want the scoop heading into camp...barry jacksons got it | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

want the scoop heading into camp...barry jacksons got it

Phins chatter, Roberto Wallace turning heads and more

### Though some of the young veterans have not progressed as much as hoped (Clyde Gates, John Jerry primarily) here’s what should encourage you: Several others showed clear growth during offseason practices, from Roberto Wallace to Reshad Jones to Charles Clay to Jared Odrick to Jimmy Wilson. (Of course, we need to see this growth in August and September, not merely in May and June.)
Wallace made leaping catches, tight-roped the sidelines for others and used his size (6-4) and speed to make people notice.
“Roberto is going to be a pretty good receiver in this league,” David Garrard said. “He’s that guy I’ve really been looking at and trying to work with. When he puts it all together, he can be a big talent.” Julius Pruitt also turned heads but faces longer odds to stick.
The Dolphins are more convinced than ever that they have a dangerous weapon in Charles Clay, who lined up at receiver and tight end and often found seams for 8 to 25 yard chunks. If he’s this open against other defenses, he’s going to be trouble.
Defensively, Jones and Odrick have solidified starting spots. Jones is taking better angles in coverage and grabbed at least four interceptions in June – one pick-six off Ryan Tannehill. Odrick was very active, knocking down a pass from Garrard, frequently applying pressure and setting the edge on runs.
Wilson, smoothly transitioning from cornerback, has a good chance to be the No. 3 safety. “I like what he’s doing: good acceleration, good instincts,” Joe Philbin said.
### As much as Miami wants Jonathan Martin to start at right tackle, he needs a lot of work after playing on the left side at Stanford, and he knows it.
But players believe rookie Olivier Vernon will make an immediate impact as a situational pass rusher. “He plays with a low center of gravity and with good angles, just like Cam Wake,” Odrick said.
Lamar Miller often has turned the corner on running plays to the sidelines and flashed electric open-field skills as a receiver. “Lamar is very shifty, and you see that with him running routes,” Reggie Bush said. “He’ll learn quickly. He’ll definitely be able to help us this year. He can be a huge addition.”
Tight end Michael Egnew came on strong during June minicamp, using his size (6-5) and speed to catch several balls downfield.
### Among undrafted rookies, receiver Jeff Fuller shows flashes – “long, lanky, really gets out of his breaks,” Garrard said, though he couldn’t recall his name, oddly enough. But Fuller also has some drops (a problem for him at Texas A&M) and it’s difficult to envision him making the 53-man roster. Pittsburgh defensive tackle Chas Alecxih, Oregon State linebacker Cameron Collins and Missouri defensive end Jacquies Smith also have had their moments.
Les Brown, the former accountant who hadn’t played football since 2006 but was signed after an impressive workout at BYU, displayed steady hands (for the most part) and decent run-after-the-catch ability and looks like he’s worth developing on the practice squad.
### Karlos Dansby has looked good in transitioning to a 4-3 middle linebacker, including a pick of a Matt Moore pass that would have been returned for a touchdown. Coaches believe the move to a 4-3 will go smoothly because all of Miami’s starting linemen have experience playing in it: Wake in the CFL, Paul Soliai and Odrick in college and Randy Starks with the Titans.
### That anticipated battle between Koa Misi and Gary Guyton for a starting linebacker job? Hasn’t happened. Misi said he was with the first team in every practice this offseason.
### Offseason disappointments, beyond Gates, Tyrell Johnson and the uncertainty of the right side of the offensive line? Here's another: too many dropped passes, not only by receivers but all the tight ends, as well as Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas. Tannehill's up-and-down play hasn't surprised the Dolphins (they never were counting on him to start the opener) and hasn’t eroded longterm faith.
“I would have taken him before [2011 first-rounders] Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder,” CBS’ Phil Simms told us. “He made more NFL throws than any quarterback I saw in this year’s draft. Very good pocket presence.”

I'm pretty sure I read about Roberto Wallace doing awesome in the offseason every single year.

I'm pretty sure I read about Roberto Wallace doing awesome in the offseason every single year.

Was just about to say the same exact thing, every year we hear about this guy in the offseason and every year he contributes nothing

He cannot do anything if he is not on the field. Maybe this year he gets on the field and a few balls are thrown his way. No way to judge from the past. Judge from pre-season games and real games if he gets on the field. The trade of BM should allow this to happen.

The has to be his last opportunity to make the team and produce. Same for Marlon Moore.

Three years now and it has always been that they have potential but haven't shown much of anything in the regular season. Unless they become one of the top 3 or 4 WR on the team, I think it is time to move on and go with Cunningham or Matthews for a roster spot.

I would personally caution about enthusiasm on how any of the WRs are doing until they're doing it in pads. Then you want to see it in preseason as well. If they make it through both of those still impressing people then you might have something.

That is so true, we will give him 1 more year i think............

Garrad is no fool. If he says that Wallace is going a be a good reciever in this league, Im going to be excited about it. The kid just never saw the field behind BM.

Now that we have a competent coach and will give Wallace some playing time, maybe he'll finally do something in the regular season.

Like others said, you can't make any plays if you're not on the field.

You can't have a breakout year if you're not even playing :rolleyes:

Of all the local columnist Jackson's weekly rundown is the best. Short simple facts and opinions that answers questions we all have. Thanks for posting Hoops.

Sparano never played the guy on offense, hard to judge his talent when the previous regime kept the guy on the pine.

I think he can excel. Not too sure about Moore though.

Back
Top Bottom