We need to extend Ireland before it's too late! | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need to extend Ireland before it's too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only on finheaven.com can you see stuff like this. 4 losing seasons in a row and now this? How bout we win some games before worrying about anything else.

u mean 7-9 not winning. i mean we would all complain just the same if we won a superbowl lol. never heard such rubbish. its only been 4 decades since we won a superbowl

Spesh I for one believe that last years team could have easily had 2 more wins last year if Brandon Marshal and Vonte Davis had been on the team thus negating this longest loosing season argument but that's just my opinion of course. Those two players we aquired to play for Tony Sporano and are 2 very talented guys but it was apparent that Philbin did not want them on his team. When you churn a roster which usually happens when a new coach or GM hits town that's the type of results that you get. We have been getting those same results since the fans ran Shula out of town. Again it is just my opinion but other than Marinio the Miami roster we had in the 90's was less talented than the roster we have today. Shula's coaching just covered that up. It is no coincidence that Kacy Rogers unit which is the defensive line and Rizzi unit which is special teams are the better performing units on this team by far. There are college free agents and lower round draft picks on both units telling me we have position coaches that know how to develop talent which is also telling me we may possibly have the wrong position coaches on out other units. Since this is only Philbins second year along with all the other coaches outside of Rizzi and Rogers we will not really know until the end of this year. Sherman makes me nervous as a coach for example when you consider he got fired from Texas A & M just last year for not winning enough games and his QB was Ryann Tannahill. That same Texas A&M played very much better last year after his departure basically proving it was not a talent issue that they were loosing when Sherman was coach. Logically why would you expect a guy would start coaching better at the NFL level compared to the college level. Saban couldn't do it and he is the best at the current college level. Lets hope I am wrong on this one. Carrying it one step further we now know after watching Tony Sporano perform with the Jets that he was the wrong coach for the Dolphins. And do not tell me that Ireland hired Tony Sporano because it is clear that Parcells did.
That has been my contention that we have had a coaching issue for sure these past 4 years prior to Philbin and may still have one possibly and this year should tell us.
Can we improve on Irlenad sure I agree with you there, any person tied to the Dolphins could be improved on wether it be the owner, GM, player.
I just believe Ireland is getting better at this job and therefore am comfortable with gambling on a ascending guy who has not hit his ceiling yet but that is just me. Still if you want to trot out a Ozzie Newsome who is a proven winner then just like the team might do with a proven player and having the opportunity to aquire a talented proven player you jettison your man for the new more talented one.

beat the worst team in the NFL in preseason and Jeff Ireland is all of a sudden a hot commodity that may get swooped up by a superior organization. This forum. I'm sure the league is well aware of who Jeff Ireland really is, which is somebody that nobody will be beating the door down to have running their team.

beat the worst team in the NFL in preseason and Jeff Ireland is all of a sudden a hot commodity that may get swooped up by a superior organization. This forum. I'm sure the league is well aware of who Jeff Ireland really is, which is somebody that nobody will be beating the door down to have running their team.

the worst post on this was how the pats are drooling to get him. reminds me of how ne was waiting on ronnie brown lol

Only on finheaven.com can you see stuff like this. 4 losing seasons in a row and now this? How bout we win some games before worrying about anything else.

No kidding, from Fireland to Hireland. Too funny. There would be no reason to do anything with Ireland at this time. Further, why would you. There is much to be seen about his moves this offseason...it was far from perfect. Exciting, sure..a sure thing, no way.

Here is a fact for you.

If we extend Ireland, bring in Dan Reeves as HC, and put the dirt back on the field.....................

SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!

Okay the OP was way over the top in my opinion; however, I've been saying for awhile now that Parcells is probably the person who was in the way this whole time. He was stuck in the 80s way of building a team with slower, plowing lineman. The game passed him by and it showed. Ever since Parcells left, the drafts have been better.

He has a lot more to prove, but I'm feeling optimistic about him now which is high praise considering what I've said about him in the past. If the WRs end up being electric this year, I'll apologize for cursing him out and yelling at my TV during the draft.

Heck, I'll even start a "Sorry for not belieiving in you" thread. :chuckle:

Here is a fact for you.

If we extend Ireland, bring in Dan Reeves as HC, and put the dirt back on the field.....................

SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!

Lol Reeves? I don't get it.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

the worst post on this was how the pats are drooling to get him. reminds me of how ne was waiting on ronnie brown lol

I thought the Pats would've scooped him up. Ronnie was a good all around RB. If only he could've stayed healthy.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Teams will beat anyone's door down if they prove to be a winner.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

college level examination program
its actually an acronym

lol

I agree. Look at what Jeff Ireland has done for us. He becomes GM in January 2008 and we go 11-5 that year. Okay, he didn't really make much of a mark on that team since it was almost entirely built before he got there, but moving forward we're sure to see why it's important to lock up Ireland for the long haul.

The 2009 season we go 7-9. But you can't really blame Ireland because Parcells and Sparano are really running things. Ireland is just there 'cause he's pretty.
The 2010 season we go 7-9 again. But it's still Parcells and Sparano so Ireland gets a pass. He's still pretty.
Come 2011 we're free of Parcells and we go 6-10. But now Ireland gets to work his magic.
For the 2012 season, we have a new head coach and we go 7-9. That was a special season.

So of course Ireland should get an extension. He took us from 11-5 to 7-9. Because of Ireland's leadership, we've enjoyed some really good seasons. The KC Chiefs wish they could do what we do!!!! And this season we're definitely going to the Super Bowl or, at the very worst, deep into the playoffs. It doesn't matter that our starters didn't look very good in the HOF game against Dallas, an 8-8 team from last year. It's only a preseason game; it means nothing. We should be focusing on how we did against Jacksonville, a 2-14 team. We dominated in that game!!! It means everything!!! We're going to start the season 6-0 or maybe 5-1 if we have some injuries. We can't miss!!! THANK YOU JEFF IRELAND!!!

FH2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Look at what Jeff Ireland has done for us. He becomes GM in January 2008 and we go 11-5 that year. Okay, he didn't really make much of a mark on that team since it was almost entirely built before he got there, but moving forward we're sure to see why it's important to lock up Ireland for the long haul.

The 2009 season we go 7-9. But you can't really blame Ireland because Parcells and Sparano are really running things. Ireland is just there 'cause he's pretty.
The 2010 season we go 7-9 again. But it's still Parcells and Sparano so Ireland gets a pass. He's still pretty.
Come 2011 we're free of Parcells and we go 6-10. But now Ireland gets to work his magic.
For the 2012 season, we have a new head coach and we go 7-9. That was a special season.

So of course Ireland should get an extension. He took us from 11-5 to 7-9. Because of Ireland's leadership, we've enjoyed some really good seasons. The KC Chiefs wish they could do what we do!!!! And this season we're definitely going to the Super Bowl or, at the very worst, deep into the playoffs. It doesn't matter that our starters didn't look very good in the HOF game against Dallas, an 8-8 team from last year. It's only a preseason game; it means nothing. We should be focusing on how we did against Jacksonville, a 2-14 team. We dominated in that game!!! It means everything!!! We're going to start the season 6-0 or maybe 5-1 if we have some injuries. We can't miss!!! THANK YOU JEFF IRELAND!!!

pretty funny.

I would not extend him at all. I do not think Jeff goes anywhere, anytime soon. If the season does not work out, I would give Joe the keys to go find a personnel man he would want to work with. Maybe he stays in house and goes with with Brian Gaine. If the season works out, than I would see if I could retain him.

In other words, I would double down on Joe Philbin if the season does not go well this year.

I would not extend him at all. I do not think Jeff goes anywhere, anytime soon. If the season does not work out, I would give Joe the keys to go find a personnel man he would want to work with. Maybe he stays in house and goes with with Brian Gaine. If the season works out, than I would see if I could retain him.

In other words, I would double down on Joe Philbin if the season does not go well this year.

i see no reason to let philben pick a gm hire shula as a consultant as well as peterson and make a choice.

People on this board will forever hate the guy and that's cute and all, but I look at this from a performance standpoint and Jeff has done a great job the past 3 drafts/offseasons. This draft might be his best of all, but we can't rate it just yet. If this draft is as good as the past 3 then we're set for years to come. He's assembled a good young hungry group at Qb, Wr, Te, Rb, Ol, Dl, Db, Lb, K and P.

I think he should get a contract deserving of his performance, which is pretty damn good.

And Ireland's fate can really be tied to 1 player. Ryan Tannehill. If Ryan does not take that step forward then Ireland has a ticket out of Miami. No doubt Ross wants Tannehill to become an elite QB. I am hoping for that but we may have to settle with him being a good QB which to me isn't enough for a high 1st round pick.

Can someone explain to me how it is that if Tannehill is only a "good QB" then it is not "enough for a high 1st round pick" and yet it is ok for Dion Jordan who was picked with an even higher 1st round pick to be only a situational 3rd down player? Can we at least have some modicum of consistency when trying to explain/evaluate/justify/excuse Ireland's history with the draft???

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

He's not going anywhere if Ross doesn't want him to.

And I repeat my statement: there is a total disconnect between accountability for results and executive pay and retention policies in the Dolphins front office.

With all the money that has been spent this past off season, the expectations having heightened for the 2013 season. It's expected that enough pieces were brought in to make the team better and make a possible playoff push. If the team wins or at least goes 8-8, I think there is a fair chance Ireland gets extended. If they somehow make the playoffs, I think he's a safe bet to get an extension. The worst case is being improved on the field and still not having a winning record; in which case I think, it's a very high probability Ross put's Ireland under very close scrutiny and eventually tries to replace him. I get the feeling Ireland is Ross's guy and will keep his GM job with Miami. These last 2 seasons working with Philbin and staff Ireland seems to have made a 360 degree turnaround. With the exception of Egnew the last 2 drafts seem to be rock solid. It's a toss up with Ross and Ireland's history perhaps being a clouded judgement situation with regards to Ross not pulling the plug on Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom