Watch Our Poor Ol/te Blocking Shut Down An Entire 3-play Series. Games Are Won/lost In The Trenches | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch Our Poor Ol/te Blocking Shut Down An Entire 3-play Series. Games Are Won/lost In The Trenches

Trusting the defense yes was dumb. Not sure why anyone would do that with how much we blow assignments situationally in that unit.

That much I agree with.

We don’t play complementary football. We score td first drive we promptly give up 6 colts first possession. Been a problem for a long time. Rarely does both units play well together

Those two units have only been on the same page a handful of times in the past 20 years since Dan retired.

All you have to do is look at Green Bay, Atlanta, New England, Seattle, Chiefs, the Vikings, the Chargers, the Colts, the Bengals, the Texans, the Giants . . . .all these teams had spurts of bad oline play but either the status quo at QB overcame them or they got new blood in at the position that overcame them. Again it is not a perfect science, if you want to dig into 31 teams and come up with something more definitive by all means go ahead but in every example the status quo had success eventually or new blood at qb did.

This notion that no other QB could do anything better in this offense or behind this line is biggest fallacy on this site by people.

Exactly correct. These tape guy threads are typically biased in concept and lend to desired outrage and overreaction. Meanwhile, you can sample any team in the league and find the offensive line blown up in one of more series per game. It is nothing but raw normalcy. Threads like this hint it as our train wreck alone. And that is insulting.

There is nothing wrong with dissecting minute details, as long as you understand the weakness and danger of that type of approach. Not many people do. The ones who dive into every category invariably want to believe they have discovered something that nobody else knows, and therefore it lends to greater clarity. Meanwhile, a handful of big picture categories will always overwhelm the frantic minutiae. Desperation to watch every play from All-22 and make one subjective evaluation after another is what leads to claims that Bill Lazor is the worst of all time and unfairly hindering Tannehill from his deserved greatness. Suckers galore fall for that type of thing because the presenter uses tape as a prop. It is nothing but a glorified prop.

cbrad on the other site is one of the few I've seen who has marvelous ability to check out one incredibly specific category after another, and provide tons of interesting findings from them, while realizing and often announcing that a handful of major variables are far more meaningful than all his complicated work.

We're middle of the road in pretty much every measurable regarding the line. From sacks to QB hits to rushing yards/attempt. I've watched every team at some point in the season, most of them multiple times and I don't see anything worse with us than with them, yet somehow our offensive line is always considered a catastrophe. Not buying it, especially this year. The only time it looked like trash was when Tunsil and James were out (which probably dropped us down a little bit in those measurables). If these are the only games you watch and you have so much invested in it as a fan, any error stands out x100.

Are they perfect throughout the game, every game? Nope, just like every other team. But they aren't even close to the worst.

That part I just don't agree with. Obviously it becomes difficult to achieve optimal results when your oline is missing assignments . . . But Continuing with the status quo at QB while changing oline parts on end to no avail and seeing the same poor results is just stupid at this point.

U may end up right, but that conclusion is incorrect until u make a decent attempt at changing the QB. Seen many QBs overcome poor oline play and lead their team to success . . . .it definitely isn't some science but I will take my chances, especially in a league that is demanding $25+ million AAV on the cap for average at best QB play.

Few QBs overcome poor line play on a consistent basis. There are definitely QBs that help their line by checking to better plays or by changing the protection. There are QBs that extend 4 to 6 plays per game that does win football games. No QB consistently overcomes poor line play.

Question did we start Bredal at LG in the last game and only played Larsen when Swansen left injured? Just curious if we were already trying to remove Larsen.

Yes! Brendel played well at left guard, and I absolutely believe we win if Swanson is not injured.

Exactly correct. These tape guy threads are typically biased in concept and lend to desired outrage and overreaction. Meanwhile, you can sample any team in the league and find the offensive line blown up in one of more series per game. It is nothing but raw normalcy. Threads like this hint it as our train wreck alone. And that is insulting.

There is nothing wrong with dissecting minute details, as long as you understand the weakness and danger of that type of approach. Not many people do. The ones who dive into every category invariably want to believe they have discovered something that nobody else knows, and therefore it lends to greater clarity. Meanwhile, a handful of big picture categories will always overwhelm the frantic minutiae. Desperation to watch every play from All-22 and make one subjective evaluation after another is what leads to claims that Bill Lazor is the worst of all time and unfairly hindering Tannehill from his deserved greatness. Suckers galore fall for that type of thing because the presenter uses tape as a prop. It is nothing but a glorified prop.

cbrad on the other site is one of the few I've seen who has marvelous ability to check out one incredibly specific category after another, and provide tons of interesting findings from them, while realizing and often announcing that a handful of major variables are far more meaningful than all his complicated work.

There is definitely a danger with cherrypicked plays, but sometimes it is the majority of plays or a significant portion of the plays like 1/3 of the plays. The bottom line is that Larsen performs poorly on a significant number of plays.

very discouraging on a number of levels... SOS over and over...

The utilization of Gesicki is inexplicable!

Really hard to believe...

>>> great work as usual <<<

:)
agree, trying to block and DE with your worst blocker makes no sense but we're the Dolphins

Few QBs overcome poor line play on a consistent basis. There are definitely QBs that help their line by checking to better plays or by changing the protection. There are QBs that extend 4 to 6 plays per game that does win football games. No QB consistently overcomes poor line play.

I don’t disagree at all, but the idea that we have invested many resources on the offensive line since 2011 to no avail and several coaches and GM combos . . . .and it has all been a wash, maybe, just maybe, it is time to at least “attempt” to add some young talent to the QB room instead of handcuffing and then doubling down via restructure on Ryan Tannehill . . . .and this happened post injury which is just laughable from an organizational standpoint.

Until that happens, defaulting blame on anything and everything else except that position is just a narrative that should fall on deaf ears.

Yes! Brendel played well at left guard, and I absolutely believe we win if Swanson is not injured.

It’s very possible cause watching this tape right now once Swanson turned his ankle or whatever he couldn’t get to anything in space or pass off assignment wise and Larsen looks like a guy that’s playing hurt to me.

Brendel is a keeper. Larsen may need to hang em up seasons end.

And I’m real underwhelmed with Jesse davis development. He looks to have almost maxed out or something and not where we need him to be.

Swanson is literally playing on one leg. And we leave a bunch of yards on the field in the run game because of his inability to get out in space.

It’s very possible cause watching this tape right now once Swanson turned his ankle or whatever he couldn’t get to anything in space or pass off assignment wise and Larsen looks like a guy that’s playing hurt to me.

Brendel is a keeper. Larsen may need to hang em up seasons end.

And I’m real underwhelmed with Jesse davis development. He looks to have almost maxed out or something and not where we need him to be.

Davis has been one of the surprising disappointments this year. He hasn’t been Larsen bad but he hasn’t been very good either . . . .then again you can be a competent line with the way he has played.

I wonder if we try to kick him outside next year as a RT option assuming we let James walk.

And there is no doubt in my mind that Brendal could EASILY be the best interior line option next year . . . .and that includes Josh Sitton.

Put him right behind X as the next most important resign this offseason.

Watching gesicki run routes makes me want to break stuff. No shoulder shake or suddenness. rounding off any actual hard sideways cut.

This pick is awful. I can’t believe we got to do 2 more years of this.

I mean Larsen aside, the fact that Asiata can't get in the field over him is so unbelievable that I almost think it has to be a preference to the vet over the youngster draft pick. There is no way Asiata is that bad.

And Gesicki . . .lol
Good point about Asiata. Larsen will be out of the league after this year. He’s just done. And Gesicki is like a high schooler playing against men. Wow.

I don’t disagree at all, but the idea that we have invested many resources on the offensive line since 2011 to no avail and several coaches and GM combos . . . .and it has all been a wash, maybe, just maybe, it is time to at least “attempt” to add some young talent to the QB room instead of handcuffing and then doubling down via restructure on Ryan Tannehill . . . .and this happened post injury which is just laughable from an organizational standpoint.

Until that happens, defaulting blame on anything and everything else except that position is just a narrative that should fall on deaf ears.
You're making too much sense. According to some people here we can't draft another QB till we have an all pro at every other position first. That's why we must give Tannehill another 6 or 7 years so that we can have great players at every single spot first and then he'll be a great QB at that point.

You know a lineman is underwhelming when he’s picking up the ball carrier off the ground a lot of the time. Jesse davis does an awful lot of that.

Back
Top Bottom