We lost because the coaches didn't run the football. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We lost because the coaches didn't run the football.

The Bucs are the best defense in the NFL, by far.

The Dolphins had the right gameplan... they just overthrew three sure TDs and had another called back because of penalty. Frerotte was horrid.

And, the coach turned into a moron again in managing the game and didn't have Mare try the 53-yarder in the second quarter.

They tried running the number of times they should have.

InWhiteTill4 said:
The Bucs are the best defense in the NFL, by far.

The Dolphins had the right gameplan... they just overthrew three sure TDs and had another called back because of penalty. Frerotte was horrid.

And, the coach turned into a moron again in managing the game and didn't have Mare try the 53-yarder in the second quarter.

They tried running the number of times they should have.

That makes no sense. You never let a team dictate how you run your offense...that is getting cute and trying to be a hero coach. You always utilize your strengths (2 top tier RBs) to win.

But like I said, I believe a more balanced attack would have allow us to come from behind.
Also, less penalties would help.

Superself said:
You are silly. You ask me to answer your question and I did. What do you want? I can't sit here and tell you that it would be a guarantee that Ricky would break one. You asked me what I thought was possible had we ran the ball more. I told you.

It was a question to spark further debate and thought. It wasn't an end all question.

Oline, Oline, Oline. 4 sacks and numerouse pressures and 2.1 ypc from R&R. But play calling is the issue?

EDIT:
I don't know why I am bothering to argue. It doesn't matter. Your not going to admit your wrong and I am not going to admit I am wrong. So don't bother responding.

Superself said:
That makes no sense. You never let a team dictate how you run your offense...
The f--- you don't.

You are constantly making adjustments to the gameplan during the season. Just not even up for a whisper of debate.

The Dolphins will run a balanced offense Sunday, again with a slight lean to the pass game.

Each running back gaining at least 80 yards rushing and receiving.

Superself said:
Dumb gameplan then...which is still Saban's fault. Whether throwing, handing off, or whatever his gameplan should have involved his RBs moreso than any other players. Those are our damn strengths!!

Why let any team dictate to you that your strengths just are not good enough...you've conceded the win before you step onto the field in doing so!!

:sidelol:

Ghetti13 said:
If we had Pittsburgh or Kansas City's offensive line then maybe I would completely blame Linehan, but we don't. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Out line is chicken ****.

Really? Well up until the 4th quarter the Bucs weren't doing much on the ground either. The difference is that they stayed committed to the run.
I was at the game and it was clear that the Bucs gameplan was to stop the run. The safeties were up close to the line of scrimmage. Big plays were there to be had in the first quarter, but we don't have a QB with the skill to punish a defense for "cheating" on the run.
There were receivers open all afternoon (that doesn't include the obvious overthrows). Gus was not under pressure the first 3 quarters because the Bucs were playing the run first.
If Gus is on target they could easily have had a 21-10 halftime lead. That would have changed the complexion of the game and would have put the pressure on Simms in the second half. In that scenario it would have been our defense pinning its ears back and coming after the QB. 3 of the Bucs sacks came in the last 5 minutes of the game. What does that tell you?
O-line WAS NOT the main problem yesterday.

We for lost for A LOT of reasons, abandoning the run game was just one of the MANY MANY MANY reasons why we lost Sunday. It all starts with PENALTIES, when you get 10+ penalties every single game you play (which has been the case so far), you're shooting yourself in the foot. You can't develop any type of rhythm whatsoever (especially on offense) and on Defense you're just hurting yourself because you give the other team even more opportunities. Some other things that are just absolutely killing us are turnovers and missing out on executing plays. Whether's it's a bad pass or the Wide Receiver dropping it... we're really helping the other team win and bailing them out. Take the deep pass to Chambers for instance... he was being covered by a LINEBACKER! Shelton Quarles, I believe. The pass wasn't even off target, Chambers should've just kept running his route straight and he would've and should've and... WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA caught it but he didn't and we missed out on a HUGE PLAY possibly even a touchdown. So yes, one of the reason why we lost is because we abandoned the running game, but that's not the only reason we lost. There's so many things we need to fix and improve on that are costing us games.

Linehan has trended away from the running game to a pantyhose passing game approach. I mentioned that as a concern here prior to the season, but was assured his 2004 numbers with the Vikings were simply a matter of personnel circumstance last year. In 2004 the Vikings plummeted in rushing attempts, to 387 -- or slightly more than 24 per game -- after being in the admirable and proper 30 attempt range in both 2002 and 2003.

This year's Miami numbers are hauntingly similar. We have 119 rushing attempts, virtually the same average as the 2004 Vikings, slightly more than 24 per game. Meanwhile, our opponents have 150 rushing attempts. That is losing football, folks. All the excuses are lovely. You can easily dismiss the 8-9 man in the box excuses with the raw numbers, that we are averaging more than 1 yard per rushing attempt MORE than our opponents, yet are running it 6 times less per game on average. The opponents, particularly when at home, have started the game running it at us, and stayed with it even if unsuccessful. Meanwhile, we fall behind and panic. I'm charting the games in disgust, as Gus will have 10 or 12 pass attempts before Ronnie gets it 3 or 4 times. I guess Linehan counts the cutesy reverses as rushing attempts, which is even more pathetic.

Awsi Dooger said:
Linehan has trended away from the running game to a pantyhose passing game approach. I mentioned that as a concern here prior to the season, but was assured his 2004 numbers with the Vikings were simply a matter of personnel circumstance last year. In 2004 the Vikings plummeted in rushing attempts, to 387 -- or slightly more than 24 per game -- after being in the admirable and proper 30 attempt range in both 2002 and 2003.

This year's Miami numbers are hauntingly similar. We have 119 rushing attempts, virtually the same average as the 2004 Vikings, slightly more than 24 per game. Meanwhile, our opponents have 150 rushing attempts. That is losing football, folks. All the excuses are lovely. You can easily dismiss the 8-9 man in the box excuses with the raw numbers, that we are averaging more than 1 yard per rushing attempt MORE than our opponents, yet are running it 6 times less per game on average. The opponents, particularly when at home, have started the game running it at us, and stayed with it even if unsuccessful. Meanwhile, we fall behind and panic. I'm charting the games in disgust, as Gus will have 10 or 12 pass attempts before Ronnie gets it 3 or 4 times. I guess Linehan counts the cutesy reverses as rushing attempts, which is even more pathetic.

Good Post! :)

Linehan is overrated as far as some of the hype, though he is a huge upgrade over the previous regime. The only reason I believe he is overrated is there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to his play selection. He has a love affair with the pass that overshadows the fact that there are times when you simply have to run. He never seems to gameplan to exploit the other teams weaknesses, unless the other defense's weakness happens to be the secondary. And even then he doesnt do it effectively. Tampa was a perfect example. They played a one saftey defense for a large part of the game stacking the box to stop the run. We should have been passing straight down the middle of the field all game long like the Gus to Chambers pass that almost hit. Instead 80% of the passes were to the sidelines or the flats where Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly play. Why are you attacking Barber and Kelly, their best dbacks, when you could go after will allen, dexter jackson and Jermaine Phillips?

On the positive side he's very innovative with his play selection but he just needs to get a better grasp on establishing offensive flow and exploiting other teams weaknesses.

There is talk that he's in line to replace Tice in Minny. I personally wouldn't mind him staying but at the same time wouldn't mind seeing him leave

Superself said:
It is that simple. Same reason why we lost last week.

It wasn't Gus's fault or anyone else's. It is ultimately Nick's fault for allowing Linehan to initiate an air attack all game long. That is our weakness. Our passing game is sporadic at best!

Establish the run with the two thoroughbreds you've got back there and everything else will fall into place.

I agree that you have to run more but it was definetly Gus's fault for not making the plays that were there to be made. Do you think any descent QB would've missed all those open receivers?

Awsi Dooger said:

Excellent post. It seems we all see this but he is getting a free pass in the press and with the coach. This BS has to stop. The strength of our team is the Running game. We need to pound the rock. I hope he is gone next year and takes over Minny as HC. With the backfield we have now even Wanny would gain yards by default with his run run run punt philosophy.

guido13 said:
Excellent post. It seems we all see this but he is getting a free pass in the press and with the coach. This BS has to stop. The strength of our team is the Running game. We need to pound the rock. I hope he is gone next year and takes over Minny as HC. With the backfield we have now even Wanny would gain yards by default with his run run run punt philosophy.

Gee i thought at the beginning of the season everyone was happy to be a passing team?!:confused:

Canadianfishfan said:
Gee i thought at the beginning of the season everyone was happy to be a passing team?!:confused:

You don't draft a RB #2 overall to pass all day long. At some point, you have to pound it. We are not asking that we run the ball 35 times a game. Only keep it balanced please!

They scored on their first 2 drives !!!

Doesn't that mean anything to anyone? That's why we lost the game. We didn't run much because we were playing from behind, we were playing from behind because they scored on their first 2 drives. They weren't gunna let us run anyway, the way Gus was playing there was no reason NOT to play the run. As long as we have an inconsistent QB, teams are gunna make him beat them. Gus, Jay, & AJ are not the types of QBs to WIN games.

Back
Top Bottom