will be hard to fill.

This is really one of the worst excuses for keeping crap players, but it sure gets a lot of play around here. "It will create a hole!!1!" Sean Smith was a hole.

The problem isn't that we have to get rid of a crap player. The real problem is that our so called GM missed in the first round both four and five years ago. You can't miss on first round draft picks and be a legitimate contending team. These picks MUST become at a minimum solid contributing players for your franchise, players you build the franchise around. Ireland has now missed badly on two of his first five first round draft picks, with another one looking to be a chronic underachiever (Odrick), and with judgement still in progress on Tannehill. How many more examples of bad drafting in the first and second rounds is it going to take before Ross gets a clue and rids us of this disaster?

This is really one of the worst excuses for keeping crap players, but it sure gets a lot of play around here. "It will create a hole!!1!" Sean Smith was a hole.
I'm sick to my stomach with that excuse, it is used so often on this site, at least 10 times a day.

What drive me nuts about Smith, is with all that length he still would drop out of press all the time. Against the big guys he would stay in but he was so scared getting burned deep when if he would press his man it would have changed everything. NOt sure if it was the coaches plan or just him scared. Annoying. I would have made him press like Cromartie every play

Quite contrary to the masses here on FH, I have always been a fan of S.Smith. I think he brought a rare skill set that we never properly learned to scheme for correctly. Not sure why our D Coordinators insisted on having him cover the quicker skattier WR's when this is not his strength. When lined up versus the the bigger receivers is when his skill sets really shined.

Again, I know i am one of the few but I will miss him on this team.
Chubbs
True Chubbs. Against bigger receivers he did well...but then who in our division has big receivers and not the quicker "skattier" (what does that mean lol) WRs? How many teams did we face last year with big physical receivers? 3 I think, Houston, Arizona and Cincinnati...so Smith is obsolete in the other 13 games. You really want to pay a guy upwards of $8 million a year just in case we need him against physical receivers?

I think the depth of this draft at CB allowed us to let Smith test the market. If we re-sign him at a more reasonable price we win, if he decides to move on then IMO we could be better for it in the long run. Smith doesn't really fit Coyle's scheme all that well. Even you said as much. I'd like to see us get some DBs that can break on a ball better, come up with some turnovers, bat a few balls down in crunch time...maybe even come on a blitz on occasion.

More churning of the d roster and no high draft picks to spend on impact offensive talent.

a prescription for 6-10.

Football is ALL about QB, WR, RB, TE. We might have ONE (QB) and we keep fussing over defense.

defense never wins ANY championships OFFENSE doesn't get the defense TO.

Until this franchise abandons the defense fetish it has had since Shula left, it isn't winning anything.

True Chubbs. Against bigger receivers he did well...but then who in our division has big receivers and not the quicker "skattier" (what does that mean lol) WRs? How many teams did we face last year with big physical receivers? 3 I think, Houston, Arizona and Cincinnati...so Smith is obsolete in the other 13 games. You really want to pay a guy upwards of $8 million a year just in case we need him against physical receivers?

I think the depth of this draft at CB allowed us to let Smith test the market. If we re-sign him at a more reasonable price we win, if he decides to move on then IMO we could be better for it in the long run. Smith doesn't really fit Coyle's scheme all that well. Even you said as much. I'd like to see us get some DBs that can break on a ball better, come up with some turnovers, bat a few balls down in crunch time...maybe even come on a blitz on occasion.

I should have prefaced my previous comment by saying I in no way thrink Smith is worth anymore then $5-6 Million a year. But at that or less I am game to resign.
Chubbs

Wonder if the Dolphins should just say "**** it" and go with Keenan Lewis. Go from one guy who doesn't intercept the ball enough to another guy who doesn't intercept it at all.

I wont know if I agree with letting Smith go until I know how much Smith signs for elsewhere.

More churning of the d roster and no high draft picks to spend on impact offensive talent.

a prescription for 6-10.

Football is ALL about QB, WR, RB, TE. We might have ONE (QB) and we keep fussing over defense.

defense never wins ANY championships OFFENSE doesn't get the defense TO.

Until this franchise abandons the defense fetish it has had since Shula left, it isn't winning anything.

Tell that to the Falcons, homeboy.

Back
Top Bottom