We Need a Deep Threat @ WR | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We Need a Deep Threat @ WR

perezferia said:
RAN a 4.39. The word here is RAN. He's a much bigger man now and he certainly isn't running 4.39 out there in pads. He's quick, but he's not the speed guy we need.

Now, are you just hardheaded? Why would the coach be looking for a speed guy if I WASN'T right about this?

Jesus, you people with youropinions based on combine numbers...

Didd you SEE Chambers consistantly behind many CB's out there?

How many bombs was he open for, one?

It really makes me mad when you argue numbers but the reality is staring you right in the face!

HE'S NOT THE GUY THAT WILL STRETCH THE DEFENSE!!

He's the guy that will make it go.

Now go learn something about football other than what you read at the combine and pay atention when we play a defense and see how they play Chambers.

Even in man the guy CAN'T GET OPEN. And that's a speed thing.

However, put him in the slot and QUICKNESS thing he's got will get him open every time.

Listen to me, I'm right.

Apparently, you don't actually watch the games. Chambers has consistently been open deep since the first day he stepped on the field. In fact, I've never seen a team that's been able to cover him deep. But, for the first 3.5 years that Chambers was here, we had this guy at QB named Jay Fiedler. Now, this guy's arm was so weak that teams played what's called a "void zone" against him. That means that if the Dolphins had the ball on the left hash, the defense wouldn't bother covering outside the right hash, because they knew he couldn't throw the ball that far. That is why Chambers has not been able to catch a lot of deep passes.

And actually, Saban said he wanted "a vertical receiver or a slot receiver," so he didn't specifically say he was looking for a speed guy.

chambers can be our deep threat and if we keep thompson he will have more presence in the middle of the field. i think he gets better every game

i think thompson and booker can be efficient

dolfanattic5 said:
chambers can be our deep threat and if we keep thompson he will have more presence in the middle of the field. i think he gets better every game

I disagree very strongly about Thompson. In his 2 years here, he has shown no speed, no ability to get separation from defenders, and very inconsistent hands. I think we have a need for another guy to stretch the D and another guy who can work the slot.

dolfanmark said:
I disagree very strongly about Thompson. In his 2 years here, he has shown no speed, no ability to get separation from defenders, and very inconsistent hands. I think we have a need for another guy to stretch the D and another guy who can work the slot.

i like Derrius he is a good slot Wr not starter, he can be good in tight situations when u need big first downs or TDS. But as for you people saying Chmabers is not a deep threat, quiet, he is a deep threat but when u have Fiedler throwing you the ball most of your career your gonna get many good vertical passes.

I agree we need more than 1 deep threat receiver.

FinsAreLife said:
chambers has the ability its just that we need more than one home run hitter

Which is one of the reasons why I felt we should have grabbed Roscoe Parrish or one of the other speedy/quick receivers after taking Ronnie Brown.

Or take Edwards in the first and one of the better second tier running backs in the second or third round.

If we can pick up AZ-Hakim or Boston and they don't get hurt, we'll be in very good shape.

Definately need another speed/quick receiver.

perezferia said:
We need a deep threat and it's NOT Chambers. If Chambers' had deep threat speed he would've never lasted into the second round. He's quick, and in my opinion a natural slot receiver, but not a flyer. He's to big and lanky. Booker is a natural possesion receiver.

We need a 4.3 or 4.4 guy to stretch the Defense. That's why I thought so highly of Mark Clayton who went to the Ravens, here's a guy that will drive opposing defenses crazy.

Having said that, speed is a really hard thing to find out there. Whether it's AZ HAKIM or DAVID BOSTON or some other JUNE 1st cut, we REALLY need to address this point. Because speed is something that you cannot cover man to man, and Chambers was blanketed by many corners man to man and became invisible in many, many games. It's asking too much of the man, who is in my opinion a great player.

In 3 wide sets put him in the slot, leave McMichael in as well as Ronnie Brown. As long as the Speed guy flies through on a go or a post the Safety WILL HAVE TO help, regardless of man or zone coverage. That will create space for draws and screens and quick passes to the TE up the middle as the LB's back up. It's really important. If not every one on the Defense just mans up and Feeley has to make perfect throws into traffic. That's not good planning. The idea is to OUT-SCHEME the defense by giving them too many options to cover all at once. Then, of course, we have to have a QB that can recognize in a split second what the Defense is taking away and deliver the ball on time to the guy that's gonna be left in single coverage.

Do we have that guy on our roster right now?

Your guess is as good as mine. But I do know this: Without a new reciever making safeties nervous out there Linehan's system is as doomed to failure as whatever QB wins the starting job. The QB needs the proper tools to be successful.

A speed WR is a must. And not just one, several for backups as well.

I remember when Norv Turner took over and everybody got excited in the beginning. After a few preseason games and teams figured his scheme that was the end of that. We need more than 1 outstanding wide receiver on the team, and the same can be said for the running back position.

perezferia said:
We need a deep threat and it's NOT Chambers. If Chambers' had deep threat speed he would've never lasted into the second round. He's quick, and in my opinion a natural slot receiver, but not a flyer. He's to big and lanky. Booker is a natural possesion receiver.

We need a 4.3 or 4.4 guy to stretch the Defense. That's why I thought so highly of Mark Clayton who went to the Ravens, here's a guy that will drive opposing defenses crazy.

Having said that, speed is a really hard thing to find out there. Whether it's AZ HAKIM or DAVID BOSTON or some other JUNE 1st cut, we REALLY need to address this point. Because speed is something that you cannot cover man to man, and Chambers was blanketed by many corners man to man and became invisible in many, many games. It's asking too much of the man, who is in my opinion a great player.

In 3 wide sets put him in the slot, leave McMichael in as well as Ronnie Brown. As long as the Speed guy flies through on a go or a post the Safety WILL HAVE TO help, regardless of man or zone coverage. That will create space for draws and screens and quick passes to the TE up the middle as the LB's back up. It's really important. If not every one on the Defense just mans up and Feeley has to make perfect throws into traffic. That's not good planning. The idea is to OUT-SCHEME the defense by giving them too many options to cover all at once. Then, of course, we have to have a QB that can recognize in a split second what the Defense is taking away and deliver the ball on time to the guy that's gonna be left in single coverage.

Do we have that guy on our roster right now?

Your guess is as good as mine. But I do know this: Without a new reciever making safeties nervous out there Linehan's system is as doomed to failure as whatever QB wins the starting job. The QB needs the proper tools to be successful.

A speed WR is a must. And not just one, several for backups as well.

You are on CRACK..I don't even think you really believe what's your saying..And where do you suppose we just find these speedy WR's? I mean, there's plenty of them just laying around hunh!!

Don't worry when our OL is able to block for the QB longer than 1.2 seconds we will be able to go deep with that we have. Plus Ronnie Brown won't hurt in this area. :wink:

CRAZYDOLFAN305 said:
You are on CRACK..I don't even think you really believe what's your saying..And where do you suppose we just find these speedy WR's? I mean, there's plenty of them just laying around hunh!!

We could have had Randy Moss here last year and because of the poor coaching that ruined our OL play he would not have caught many deep passes.

chris chambers is the man he is going to strive in this offence and i really think we are going to see a diffrent aj. he has all the tools if he was that bad we would have taken rodgers at #2 overall but i belive with better coaching aj can take us far in the playoffs and even the big dance. dolphins rule!!!!!!!!

Jnaledu3 said:
I agree. But Sage can get the ball downfield better than Feeley can.

You determined that after seeing him play in one game? If I recall his only deep ball was the first play of the game. He missed on several other deep balls later in that same game.

Back
Top Bottom