Waddle on the cusp of 1,000 yard rookie season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Waddle on the cusp of 1,000 yard rookie season

Aqua Man

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
We could make a pretty long list of amazing NFL WR’s that didn’t sniff 1,000 yards in their rookie season. In fact, WR is often considered to be the position that kinda needs that first year as a dress rehearsal to adjust to the NFL.

When you factor in everything: Tua injuries, awful back-up QB play, horrid O-line play, no semblance of a running game, the dual OC fiasco, the Deshaun Watson sideshow, and the fact that right now he’s being used more as a dink n dunk receiver out of necessity, it’s a minor miracle that the kid is on pace for around 940 yards.

It sucks that Philly has our 1st round pick next year, but I’m thrilled to have this kid. If a new GM comes in next year and stabilizes the ship, he’s going to be an absolute star. We also need to do whatever it takes to resign Gesecki and keep Hollins on the field as these three guys have an attitude, passion, and toughness that seems to be lacking from all the other pass catchers on our roster. Put an O-line on the field that can give a QB more than 1.5 seconds to throw the ball and watch Waddle turn into an absolute nightmare for opponents.

Grier has botched so many of our picks, but hopefully by next year we see Waddle as his parting gift to the Miami Dolphins.

Hes been open deep a few times this year and just flat out missed.

Barring injuries hes a perinial 1k WR
He’s also not a jump ball / big body guy lie Parker. I’ve seen a couple of ducks thrown up to him in double coverage and he’s got no chance. Gotta get him deep running. I don’t think the o-line can hold its blocks long enough.

Miami needs to once and for all decide what their going to do to fix the line issue...

1. Either move Hunt back to R-Tackle (Where he was starting to look good at), and get a quality Guard.

2. Keep Hunt at guard, and get a qualty Tackle in FA. No more bargain basement Tackles in FA, or drafting a Tackle that might or might not be good...Got the money, fix the line already.

3. Get a starting Center in the Draft or FA.

4. Most important, get a real O-Line coach, and an O-Coordintor that actually has experience, and can work with Tua, Waddle, Gesicki (They better re-sign him), and the line to be more effective.

Waddle, like Tua is being wasted, get real coaches, and talent around them that can help produce a quality offense.

He’s also not a jump ball / big body guy lie Parker. I’ve seen a couple of ducks thrown up to him in double coverage and he’s got no chance. Gotta get him deep running. I don’t think the o-line can hold its blocks long enough.

Yeah he will never be that guy.

He's a crossing pattern, deep post, slant, wheel/go route type of WR but that is fine. Not everyone has to be a jump ball/outmatch you with physical dominance type WR.

He's highly effective at what he does, we just need to find him on the same routes deeper down the field.

It's obvious he can catch the ball and get open. Anyway you slice it if you get 1,000 yards as a rookie receiver that's pretty impressive. That said, what the Dolphins did to draft him, and how they've used him, really suggests they thought he'd be electric with the ball in his hands. I think they really envisioned a guy who could turn short passes into long gains regularly. And unfortunately he doesn't show any ability to make defenders miss or get past them after the catch.

The production is something to be excited about. Happy to have him on the team. But, through no fault of his own, I think the front office and coaching staff evaluated Waddle to be able to things he hasn't been able to do on the NFL field.

It's obvious he can catch the ball and get open. Anyway you slice it if you get 1,000 yards as a rookie receiver that's pretty impressive. That said, what the Dolphins did to draft him, and how they've used him, really suggests they thought he'd be electric with the ball in his hands. I think they really envisioned a guy who could turn short passes into long gains regularly. And unfortunately he doesn't show any ability to make defenders miss or get past them after the catch.

The production is something to be excited about. Happy to have him on the team. But, through no fault of his own, I think the front office and coaching staff evaluated Waddle to be able to things he hasn't been able to do on the NFL field.
Exactly. Excellent points and post. Add in the trade up to get him and you get frustration due to the miss use of Waddle and loss of assets, to obtain him.

Back
Top Bottom