Wanny actively pursuing another wideout!! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny actively pursuing another wideout!!

I have to say, that this dream of Rod Gardner and Chris Samuels for Ogun is just that...a pipe dream. The Skins are trying to make their run this year, not next year. The Gibbs plan is not a longterm one, he's too old for that and he probably won't last in DC more than 2 or 3 years, not unlike Parcells in Dallas. To give away Samuels and Gardner now would decimate their offense. It would be one thing if they had someone ready to step in for Samuels and Gardner, but they don't. Far as I can tell Samuels' backup LT is Brandon Winey, or Kenyatta Jones. Both are disappointments.

Gardner is backed up by Darnerian McCants, James Thrash, and Taylor Jacobs (who I'm not even sure played a single down in 2003).

Do they need to replace newly acquired Phillip Daniels or Renaldo Wynn that bad, that they would give both of those guys up? Probably not. In fact what I was hearing with the Ogun for Samuels thing was that THEY wanted the draft picks, as in we give them Ogun and a 2nd or 3rd for Samuels.

Now, if we're speaking realistically about Rod Gardner, I'd have to say its a possibility. They love Ogun. They want him. They have their misgivings with Gardner despite his production (if you've seen him play on a consistent basis as I have, you know these misgivings mainly pertain to boneheaded drops that have plagued him throughout his career...stats be damned). He doesn't have that great of deep speed but has the ability to be a deep playmaker, much like Gadsden was actually a deep playmaker for the Phins early in his career before we turned him into a short possession receiver (one of the worst moves ever IMO).

But would we want to give up Ogun for Gardner straight? Not me. Gardner is not the type of premier player that Ogunleye is, so its not worth it. But can we pry out a guy like Samuels too? VERY doubtful, since I personally believe it was doubtful we could have even pried Samuels out for Ogunleye STRAIGHT UP...I think the Skins wanted more, and there's no authoritative source that says otherwise.

My answer would be Ladell Betts. This guy I HAVE seen play, and man do I like him. You know, I wonder why Joe Gibbs authorized giving up the best corner in pro football AND a second rounder, for Clinton Portis, when you've got Ladell Betts there to tote the rock. Betts is a between the tackles runner who was wallowing away in Spurrier's system. What impressed me about Betts is even though Spurrier was having him do things that OBVIOUSLY were as foreign to Betts' game as chili sauce in a cheesecake, Betts managed to excel in a lot of ways that impressed me. This is a guy that was drafted too low when he came out...and looked impressive doing all the wrong things in Spurrier's monkey-@ss system.

If you ask me if I would trade Ogunleye for Gardner and Betts...I would seriously have to think about it. Morris...he looks impressive in camp, and Minor, he does too...but is that going to work in games? I have my doubts. I think we're seeing phantom optimism. I think Betts would partially solve our RB problems, maybe even give us that one guy again who could tote the rock in all situations. And Gardner, would be like an instant replacement for David Boston. He might not have the same potential David did, but I personally expected closer to 800 yards out of David rather than the 1600 yards people were envisioning. Chris Chambers was still by far the best WR on our roster. Gardner would give us another threat.

And if Bowens, Grigsby, and gasp...T.J. Bingham? are really doing what they need to do, in preseason GAMES just like Ogunleye did in his preseason debut against the Buccaneers (a game that I was at by the way) the year he started and gathered 9.5 sacks....then perhaps this would be the best move for us, to seal the most holes we can, while still allowing the D to be good because of the unbelievable secondary we'll be fielding (believe it, Poole is for real, and if Howard slips up in the slightest way, Poole will overtake him)

I just wanted to add real quick that the only thing that could make Samuels somewhat more expendable, would be if Mark Brunell sealed himself as the undisputed starting QB.

But, despite the 3rd rounder they gave, and the $8 million signing bonus, I hear that he's garnered the nickname "Out of Bounds" Brunell for his penchant for throwing out of bounds and nowhere near WRs...while Ramsey has really come alive, and could very well win the start in a surprise move that will probably only be announced right before the start of the season....in order to give the Pats less time to prepare for Ramsey as opposed to Brunell.

SpitOnSurtain80 said:
I'm sorry, i'm a BILLS fan. I don't particularly care about your cap space, I just thought it was tight. Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!!!! I was wrong....
Then maybe go troll on the Bills forums???:shakeno: :roflmao:

Rick 1966 said:
Who hasn't examined his knee and has no idea as to the extent of this injury or the previous one.
does it matter? He's out for the year and even if he recovers Wanny will still be coach next year.......start looking to 2006 for any significant contribution from Boston

How about Gardner and the underachieving OL whose name escapes me (Havnt had my coffee yet) for Ogun

SpitOnSurtain80 said:
Word is that Boston may never get back to form.

BTW, I heard y'all have to sign O-Gun before you can trade him (which in turn I heard is unlikely).

You are from Buffalo, look at Mcgahee and Evans. Both Buffalo's 1st round picks had HUGE knee injuries and look true to form now. I think both will be good for them this year :cry: .

rickeyrunsover said:
Gardner is a good receiver and would be an awesome #3 next year. Maybe Garnder and Ladell Betts?

Not a bad trade idea.

TerryTate said:
Rod Gardner is being looked at closely according to PFC

Why are we listening to PFC? When have they ever come through on a rumor?

Lesson learned

Haven't we learned anything from the past? We already took a chance on a Redskin receiver that had a decent season the year before and had so much potential and upside although he wasn't all that fast. His name is Derrius Thompson! Gardner is NOT the solution and I DEFINITELY don't want to lose one of our stud D-ends for what is still a question mark receiver. That would be stupid, but from what we have seen this offseason, nothing is out of the realm of dumbassity. We should pickup McCardell and Freeman (who Feeley is singing praises about catching anything that comes his way after playing with him in Philly during 2002), then get Stacey Mack and any other available talent that might be able to contribute. You know it burns me up that the Fins staff doesn't try to stockpile potential contributors at this time of year. We get to pair down the roster to 53 so if they don't do anything during training camp, no big loss. Look at John Jones, there was some fanfare when he came here from the Ravens and now Wanny is publicly ragging him for being out of shape and then he drives to the wrong airport and misses the fllight. I am sorry but they are running a complete circus down here and I am sickened by it. Nuff said...GO FINS! GO CANES!

why is anyone considering any of this? We got Thompson from the skins, and he put up better numbers there before we got him than Gardner did.

Did we not learn a lesson? I say keep O-gun another year, (resigning him obviously), let him make some good production (we need it on defense now), and trade him next year when good players are still available to pick up through trade... its too late now.

sign mccardel when he gets dumped the by bucs.... otherwise, look to FA. Signing one or two players from the redskins isn't going to send us to the superbowl. We need to look long-term, enough of these one-season bandaid solutions!

tex

canesfins said:
Haven't we learned anything from the past? We already took a chance on a Redskin receiver that had a decent season the year before and had so much potential and upside although he wasn't all that fast. His name is Derrius Thompson! Gardner is NOT the solution and I DEFINITELY don't want to lose one of our stud D-ends for what is still a question mark receiver. That would be stupid, but from what we have seen this offseason, nothing is out of the realm of dumbassity. We should pickup McCardell and Freeman (who Feeley is singing praises about catching anything that comes his way after playing with him in Philly during 2002), then get Stacey Mack and any other available talent that might be able to contribute. You know it burns me up that the Fins staff doesn't try to stockpile potential contributors at this time of year. We get to pair down the roster to 53 so if they don't do anything during training camp, no big loss. Look at John Jones, there was some fanfare when he came here from the Ravens and now Wanny is publicly ragging him for being out of shape and then he drives to the wrong airport and misses the fllight. I am sorry but they are running a complete circus down here and I am sickened by it. Nuff said...GO FINS! GO CANES!

that is so funny that i was thinking the same thing and typing while you posted.... i agree!

and the dolphins already had stacey mack down here to work out, and they didn't like what they saw. so if the dolphins officials don't like it, you can imagine how bad it must have been! :D

If you ask me if I would trade Ogunleye for Gardner and Betts...I would seriously have to think about it. Morris...he looks impressive in camp, and Minor, he does too...but is that going to work in games? I have my doubts. I think we're seeing phantom optimism. I think Betts would partially solve our RB problems, maybe even give us that one guy again who could tote the rock in all situations. And Gardner, would be like an instant replacement for David Boston. He might not have the same potential David did, but I personally expected closer to 800 yards out of David rather than the 1600 yards people were envisioning. Chris Chambers was still by far the best WR on our roster. Gardner would give us another threat.

Interesting CK !!

I forgot about L Betts he is a between the tackles type of runner but bear in mind he is only listed a 5-10 and weighs 222lbs.. With the injuries that C Portis has experienced I do not think that Gibbs will gamble on trading L Betts ..

I am with most here when the possibility of trading for R Gardener is brought up,,, I would rather keep what the Dolphins have and wait to see what is cut loose before the season starts ..

:D

Marino1983

SpitOnSurtain80 said:
Well, were getting mixed signals here from different people if you click that link I posted. Two say that he'll never be the same and may be career ending, another says he'll be fine. :confused:

One thing they seem to agree on is that he will lose some speed.
He may, he may not. He obviously did not lose any from the first time.

Its just going to be one of these things we will wait and see. Many experts said McGahee would never play again. He seems to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom