Watch A Breakdown Of 6 Poor Reads By Tannehill From The Patriots Game. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch A Breakdown Of 6 Poor Reads By Tannehill From The Patriots Game.

None of us know his true progression on these plays as we don't work for the Phins. Regardless, on some plays he "zeroes" in on a WR who isn't open and throws it anyway without going through his progression. On other's he's just not accurate, and on one or two, he has time to go through his progression but doesn't, forcing it to a WR instead of finding the open man.

It's a combination of things, none of which are very good.
If no one knows the exact route combos, then why are you trying to project that you do.
This aqua and orange fella knows more about the fundamentals of a play then more than 2/3 of the posters on this site. I would believe him 99% of the time. CK is another incredible poster. Those two are straight up the most knowledgeable posters here.

Well you know, Tannehill has always struggled pre snap and knowing where to go with the football. He doesn't see the entire field. He's always had a tendancy to lock on to his first read and struggles coming off of it. He's at his best with half field reads. A lot of times you can help quarterbacks who don't see the entire field well by using 3x1 alignments as opposed to 2x2 - but even that didn't help him.

I don't know what these coaches are teaching the TE's, but Gesicki's technique isn't the way I would teach it. He's never able to come to balance trying to block like an offensive lineman. He needs to be coached to block as if he were a running back. He needs to split his guy's crotch with his outside foot and force him to go around him. You always want to attack the inside leg of an outside rusher - meaning you have your "full" body in line with his inside leg as opposed to only half of your body. The rusher can go either way he chooses if you don't, and you'll lose unless you win the hand battle. That's just poor technique being coached.
Or a player that can't learn and/or execute what he's being told.

I’m a fan, not someone who breaks down film.
However, I’ve been a fan since 1971 and recall David Woodley as well as Don Strock and Dan Marino.
For the record, I feel RT is twice the QB that David Woodley was (RIP), but there are similarities.
When Woodley was the QB, it was primarily a run based, ball control offense and the phins were most successful playing with a lead. The killer Bs were best playing with a lead.
However, when things went sour and the Phins fell behind, Woodley could not bring the team back with his arm. Never anyone open and always under pressure. In 1981-82 Shula would bench Woodley and put in Strock. Suddenly there was time to throw and guys would miraculously be open.
When Marino benched Woodley for good, what a difference. It was against the Oakland Raiders during Marino’s rookie year. Woodley could not move the offense.Marino came in and threw 3 TD passes in the second half. The phins fell short in that shootout, but the rest was history.
All I’m saying is that the better QBs find a way. RT is not the guy.
The team needs to move on after this season, unless he surprises everyone and turns it around on a CONSISTENT basis.
no he wasn't on sunday,his 10-2 record in the last 12 shows he is the guy!

If no one knows the exact route combos, then why are you trying to project that you do.
This aqua and orange fella knows more about the fundamentals of a play then more than 2/3 of the posters on this site. I would believe him 99% of the time.

Where's the down vote gone ? It's Wednesday finally they are showing their faces again.

Listen the OP went to the effort of breaking down these plays, did a really good job of explaining to average joes like me how what transpired. If you look at his previous posts in other games, he's been pretty postive on Tannehill.

Instead of yourself and the other guy criticising his work because it doesn't fit with your agendas, offer an alternative analysis one which proves that Tannehill is the world beater you keep making out he is. Go on, you'll get an immediate like from me if you put the same effort into as the OP did.

Where's the down vote gone ? It's Wednesday finally they are showing their faces again.

Listen the OP went to the effort of breaking down these plays, did a really good job of explaining to average joes like me how what transpired. If you look at his previous posts in other games, he's been pretty postive on Tannehill.

Instead of yourself and the other guy criticising his work because it doesn't fit with your agendas, offer an alternative analysis one which proves that Tannehill is the world beater you keep making out he is. Go on, you'll get an immediate like from me if you put the same effort into as the OP did.
Slow down there Skippy, I was asking a question to his response.

I came into the season with a sceptical but open minded on Tannehill eventually being the guy. The first three games, although we won, perpetuated the same feelings I have garnered on him in his 7 years, one of "is he or isn't he". The 4th left me in little doubt that he's not the former. We need to look at another route this off season, the dead money is an absolute killer, I didn't like the contract when we gave it to him, I further didn't like the restructure. But at some point you have got to get out of it. I would be all for writing off next season if it meant that in 2 years time we had hope again and a clear difference maker under center.
Well, we could draft a QB and still have Tanny for the 2019 season but play the rookie if the HC think he's ready. For the 2020 season the dead money on Tannheill would "only" be 5.5 mill which is a lot less than 13 mill.

I get it.

After a week of fawning over Tannehill for two half yard passes for touchdowns, now the critics are coming out to show everything he did wrong in a awful game for the offense.

Y’all Just get over it. The man had a bad game, the entire team had a bad game . . . Its time to move on . . . And I say that knowing it is everybody’s right to analyze the hell out of the game, but at some point stabbing your eyes out has to feel better than revisiting this game again.

**** that, I am ready for Sunday and 17 is the QB.

The last play looks like zone to me. The pats rush what looks like 5 and we have a 5 man protect which is why he’s gonna let those crossing routes develop. Given this you don’t immediately go to the flare. Looks to me like he’s waiting for that bottom side deepest crosser to clear and he gets sacked.

He’s even shifted down towards it. The flare is the dump there but again if the protection accounts for the 5 man rush with 5 there’s no reason you just go to it. I have a feeling that our alignment pre snap got those zone defenders out of position a little late to where that flare is very much open.

If you want to give him the sack there that’s fine I don’t have a problem with it. Just know the flare is the late dump and he’s likely waiting on that deeper crosser to come free bottom side. Pats passed off those crossing routes pretty well.

And full disclosure when I say he’s giving you bad information I’m referring to tbe bad reads part on these gifs

At this point in the game it's 38-0 and the play is 3rd & 8. I don't think the flare is going to be your first option based on the pre-snap read, with that in mind...but when you read zone with the six defenders all backed up that way, I do think it's fair to key on the flare before the snap and try and hit it. I've seen Phil Rivers do it plenty. But he's Phil Rivers.

Elsewise, I suppose you could ask your franchise QB to evade some pressure, buy some time, and then hit Gore out there. You see others do that sometimes.

But who cares, it's 38-0 and 3rd & 8 at that point. The Patriots are in 6- or 7-DBs here, can't quite tell which.

Well, we could draft a QB and still have Tanny for the 2019 season but play the rookie if the HC think he's ready. For the 2020 season the dead money on Tannheill would "only" be 5.5 mill which is a lot less than 13 mill.

We can. His name is Ryan Finley and he plays currently for nc state.

That's much more palatable.

At this point in the game it's 38-0 and the play is 3rd & 8. I don't think the flare is going to be your first option based on the pre-snap read, with that in mind...but when you read zone with the six defenders all backed up that way, I do think it's fair to key on the flare before the snap and try and hit it. I've seen Phil Rivers do it plenty. But he's Phil Rivers.

Elsewise, I suppose you could ask your franchise QB to evade some pressure, buy some time, and then hit Gore out there. You see others do that sometimes.

But who cares, it's 38-0 and 3rd & 8 at that point. The Patriots are in 6- or 7-DBs here, can't quite tell which.

That’s a good point about philip rivers. Seen it a lot. I think the most valid criticism for this one is once you see them drop out into that zone that takes away your crossing concepts early check to the dump post snap before you take contact. Understand where your get out of jail frees are.

But at the same time he might have said vs zone I throw the dump early it gets shut down cause it’s zone and then it becomes “why didn’t he given that protection call and ask wait for the crossers to develop more?”

At any rate games over there.

As the OP here, I appreciate everyone's feedback (even those that are critical). In fairness, I could've/should've titled it differently as it isn't just about the "reads," although I believe that is part of it. I could easily get into a back-and-forth with some of you, but it isn't worth it.

I really just want to make sure everyone knows I am FAR from a Tannehill hater, but he did play a very bad game. I always point out his great stuff too:

and

and

Back
Top Bottom