We lost because the coaches didn't run the football. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We lost because the coaches didn't run the football.

Superself said:
It is that simple. Same reason why we lost last week.

It wasn't Gus's fault or anyone else's. It is ultimately Nick's fault for allowing Linehan to initiate an air attack all game long. That is our weakness. Our passing game is sporadic at best!

Establish the run with the two thoroughbreds you've got back there and everything else will fall into place.

Well, when you're behind, running becomes less an option the longer the game goes on. We did have 18 rushes but weren't effective enough. if we had kept on, we would've only eaten the clock up quicker and that plays more into TBs hands. TOP says alot here. they had the ball 10 min more BY running on us.

volk said:
The problem is the Dolphins have committed so many penalties, that if anything even looks like it *might* have been a penalty, it is going to be called.

So true!

I disagree. If Miami ran 30 times I think they would have only gained about 70 yards. Simple put, Tampa Bay dared Miami to pass and big plays were there for the making because of that. Unfortunately until Miami starts hitting some of those long passes, 8-9 men in the box will be how opponents defense the Dolphins.

Superself said:
Every NFL team does it. You think Shaun Alexander didn't face 8 man fronts yesterday...LaDainian Tomlinson....Priest Holmes?? They face those same fronts...better yet, they face an entire defense keying on them every play. Yet they persevere!
We can do the same if our guys have established a mindset that they are going to run it well. As soon as you run scared because another team has lined up 8-9 in the box, that is when you lose.
You just provided the defense for throwing it every play as we seemed to do yesterday....Holmes, Tomlinson, and Alexander all have 3 things in common. #1 Very Good O-lines....we don't....
#2 They are all 3 THE top 3 backs in the NFL! Ronnie Brown isn't yet and that other guy will never be again!
#3 Last but not least all 3 of them teams you gave as examples all have established QB's. Gus is a lifetime backup and now we are seeing why!
This in no way falls back to Linehan or Saban. They have very little to work with at this point. Give the coaching staff a minimum of 2 to 3 years to put their stamp on this team before we run them out of town.:shakeno:

ohall said:
I promise you if you were to look at the film he was not facing 8 and 9 man fronts consistently for whatever reason. No HB can make consistent positive yards running against that kind of rush D. It simply is not possible.

It is possible and you do get success from it. Why? Because the RB has the ability to get through the first tackle. Also, it wears a defense down. After attempting to tackle a 230 pound load all day, you get tired and start to hesitate.

I think you are the one who is confused.

dolphindude13 said:
Holmes, Tomlinson, and Alexander all have 3 things in common. #1 Very Good O-lines....we don't....
#2 They are all 3 THE top 3 backs in the NFL! Ronnie Brown isn't yet and that other guy will never be again!

I have to disagree with your inclusion of Holmes on this list. He has lost his edge. Johnson looks like the better back these days. Anyway, Thomas Jones is actually the #3 back in the NFL based on this year's statistics (following Tomlinson and Alexander).

DOLFANMIKE said:
So what you are saying is that you want our old offense back.

Why not let the pro's do what they do and not pretend to know the answer? Did you not notice 8-9 players in and out of the box all game? Maybe if we caught the balls we should have alone we would have scored more.

I think its a big mistake on your part to play Monday morning coach about we woulda and we coulda. You are acting like you have reviewed film and understand how to break it down. Seriously, these guys are good at what they do. That is not in question by anyone in the coaching ranks. It's silly for you to think you have an up on them in terms of what they did and what they should have done.

Did I say that? NO.

I would like a little balance. What is wrong with that?
You'd like to throw the ball all day while it continue to be our weakness?? Why not mix the run in there?

It seems a lot of fans are scared to death of running because they have been spoon fed the idea that running of any form is akin to wannyball. That is stupid.

ohall said:
Yea let's just run into 8 and 9 man fronts! I mean it's what Wanny would do!

If our receivers catch the passes we win that game yesterday. You can say that about every loss we've had this year!

Thank you, it was more than obvious Tampa's focus was stopping the run, forcing Gus to have to beat them, he and the receivers just couldn't execute.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I disagree. If Miami ran 30 times I think they would have only gained about 70 yards. Simple put, Tampa Bay dared Miami to pass and big plays were there for the making because of that. Unfortunately until Miami starts hitting some of those long passes, 8-9 men in the box will be how opponents defense the Dolphins.

Who says we should run it 30 times??

How about running it at least 23-25 times?

You guys are so scared of 8-9 men in the box its downright crazy.

Superself said:
It is possible and you do get success from it. Why? Because the RB has the ability to get through the first tackle. Also, it wears a defense down. After attempting to tackle a 230 pound load all day, you get tired and start to hesitate.

I think you are the one who is confused.

What % would you say LT faces 8-9 man fronts?

Superself said:

I can buy 30-40, but I seriously doubt he has gained most of his rushing yards, or even a good portion of his ruhsing yards facing 8 or 9 man fronts.

You make a good point, about being able to run against the 8 or 9 man fronts, but I honestly feel no team, or HB can gain positive yards consistently against that kind of rush D.

Superself said:
Every NFL team does it. You think Shaun Alexander didn't face 8 man fronts yesterday...LaDainian Tomlinson....Priest Holmes?? They face those same fronts...better yet, they face an entire defense keying on them every play. Yet they persevere!
We can do the same if our guys have established a mindset that they are going to run it well. As soon as you run scared because another team has lined up 8-9 in the box, that is when you lose.

Of course, but you are comparing oranges to apples. Seattle, San Diego, and Kansas City have offensive lines that are successful at run blocking. Our offensive line is not as physical as them. Not yet.

FinaticalOne said:
Of course, but you are comparing oranges to apples. Seattle, San Diego, and Kansas City have offensive lines that are successful at run blocking. Our offensive line is not as physical as them. Not yet.

True, but you can't get that way by NOT running can you??

ohall said:
I can buy 30-40, but I seriously doubt he has gained most of his rushing yards, or even a good portion of his ruhsing yards facing 8 or 9 man fronts.

You make a good point, about being able to run against the 8 or 9 man fronts, but I honestly feel no team, or HB can gain positive yards consistently against that kind of rush D.

Yes, and it greatly helps the running game when it has a Pro Bowl QB like Brees who can execute in the passing game thereby opening up the running lanes.

Back
Top Bottom