We Need a Deep Threat @ WR | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We Need a Deep Threat @ WR

the question I have is this;
this year, will our offensive line give our QB enough time to allow deep patterns to develop ?

Putting the Feeley debate aside. I was just wondering who you guys think could have played QB last year behind our OL with no RB and thrown the long balls your speaking of. Christ, we were lucky to have enough time to get the short throws off. If the OL doesn't improve significantly you can forget about going deep no matter who ends up being our QB. Chambers has the speed to get deep and Gilmore is an X track man who is very fast. I can see us picking up a reliable vet. WR at some point in this pre season.Got a feeling one will be released at some point.

I can't even belive people are aguing about this. Chris Chambers is the definition of a deep threat. He has excellent accelleration, and speed (he tied Vick as the two fastest players at his combine), great leaping ability and long arms. If you have ever seen them thorw him a deep ball he gets great seperation, but the problem is Jay Fiedler never had the arm strength to get him the ball deep. That is one of the main reasons Chambers hasn't broke out yet, because he is a deep threat and the Dolphins have never run that kind of an offense. He is not really much of a slot reciever either. He has lined up in the slot before, but that was only because we really didn't have anyone else who could do it and Wanny is a moron. And the reason he slipped to the second round was he played in a run-style offense at Wisconson. But even still he was projected to go in the first round. The one play that should provide evidence is last year against Baltimore when on the first play he went deep and had so much seperation that he was able to come back to the underthrown ball. If you don't think Chambers is a deep threat then you don't know football.

perezferia said:
We need a deep threat and it's NOT Chambers. If Chambers' had deep threat speed he would've never lasted into the second round. He's quick, and in my opinion a natural slot receiver, but not a flyer. He's to big and lanky. Booker is a natural possesion receiver.

We need a 4.3 or 4.4 guy to stretch the Defense. That's why I thought so highly of Mark Clayton who went to the Ravens, here's a guy that will drive opposing defenses crazy.

Having said that, speed is a really hard thing to find out there. Whether it's AZ HAKIM or DAVID BOSTON or some other JUNE 1st cut, we REALLY need to address this point. Because speed is something that you cannot cover man to man, and Chambers was blanketed by many corners man to man and became invisible in many, many games. It's asking too much of the man, who is in my opinion a great player.

In 3 wide sets put him in the slot, leave McMichael in as well as Ronnie Brown. As long as the Speed guy flies through on a go or a post the Safety WILL HAVE TO help, regardless of man or zone coverage. That will create space for draws and screens and quick passes to the TE up the middle as the LB's back up. It's really important. If not every one on the Defense just mans up and Feeley has to make perfect throws into traffic. That's not good planning. The idea is to OUT-SCHEME the defense by giving them too many options to cover all at once. Then, of course, we have to have a QB that can recognize in a split second what the Defense is taking away and deliver the ball on time to the guy that's gonna be left in single coverage.

Do we have that guy on our roster right now?

Your guess is as good as mine. But I do know this: Without a new reciever making safeties nervous out there Linehan's system is as doomed to failure as whatever QB wins the starting job. The QB needs the proper tools to be successful.

A speed WR is a must. And not just one, several for backups as well.

he is a deep threat, the reason he got picked in the 2nd is because wisconsin was a running team, bryan gilmore last season was the fastest man on the team, he is still here so he is still the fastest

Yeah, but you need two legit deep threats...Minny got nowhere with just Moss...and I realize it had a lot to do with their defense...but whether it's Gilmore, Huggins, Hakim, or Boston, we need to get someone to come in and step up.

Jnaledu3 said:
I agree. But Sage can get the ball downfield better than Feeley can.

One game, and the team wasnt expecting it....:shakeno:

Fins 34 said:
Are those Chambers' numbers from when he was a rookie or are they recent? Hee seems to have bulked up quite abit over the past few years. This could have slowed him down a full second or two.

The Gilmore notes are promising though. The kid could be the next big thing, and leave it Wanny to not see it.:roflmao:

A FULL SECOND?! a tenth maybe

Originally Posted by perezferia
We need a deep threat and it's NOT Chambers. If Chambers' had deep threat speed he would've never lasted into the second round. He's quick, and in my opinion a natural slot receiver, but not a flyer. He's to big and lanky. Booker is a natural possesion receiver.

We need a 4.3 or 4.4 guy to stretch the Defense. That's why I thought so highly of Mark Clayton who went to the Ravens, here's a guy that will drive opposing defenses crazy.

Having said that, speed is a really hard thing to find out there. Whether it's AZ HAKIM or DAVID BOSTON or some other JUNE 1st cut, we REALLY need to address this point. Because speed is something that you cannot cover man to man, and Chambers was blanketed by many corners man to man and became invisible in many, many games. It's asking too much of the man, who is in my opinion a great player.

In 3 wide sets put him in the slot, leave McMichael in as well as Ronnie Brown. As long as the Speed guy flies through on a go or a post the Safety WILL HAVE TO help, regardless of man or zone coverage. That will create space for draws and screens and quick passes to the TE up the middle as the LB's back up. It's really important. If not every one on the Defense just mans up and Feeley has to make perfect throws into traffic. That's not good planning. The idea is to OUT-SCHEME the defense by giving them too many options to cover all at once. Then, of course, we have to have a QB that can recognize in a split second what the Defense is taking away and deliver the ball on time to the guy that's gonna be left in single coverage.

Do we have that guy on our roster right now?

Your guess is as good as mine. But I do know this: Without a new reciever making safeties nervous out there Linehan's system is as doomed to failure as whatever QB wins the starting job. The QB needs the proper tools to be successful.

A speed WR is a must. And not just one, several for backups as well.

He is a 4.3-4.4 guy........

Chambers is our deep threat. We haven't had a QB or offensive coordinator that could use him effectively. Az Hakim is not a deep threat.

If Chambers was a deep threat he wouldn't have lasted until the second?? That's nonsense, if Brady was such a good QB he wouldn't have lasted until the 6th. Sounds stupid doesn't it? Well that's how you sound.

perezferia said:
Oh come on... Now CHAMBERS isn't lanky? Do you know what that word means? It has nothing to do with height, it has to do with the proportion of your height to the LENGTH of your limbs!

Chambers has REALLY LONG LIMBS. That makes him LANKY by definition.

He's a quick guy and has INCREDIBLE body control. Plus, the heart of a lion.

Now, let's get that SPEED BURNER to come in here and take the pressure off him having to suddenly play as fast as he ran at the combine a few years back.
According to www.dictionary.com :
lank·y ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (l
clear.gif
ng
clear.gif
k
clear.gif
)
adj. lank·i·er, lank·i·est Tall, thin, and ungainly. See Synonyms at lean[size=-1]2[/size].

I don't know about that, I'd say he's lean.

popularwar said:
According to www.dictionary.com :
lank·y ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (l
clear.gif
ng
clear.gif
k
clear.gif
)
adj. lank·i·er, lank·i·est Tall, thin, and ungainly. See Synonyms at lean[size=-1]2[/size].

I don't know about that, I'd say he's lean.

:roflmao: nice

5'11" doesnt seem to tall to me

WharfRat said:
ummm...you said we need a 4.3-4.4 guy as our "speed burner"... yet "lanky" Chambers runs a 4.39.

:hmmm:

RAN a 4.39. The word here is RAN. He's a much bigger man now and he certainly isn't running 4.39 out there in pads. He's quick, but he's not the speed guy we need.

Now, are you just hardheaded? Why would the coach be looking for a speed guy if I WASN'T right about this?

Jesus, you people with youropinions based on combine numbers...

Didd you SEE Chambers consistantly behind many CB's out there?

How many bombs was he open for, one?

It really makes me mad when you argue numbers but the reality is staring you right in the face!

HE'S NOT THE GUY THAT WILL STRETCH THE DEFENSE!!

He's the guy that will make it go.

Now go learn something about football other than what you read at the combine and pay atention when we play a defense and see how they play Chambers.

Even in man the guy CAN'T GET OPEN. And that's a speed thing.

However, put him in the slot and QUICKNESS thing he's got will get him open every time.

Listen to me, I'm right.

perezferia said:
RAN a 4.39. The word here is RAN. He's a much bigger man now and he certainly isn't running 4.39 out there in pads. He's quick, but he's not the speed guy we need.

Now, are you just hardheaded? Why would the coach be looking for a speed guy if I WASN'T right about this?

Jesus, you people with youropinions based on combine numbers...

Didd you SEE Chambers consistantly behind many CB's out there?

How many bombs was he open for, one?

It really makes me mad when you argue numbers but the reality is staring you right in the face!

HE'S NOT THE GUY THAT WILL STRETCH THE DEFENSE!!

He's the guy that will make it go.

Now go learn something about football other than what you read at the combine and pay atention when we play a defense and see how they play Chambers.

Even in man the guy CAN'T GET OPEN. And that's a speed thing.

However, put him in the slot and QUICKNESS thing he's got will get him open every time.

Listen to me, I'm right.

Okay, didn't Mark Clayton who you were so in love with run his 4.4 WITHOUT PADS. No one runs that in pads, I don't see your argument there. The fact is he is FAST.

Did I see Chambers behind DB's last year? YES, he gets great seperation, ask Mario Edwards, he'll be around this summer.

Getting open is a speed thing? Absolutly not, getting open is about route running and your ability to make the defender not know where your going. Jerry Rice was a 4.5 guy and he got open, along with many many otheres. I don't know where your getting that from.

The slot is a great place for a deep threat, they get to play off he ball, not be pressed by a DB, and find mismatches with safties or lbs that he wouldn't get on the outside. I don't understand why saying he is good in the slot takes away from his ability as a deep threat.

You're the only one here who thinks your opinion is right, and to attack us and say we don't know football? I think your loosing this argument my man.

Back
Top Bottom