Watch A Breakdown Of 6 Poor Reads By Tannehill From The Patriots Game. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch A Breakdown Of 6 Poor Reads By Tannehill From The Patriots Game.

Other ones were all fair. Just thought that first play was piling on unnecessarily. The down and distance, pressure, didn't support the thesis that Tannehill should've found Drake on the play, unless we're saying Tannehill should've scrambled and bought time (which to be fair, he's supposed to be able to do).

and cks read on the first play is accurate. That ball went where it should go. Amendola was held there it’s a sticks concept it’s 3rd and 10 tanny does everything right there except the ball is thrown too far inside due to his feet mostly due to pressure. Otherwise he sets up and fires that ball off an even platform after shifting properly I might add to his target side.

We aren’t throwing dumps on 3rd and 10 unless the coverage and progression takes us there. For this example at least

Play #1 Larsen can sustain his block and allows the rusher to suddenly appear unblocked from the end of the line in RT's throwing window/vision, rushing the throw.

Prob is its easy to look at this stuff in slow motion and try to pick it apart. The QB has already mentally pulled the trigger on this throw, which he probably would have completed if the free rusher (at this point due to Larsen) didnt come out of nowhere to disrupt. When he mentally pulls the trigger, he has a lane a no rush in his face.

If Larsen sustains his block, RT either completes that, or has an extra half second to notice drake if the route is covered.

Too easy to pick stuff apart in slow motion/All-22. All these film professionals these days :lol:

I don’t necessarily agree with this one either. But I do understand where ck comes from with it.

I should have stipulated something.

It's nitpicky to say that Tannehill SHOULD have gone with Grant.

It's Cover One disguised as a Split Safety look with the safeties rotating at the snap. Albert Wilson is running a deep vertical on the field side against a rookie J.C. Jackson...opposite the rotation of the deep center fielder at the snap.

Tannehill had a right to throw that ball. He had a right to expect his speedy WR to beat a rookie with 4.44 speed.

When I've pointed at this play it's been more to illustrate that Jakeem Grant was open just like Adam Gase said he was. Should Tannehill have made that decision pre-snap? Maybe. He had every reason to decide the way he did though, too.

2nd play only reason the throw is not there is cause he gets moved off the spot by gesickis awful give away of the outside shoulder.

That’s it. Point blank. That ball went where it should go.

He takes an extra hitch step because of it. I want my qb taking that shot every time. Provided my damn tight end can hold up long enough for me to set my feet and make the throw.

Guys. I used to play QB and I was taught at pre-snap to read the defense. Make sure the alignment is correct. Feel pressure and know blitz. Progressions are as followed: If I had 4 WRs (2 L and 2 R) (No TE) (1 HB). Since I am Left handed, I am already looking right, I would start by looking off the safety if no one is open right look quick left 1 , 2 , 3, 4. Progression are always will always be: Deep, Intermediate, Shallow, and Short, Hot Read is the BACK out of the Backfield. So WR1 is Right far, WR2 Right slot, WR3 LS, WR4 LF. In today's NFL it is different as plays are called to one player only if he's not open then 2 if he's not open 3 and excreta. It all depends, some QB's have it out in 3 seconds or less and some can move around and keep it 5 or more seconds. RT is a lock-in QB wants to throw to first read which sometimes takes too long. It appears he wants them completely free of a defender before making a throw. In these examples which is not good.

2nd play only reason the throw is not there is cause he gets moved off the spot by gesickis awful give away of the outside shoulder.

That’s it. Point blank. That ball went where it should go.

I don't agree with that because when you look at the corner's leverage at the time when Tannehill clicked over from checking the safety to checking Wilson (sorry, though it was Stills for some reason), he wasn't open. The corner was on top of him. He wasn't in trail, nor was he even, at that point. That didn't happen until Tannehill had to slide to deal with Gesicki's pressure. And by then it was too late, because the delay gave the deep center enough time to get over to the ball.

also on that deep ball throw to Wilson he’s not reading amendolas release he’s reading the deep middle safety in his drop. Ie holding him with his head and eyes. The coverage id was made pre snap.

Amendola is working a secondary progression here vs this coverage.

And even is leaving in the nfl with speed on the boundary and no safety help. That’s why we added all this speed to run by single coverage.

It’s press man too. Throw that all day long every day.

IF Adam Gase is criticizing Ryan Tannehill for not checking to Amendola on that play, and I do honestly think he was, then I think it's because Adam Gase will have wanted Tannehill to recognize the soft press or catch technique New England were playing instead of jamming at the line in press man.

Like I said, Stephon Gilmore was on top of Albert Wilson until they got beyond the 10 yard mark, and when Tannehill clicked over to check them, that's what he should have seen.

That's ultimately why that 2nd play should have gone to Amendola, IMO.

Last edited:
The next play I have no problem with. I’m told that’s late but he looks to the motion based flare route first. That motion is hoping to outflank the coverage. Instead he comes off of it and throws to amendola after it looks like he scans the clear out route for a nanosecond. Yes it’s a small window between defenders but it’s the pros.

He isn’t gonna throw to the amendola route right out of the break without looking to the motion based concept first there. The deep route is running into the help coverage

The ball is high but that’s accuracy and placement not coverage id

Last edited by a moderator:
also on that deep ball throw to Wilson he’s not reading amendolas release he’s reading the deep middle safety in his drop. Ie holding him with his head and eyes. The coverage id was made pre snap.

Amendola is working a secondary progression here vs this coverage.

And even is leaving in the nfl with speed on the boundary and no safety help. That’s why we added all this speed to run by single coverage.

It’s press man too. Throw that all day long every day.

He looks to me like he's playing soft press, or soft shoe, catching him at the the 5 yard area and staying on top of him. It's not quite the press man that makes you want to throw that route.

I’m a fan, not someone who breaks down film.
However, I’ve been a fan since 1971 and recall David Woodley as well as Don Strock and Dan Marino.
For the record, I feel RT is twice the QB that David Woodley was (RIP), but there are similarities.
When Woodley was the QB, it was primarily a run based, ball control offense and the phins were most successful playing with a lead. The killer Bs were best playing with a lead.
However, when things went sour and the Phins fell behind, Woodley could not bring the team back with his arm. Never anyone open and always under pressure. In 1981-82 Shula would bench Woodley and put in Strock. Suddenly there was time to throw and guys would miraculously be open.
When Marino benched Woodley for good, what a difference. It was against the Oakland Raiders during Marino’s rookie year. Woodley could not move the offense.Marino came in and threw 3 TD passes in the second half. The phins fell short in that shootout, but the rest was history.
All I’m saying is that the better QBs find a way. RT is not the guy.
The team needs to move on after this season, unless he surprises everyone and turns it around on a CONSISTENT basis.

He looks to me like he's playing soft press, or soft shoe, catching him at the the 5 yard area and staying on top of him. It's not quite the press man that makes you want to throw that route.

I agree it’s not press man. Looks like what you said. But it also looks like a hitch and go to me and I’m still throwing it every time vs that coverage with that speed on the edge and that safety location provided I don’t get so moved off my spot. Which is the real issue here. He’s taking multiple extra steps bringing the safety in the process

So Tannehill is good at making reads? Amendola is the 3rd or 4th option every play? His own head coach who called the plays is wrong too? I think what’s obvious is you’re still making excuses for Tannehill

Yawn....

Back
Top Bottom