Watch A Breakdown Of 6 Poor Reads By Tannehill From The Patriots Game. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch A Breakdown Of 6 Poor Reads By Tannehill From The Patriots Game.

As the OP here, I appreciate everyone's feedback (even those that are critical). In fairness, I could've/should've titled it differently as it isn't just about the "reads," although I believe that is part of it. I could easily get into a back-and-forth with some of you, but it isn't worth it.

I really just want to make sure everyone knows I am FAR from a Tannehill hater, but he did play a very bad game. I always point out his great stuff too:

and

and

I don't think its about if you are a fan of Tannehill or not, its about the fact its literally the most pointless thing to point people open without addressing progressions first.

As the OP here, I appreciate everyone's feedback (even those that are critical). In fairness, I could've/should've titled it differently as it isn't just about the "reads," although I believe that is part of it. I could easily get into a back-and-forth with some of you, but it isn't worth it.

I really just want to make sure everyone knows I am FAR from a Tannehill hater, but he did play a very bad game. I always point out his great stuff too:

and

and

And please keep doing what you do. The fact that you took the time out to revisit the game is in itself an amazing feat.

But there is too much “I wanna be right about 17” mixed in amongst others to where it just becomes “hurry up Sunday”.

It is Ryan’s year to really either continue to rise or continue to be just an average to slightly below average joe . . . And I am enjoying the good and the bad because I want to see how he bounces back.

This was the most obvious loss on the schedule and if you (not u but in general) felt otherwise than well I don’t know what to tell u. Bad games happen, it was so bad that it makes me feel like it could be an aberration of sorts.

Either way I am just ready to move on.

Thanks again for your effort :)

I will just close with make sure you post situation with these gifs. Ie from down and distance to scoreboard. Cause it will help you identify primary sticks concepts , defensive situational calls, and better understand the qbs thinking. The scoreboard etc can let you know when a qb is pressing.

If he’s chasing it he’s more likely to press.

Football is just about all situational in terms of analysis and ask.

Absolutely, outside of these 6, Tannehill was super awesome. FFS man it's a sample size, the OP could probably break down his 6 good plays (if he could find them).

Point is, fans put their own players on a microscope after a loss, Tannehill is not the worst QB in the league because of last week.

Progressions are always worked from the strength of the formation. You may not know exactly how the coach wants the quarterback to work them, but you know where the coach wants the quarterback's eyes to go. I've never been around a system where the progressions are worked opposite of the strength. Opposite of the strength is where you go only if you identify single coverage pre snap - which is where you go with the football at this level.

You don't even look at your progressions if you've identified a 1-on-1 matchup in your favor and single coverage once the defense has declared. This is why you tag routes out of 2x2.

The back releasing into pass routes in the flats is also your indicator it was a "scat" protection - or 5 man protection. The ball has to come out quickly. If you're reading the correct defenders post-snap, you'll see your back wide open in the flat. That's why he's there.

Point is, fans put their own players on a microscope after a loss, Tannehill is not the worst QB in the league because of last week.

There are honestly not too many starting QB's in the NFL right now that I would not take ahead of him.

Thanks for the breakdown @AnthonySabaNFL

It's hard for me to agree or disagree with your analysis on the posted clips.

I would imagine it's easy to dissect most QBs when you're looking at second by second frames vs real time stuff.

Tannehill needs to get better. Our season really depends on it. Gase and company need to do a much better job helping him. They need to invest in those 2 RBs that we have.

It seems like to me that usually when a thread gets past 3 pages it has deteriorated into a keyboard war of words and egos out of control!

This thread is none of that (so far) and is pure gold with A&O and CK chiming in!

Whats been reinforced to me is "tape guys" can look at every play in a vacuum and convince themselves that the QB that was 11-20 with a 47 rating played the perfect game. Its astonishing.

Yeah, I know. I share the identical frustration and I've voiced the same thing countless times. It is still startling to me because where I lived for so long the tape guys were not allowed any weight at all. They were literally laughed out of the room. Bottom line town so adjustments not exactly appreciated, not unless they involved which team was likely in situational positive mode or situational negative mode. That stuff does work...more often than not.

I'll point out that the tape guys like Sons of Shula and Hoops were also the ones who claimed that Tannehill would naturally rise up the ladder due to attrition alone, as Manning and Brady, etc. retired. I emphasized it was nonsense, that normalcy doesn't go away, and therefore we'll have guys taking those spots ahead of Tannehill, even if we don't know the names right now. I certainly didn't know Patrick Mahomes' name at the time. I might have heard of early Baker Mayfield. None of it is surprising. If we are content with a quarterback on this level the remainder of the league aspires above us.

Tannehill has good numbers this year, albeit partially due to the short shovel passes against the Raiders. Still, I'm not going to ignore the high YPA. He needs to be trusted to cut loose early in pivotal games especially as underdog. A few years ago at Cincinnati he hit Stills on our first possession for a deep touchdown. We didn't do much the rest of the game. But that type of early aggression is necessary. I am not conceding anything to a Crowd team like the Cincinnati Bengals. Who cares how many points they have scored? Is that supposed to be season long norm? Hardly. They can regress and will regress. But if it happens against us we need to be there to take advantage of it, instead of hoping they stall at our 1 yard line early, enabling another late comeback.

I hope the offensive line injuries don't mean this is another season we rationalize that we don't really know what we have in Ryan Tannehill. That is beyond old.

Whats been reinforced to me is "tape guys" can look at every play in a vacuum and convince themselves that the QB that was 11-20 with a 47 rating played the perfect game. Its astonishing.
I don’t think there’s a poster who thinks
Tannehill played a perfect game, not one. Even the most knowledgeable posters and Tannehill supporters on this site said he sucked. Just because somebody disputes some ones analysis on certain plays doesn’t mean that they’re saying Tannehill played a perfect game.

Yeah, I know. I share the identical frustration and I've voiced the same thing countless times. It is still startling to me because where I lived for so long the tape guys were not allowed any weight at all. They were literally laughed out of the room. Bottom line town so adjustments not exactly appreciated, not unless they involved which team was likely in situational positive mode or situational negative mode. That stuff does work...more often than not.

I'll point out that the tape guys like Sons of Shula and Hoops were also the ones who claimed that Tannehill would naturally rise up the ladder due to attrition alone, as Manning and Brady, etc. retired. I emphasized it was nonsense, that normalcy doesn't go away, and therefore we'll have guys taking those spots ahead of Tannehill, even if we don't know the names right now. I certainly didn't know Patrick Mahomes' name at the time. I might have heard of early Baker Mayfield. None of it is surprising. If we are content with a quarterback on this level the remainder of the league aspires above us.

Tannehill has good numbers this year, albeit partially due to the short shovel passes against the Raiders. Still, I'm not going to ignore the high YPA. He needs to be trusted to cut loose early in pivotal games especially as underdog. A few years ago at Cincinnati he hit Stills on our first possession for a deep touchdown. We didn't do much the rest of the game. But that type of early aggression is necessary. I am not conceding anything to a Crowd team like the Cincinnati Bengals. Who cares how many points they have scored? Is that supposed to be season long norm? Hardly. They can regress and will regress. But if it happens against us we need to be there to take advantage of it, instead of hoping they stall at our 1 yard line early, enabling another late comeback.

I hope the offensive line injuries don't mean this is another season we rationalize that we don't really know what we have in Ryan Tannehill. That is beyond old.
I don’t always agree on your take, but enjoy reading your take, Interesting and informative.

At no point did I say that. I just said the coverage reads were correct. And I took it further than that by explaining it.

No drive bys here.

Back
Top Bottom