Was Ronnie the right back? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was Ronnie the right back?

I think Ronnie Brown is probabaly the BEST back in the last draft for a team who has another "good" runningback. It goes much deeper then running styles. It's nice to have two good runners with different styles, like Duckett and Dunn in Tampa.

But when Dunn and Duckett are both on the field at the same time, there is not alot gained from it. There is an element of indecisiveness because you dont know which back will get the ball, but you lose something. Duckett cant block or recieve as well as their primary fullback can. By switching out their fullback, they lose something.

With Ronnie Brown, you dont. He was drafted as much for his ability to run the ball as he was doing OTHER things. He isnt going to be the best lead blocker in the league, but he will likely be better then 90% of the ballcarriers in the league.

Not only that, but he presents serious matchup problems as a reciever. In the open field, he has been recorded as running a 4.4 40 time. There are not many safeties, much less linebackers who can stay with that, and not many cornerbacks who can jam someone of his size and strength.

While Ricky is lined up at HB, Ronnie Brown can effectively lead block for him. On passing downs, he is someone who can effectively eliminate blitzers OR provide serious matchup problems. When splitting out to WR, he's more then a distraction.

Lazy1 said:
I really like Ronnie Brown and think he will be a successful back in the NFL. But I have to think that if we knew Ricky Williams was coming back for sure would Ronnie Brown still have been drafted by us? With Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams in the backfield it is a really talented backfield... but they are too similar of backs to really complement each other. Both Ricky and Ronnie are the type of runners where they are most successful when they carry the ball 30+ times a game( well atleast Ricky is and ronnie is a powerback). I think our backfield with Ricky back would be alot more dangerous with carnell williams rather than ronnie brown. That being said we really can't go wrong with a Ronnie Ricky combo... think about ricky or ronnie being fresh in the 4th quarter and dominating defenses... but then again if we had caddy ricky would still be fresh in the 4th and caddy would be cuttin up the defence.
Who cares, it's not like we can trust Ricky anyway. RB is the future of the Miami Dolphins! Enough said!

shouright said:
Ronnie Brown is the difference between having to COUNT on Ricky and having him as a LUXURY if he returns to his old form. Personally I'd hate to be COUNTING on Ricky right now.

AGREED - if he can walk out once, he COULD walk again...WITHOUT NOTICE...

(not saying he will, mind you)...

:shakeno:

Ronnie Brown Is Going To Show Everybody This Year Why He Was The #2 Pick In The Draft I Can't Wait Till The Pads Come On. :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

ronnie is definatly the right back. he is just like having another reciever. scouts were saying that he has some of the best hands in the draft, not just the RBs. and if we wouldve chosen someone else like caddy or cedric, we'de be questioning why we didnt get ronnie.

shouright said:
Ronnie Brown is the difference between having to COUNT on Ricky and having him as a LUXURY if he returns to his old form. Personally I'd hate to be COUNTING on Ricky right now.
:whip2:

TRUDOLFAN54 said:
Ronnie Brown Is Going To Show Everybody This Year Why He Was The #2 Pick In The Draft I Can't Wait Till The Pads Come On. :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

cool it. Sit down and have a beer and just wait until the season starts--let RB do the talikng on the field--he doesn't need you to stick up for him :wink:

Ronnei Brown IMO was the right selection beccasue you need a backbone to this team. This guy can flat out play. The bad thing is that he was considered the #2 or #3 before the combine (Benson as the first) and he got moved up because of combine numbers......

But since the fear or Ricky was there in Benson, Brown was the best choice........

RB is much more versatile than RW ever was. RW was an average receiver out of the backfield with average hands. RB is a superior and faster receiver out of the backfield who has excellent hands. His combine showing is what caused his draft stock to rise.

Brown is the BEST back to complement Ricky, because we can play them both at the same time.

Brown can be split as a FB/H-back and have them both on the field at the same time, similar to how he was used at Auburn.

Then, when we need to rest either of them they both can complement each other and not have the offense have to change anything.

Brown will be our guy, Ricky will be traded in a year as well. Then we'll have either Gordon or Harris to back Brown up.

Nice problem to have after the way our RB's where last year.

Lazy1 said:
I really like Ronnie Brown and think he will be a successful back in the NFL. But I have to think that if we knew Ricky Williams was coming back for sure would Ronnie Brown still have been drafted by us? With Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams in the backfield it is a really talented backfield... but they are too similar of backs to really complement each other. Both Ricky and Ronnie are the type of runners where they are most successful when they carry the ball 30+ times a game( well atleast Ricky is and ronnie is a powerback). I think our backfield with Ricky back would be alot more dangerous with carnell williams rather than ronnie brown. That being said we really can't go wrong with a Ronnie Ricky combo... think about ricky or ronnie being fresh in the 4th quarter and dominating defenses... but then again if we had caddy ricky would still be fresh in the 4th and caddy would be cuttin up the defence.

RB is the right back regardless of Ricky.....we have no way of knowing if Ricky will even make the team, whereas Ronnie is the real deal. We took the BPA, and you can't second guess that.

Lazy1 said:
if we knew Ricky Williams was coming back for sure would Ronnie Brown still have been drafted by us?
Yes.

Lazy1 said:

Would you consider Ronnie the "right choice" if Ricky didnt return? If so then you answered your own question. You have to base your decision on the possibility (or likelyhood) that even if Ricky does return to the Phins, that he will simply leave again. If not by his own choice then by that of the league when he tests positive again. Ricky has proven himself totally unreliable and to base your draft or offensive scheme on him in any way, regardless of anything he says, would be foolish beyond belief.

Back
Top Bottom