Wanny actively pursuing another wideout!! | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny actively pursuing another wideout!!

finzforever3000 said:
feely seems to think so....he really wants him on the team
Kinda like the idea of Freeman in the slot and Gardner teamed with Chambers.....I was really looking forward to Boston...this is a downer

Am - I missing the point here?????

Boston was not brought in to stretch defenses or be a downfield, burner-type receiver...why are we looking for such in his 'replacement'??????

Can't Chambers stretch the field??? We need a team player who will make the required catches, plain and simple...

Depending on each individual's perception, every WR is a bust/nobody to some, and God's gift to receivers to others...I agree we go after a 'bigger name' rather than not, but we really have to see what's available before we can speculate...

Receivers just need to run a good route, get open, and catch the ball, PERIOD...whether it's for 5 yards or fifty. I say...let's have WR by committee as well, as we have a good (not GREAT) crop of young, talented receivers...it's their time to step up, or be cut...

Simple, right??

ckparrothead said:
BTW, we don't know WHAT is going on with the McCardell situation. He's not just going to magically appear on the Dolphins' roster. If he became a FA you can bet we would bid him...but right now I think the coaches are looking for a deep threat.

And Gardner doesn't have to have 4.3 speed to be a deep threat (he has 4.4 speed though). Gadsden was a deep threat because he could fake, jump, and had unbelievable hands. The coaches squandered that on short routes and turned him into a fulltime starter short possession guy. Gardner has the ability to make plays down the field.

If i remember correctly, Gardner was having problems dropping passes. I don't even think we need a deep threat - just ANY threat... someone to take the load off chambers. I think McCardell would be a better fit than Gardner, and i think both are at the same level of attainability. In other words, i don't see Gardner any easier to get than McCardell. One thing we DO know - Gardner is definitely playing next season - McCardell may not be.

-tex

BlueFin said:
Kinda like the idea of Freeman in the slot and Gardner teamed with Chambers.....I was really looking forward to Boston...this is a downer
I was looking forward to Boston too...its bad but we gotta do something...Gardner seems to be on everybodys boards...I like him too but i dont wanna give up wally for him...Freeman def has more in the tank than tim brown i think....i hope we do the right thing

texasPHINSfan said:
why is anyone considering any of this? We got Thompson from the skins, and he put up better numbers there before we got him than Gardner did.

Did we not learn a lesson? I say keep O-gun another year, (resigning him obviously), let him make some good production (we need it on defense now), and trade him next year when good players are still available to pick up through trade... its too late now.

sign mccardel when he gets dumped the by bucs.... otherwise, look to FA. Signing one or two players from the redskins isn't going to send us to the superbowl. We need to look long-term, enough of these one-season bandaid solutions!

tex

Thompson did not put up better numbers when he was with Gardner in Washington.
In 2002, Gardner caught 71 passes for 1006 yards and 8 TDs while
Thompson caught 53 passes for 773 yards and 4 TDs.
Last year, Gardner caught 59 passes for 600 yards and 5 TDs for Wash., while as we know Thompson caught 26 passes for 359 yards and 0 TDs for us.

If we do trade for Gardner, he will be considered a long term addition, not a one year band-aid. No matter what, I'd never trade Ogun straight up for Gardner however. They'd need to sweeten the pot.

DolfanDonny said:
Am - I missing the point here?????

Boston was not brought in to stretch defenses or be a downfield, burner-type receiver...why are we looking for such in his 'replacement'??????

Can't Chambers stretch the field??? We need a team player who will make the required catches, plain and simple...

Depending on each individual's perception, every WR is a bust/nobody to some, and God's gift to receivers to others...I agree we go after a 'bigger name' rather than not, but we really have to see what's available before we can speculate...

Receivers just need to run a good route, get open, and catch the ball, PERIOD...whether it's for 5 yards or fifty. I say...let's have WR by committee as well, as we have a good (not GREAT) crop of young, talented receivers...it's their time to step up, or be cut...

Simple, right??
Boston would have been a downfield threat to help stretch defenses. He runs mid 4.4s. That is what would have made a duo of Chambers and Boston so sweet. They are both complete receivers. They can both go deep, and are both effective on possession routes. Anyone we get now will not likely be a do everything receiver like Chambers or Boston and for whatever reason it sounds like they'd like to find a receiver is more of a speed receiver/deep threat, if they have to specialize.

Drumroll please..... the big speed WR addition is going to be..........

MARTAY JENKINS!!!! Woot Woot!

The reason the skins were not willing to go with LaDell Betts is that he has not even close to proven he can stay healthy. I like the idea of Gardner and a 1st for O-Gun and a 3rd.

I like the idea of Samuels and Gardner even more, but that's not going to happen IMO.

Betts is a guy I would look at as a fall back. (of course that's really all the Phins are looking at right now)

Back
Top Bottom