We lost because the coaches didn't run the football. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We lost because the coaches didn't run the football.

Jimmy James said:
I have to disagree with your inclusion of Holmes on this list. He has lost his edge. Johnson looks like the better back these days. Anyway, Thomas Jones is actually the #3 back in the NFL based on this year's statistics (following Tomlinson and Alexander).
Point taken about Holmes but in no way would I ever say that Thomas Jones is better than Priest. Holmes numbers are lower because of the presence of Johnson and to keep his workload down....because they can! That doesn't mean the Priest has lost his edge does it? The guy is still going to end up with 20 TD's and to me that is more important than having a 100 yds every game. Anyway I was just using these 3 guys to make my point of the other guys post, we dont need to get technical and actually break down the numbers!:)

ohall said:
I can buy 30-40, but I seriously doubt he has gained most of his rushing yards, or even a good portion of his ruhsing yards facing 8 or 9 man fronts.

You make a good point, about being able to run against the 8 or 9 man fronts, but I honestly feel no team, or HB can gain positive yards consistently against that kind of rush D.

I feel the same way...did you see the Chargers game? I caught the first half.

LT was stuffed early on...they were consistently stacking up to stop him. However the Chargers didn't switch to just throwing...they kept pounding LT and it worked.

Here is a bit of the play by play:

1-10-OAK38 (14:51) PENALTY on SD-E.Parker, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at OAK 38 - No Play.
1-15-OAK43 (14:51) D.Brees pass incomplete to L.Tomlinson (D.Clark).
2-15-OAK43 (14:47) L.Tomlinson right end to OAK 41 for 2 yards (F.Washington).
3-13-OAK41 (14:12) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete to L.Tomlinson.
4-13-OAK41 (14:08) M.Scifres punts 36 yards to OAK 5, Center-D.Binn, downed by SD-C.Hart.

:lol: sorta reminds you of us right??

Ok, next series:

1-10-SD30 (12:30) L.Tomlinson up the middle to SD 31 for 1 yard (T.Washington).
2-9-SD31 (11:47) D.Brees pass to J.Peelle pushed ob at SD 41 for 10 yards (C.Woodson).
1-10-SD41 (11:29) L.Tomlinson up the middle to SD 40 for -1 yards (K.Morrison).
2-11-SD40 (10:50) D.Brees pass to J.Peelle to SD 46 for 6 yards (K.Morrison).
3-5-SD46 (10:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete to E.Parker.
PENALTY on OAK-N.Asomugha, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at SD 46 - No Play.
1-10-OAK49 (10:09) L.Tomlinson left tackle to OAK 35 for 14 yards (S.Routt).
1-10-OAK35 (9:30) L.Tomlinson right guard to OAK 35 for no gain (D.Gibson).
2-10-OAK35 (8:50) D.Brees pass to L.Tomlinson for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
N.Kaeding extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Binn, Holder-M.Scifres.
----

Best run was for 14 yards, but notice how they stuck to it. Oakland was still stuffing the line. Chargers got good field position and stuck with the run even though it netted them negative yardage.

I feel Miami has to stick with it and remain balanced. We cannot win relying on the pass all the time.

I also agree with those mentioning the drive killing penalties...very hard to watch.

I like the offnesive plays, the reason they didn't run as much as you thought they should was becuase they were getting stuffed. The run blocking wasn't doing to well, 8 or 9 in the box, and the penalties. So many times, Miami would strat a good drive only to be 3rd and 15, 3rd and 13, 1st and 20, it takes away the chances of running the ball. Maybe surprising a Defense at 3rd and 10 might be fine sometimes, but not against the bucs run D, they have a good Run D. I like them passing the ball though, becuase Miami has the talent at the skill positions, the rbs, WR's and Randy McMichael.

Break down of our series in first half:

1st: we pass 5 and run 5. The run was working due to the reverses.

2nd: we pass 2 and run 1, then punt.

3rd: we pass 4 and run 4...still good balance

4th: we pass 3 times in a row...even pass on a 3rd and 2??!! WTF?

5th: we pass 2 and run 1

6th: 1 pass, 1 run

17 passes 12 runs.

End of half

With a total of 18 runs, that means we only ran the ball 6 times in the second half. :shakeno:

Superself said:
Break down of our series in first half:

1st: we pass 5 and run 5. The run was working due to the reverses.

2nd: we pass 2 and run 1, then punt.

3rd: we pass 4 and run 4...still good balance

4th: we pass 3 times in a row...even pass on a 3rd and 2??!! WTF?

5th: we pass 2 and run 1

6th: 1 pass, 1 run

17 passes 12 runs.

End of half

With a total of 18 runs, that means we only ran the ball 6 times in the second half. :shakeno:

I remember that third and 2. I was upset about that one too.

The problem here is you want balance for balance sake. I want balance were it makes sense. If we cant run the ball then try and throw it. At 2.1 ypc from R&R. I vote try and throw the ball.

If we run the ball another 7 time, to make 25 rushes, do we win the game or are we in even a significant better position to win the game? Please answer this question. Because I doubt we would be. I think we still lose this game.

The whole "where was the running game in the 2nd half?" blows me away. We were down 21 pionts going into the 4th quarter. You cant have any type of sustained running attack down 21 points in the 4th quarter. And right there is 1/2 of the 2nd half. So then it was we didn't run the ball in the 3rd quarter, against the number 1 defense in the nfl while our Oline was getting it's tale whooped.

Superself said:
It is that simple. Same reason why we lost last week.

It wasn't Gus's fault or anyone else's. It is ultimately Nick's fault for allowing Linehan to initiate an air attack all game long. That is our weakness. Our passing game is sporadic at best!

Establish the run with the two thoroughbreds you've got back there and everything else will fall into place.

If the gameplan is to throw the football then it's up to the QB to make plays. Gus didn't and that's one of the reasons why we lost. Not every game plan is going to be the same, the coaches saw a weakness in the passing D of Tampa and tried to take advantage. Receivers getting open wasn't the problem. If it was then you'd have a reason to be angry about the lack of running plays on Sunday.

mbmonk said:
The problem here is you want balance for balance sake. I want balance were it makes sense. If we cant run the ball then try and throw it. At 2.1 ypc from R&R. I vote try and throw the ball.

If we run the ball another 7 time, to make 25 rushes, do we win the game or are we in even a significant better position to win the game? Please answer this question. Because I doubt we would be. I think we still lose this game.

The whole "where was the running game in the 2nd half?" blows me away. We were down 21 pionts going into the 4th quarter. You cant have any type of sustained running attack down 21 points in the 4th quarter. And right there is 1/2 of the 2nd half. So then it was we didn't run the ball in the 3rd quarter, against the number 1 defense in the nfl while our Oline was getting it's tale whooped.

It blows you away?
:lol:
You still run the football. How else will the offensive line learn how toughen up? Keep passing, fumbling and taking sacks?? :shakeno:

Even if you are only getting like 1-2 yards per rush, you have to keep at it for it to pay big later on. Give up on it and you have taken half of your playbook and ripped it in half and ALSO made the defense's job that much easier!!

volk said:
I disagree. I think we lost because we *couldn't* run the ball. 2 yard runs aren't giving Linehan a good reason to keep it on the ground. The production on offense was poor enough that halfway through the 3rd quarter, the game was well out of reach unless we were able to put the ball in the air.

Opposing coaches are not stupid. Frerotte doesn't have the ability to carry the team on his shoulders, something being proven weekly. The old "stop the run and make them pass" defensive plan is extremely effective against the Dolphins, and our opposition knows it. When we can grab an early lead, we can run the ball. If we fall behind, we struggle to run, and we lose. This is true in every loss this year.

If we are to run, the defense must be sharp throughout the first quarter to give us a chance at an early lead, otherwise, expect more of the same gameplan, with the same results.

Good post, I agree.

DolphinsRising said:
If the gameplan is to throw the football then it's up to the QB to make plays. Gus didn't and that's one of the reasons why we lost. Not every game plan is going to be the same, the coaches saw a weakness in the passing D of Tampa and tried to take advantage. Receivers getting open wasn't the problem. If it was then you'd have a reason to be angry about the lack of running plays on Sunday.

Dumb gameplan then...which is still Saban's fault. Whether throwing, handing off, or whatever his gameplan should have involved his RBs moreso than any other players. Those are our damn strengths!!

Why let any team dictate to you that your strengths just are not good enough...you've conceded the win before you step onto the field in doing so!!

Superself said:
It blows you away?
:lol:
You still run the football. How else will the offensive line learn how toughen up?

Even if you are only getting like 1-2 yards per rush, you have to keep at it for it to pay big later on. Give up on it and you have taken half of your playbook and ripped it in half and ALSO made the defense's job that much easier!!

Ok answer the question then.

If we run the ball another 7 time, to make 25 rushes, do we win the game or are we in even a significant better position to win the game?

Oh I thought we played games to win them not 'toughen' up

Superself said:
Keep passing, fumbling and taking sacks?? :shakeno:
As opposed to running it, getting no yards, and have the clock melt away while we toughen up :shakeno:

mbmonk said:
Ok answer the question then.

If we run the ball another 7 time, to make 25 rushes, do we win the game or are we in even a significant better position to win the game?

Possibly yes. Instead of Gus fumbling the football, maybe he hands it off...we don't lose the football to the fumble there.

Maybe 1 out of those extra 7 runs, Ricky breaks free and scores...what an uplift that would have been. You cannot discount that.

Superself said:
It is that simple. Same reason why we lost last week.

It wasn't Gus's fault or anyone else's. It is ultimately Nick's fault for allowing Linehan to initiate an air attack all game long. That is our weakness. Our passing game is sporadic at best!

Establish the run with the two thoroughbreds you've got back there and everything else will fall into place.

If Gus hits Ronnie standing up and hits CC when he was wide open the game is completely different...You can't allow an air attack with a QB that has consistently proven he can't hit the longer balls.

I would have liked to have seen more runs, but it was clear that our OL wasn't able to open holes for either guy. When you don't have a run game or a pass game...what do you do...lose...It was Gus' fault if you look at the play calling...he had open recievers with time to throw the ball...he can't roll out and throw..those are his worse throws. Yes, it's very easy to lay the blame on Gus...does that mean that everyone else played at a PB level, no...but he could have hit one of his two opportunities that more than likely would have been TDs and it could have changed the complexion of the game...He could have been more on target on his shorter throws and out patterns...sprinkle in a few first downs on these off target throws and the game could have been different...

Superself said:
Possibly yes. Instead of Gus fumbling the football, maybe he hands it off...we don't lose the football to the fumble there.

Maybe 1 out of those extra 7 runs, Ricky breaks free and scores...what and uplift that would have been. You cannot discount that.

Possible doesn't mean it would happen. Again #1 defense in the NFL and our Oline playing like crap. You want to fault the coaches for not calling runs and you are pretty much admitting the OLine played like crap on run blocking AND pass blocking. But your blaming the coaches play calling. OK your logic is flawless there. :shakeno:

BTW it was possible chambers catches that pass. Possible the TE Diamond catches that deep pass instead of losing it in the sun. It's possible Gus played a little better. It's possible our Oline didnt play like crap for 4 quarters.
:rolleyes:

mbmonk said:
Possible doesn't mean it would happen. Again #1 defense in the NFL and our Oline playing like crap. You want to fault the coaches for not calling runs and you are pretty much admitting the OLine played like crap on run blocking AND pass blocking. But your blaming the coaches play calling. OK your logic is flawless there. :shakeno:

BTW it was possible chambers cathes that pass. Possible the TE Diamond catches that deep pass instead of losing it in the sun. It's possible Gus played a little better.
:rolleyes:

BTW, when gus fumbled.. on that play your making an issue of.... guess who didn't pick up the free man coming up the middle.... Ricky.

You are silly. You ask me to answer your question and I did. What do you want? I can't sit here and tell you that it would be a guarantee that Ricky would break one. You asked me what I thought was possible had we ran the ball more. I told you.

Back
Top Bottom