We need to extend Ireland before it's too late! | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need to extend Ireland before it's too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year was fireland now it hireland. Phin's fans have some short memories.

He's yet to accomplish a playoff victory and the appearances since he's been assembling our roster are "1". Why does anyone think amassing some free agents when we had a lot of money to spend equates to him suddenly being a hot commodity? His resume reads like a "D" so far - possibly and "F" if you base it on wins and losses.

But their love of mediocrity never seems to wane.

clear.gif

Who was the longest tenured Dolphin GM before we started on this "Lets make that ball boy our GM" experiment? Shula was longest serving one I guess, is Ireland already in second?

Spesh I for one believe that last years team could have easily had 2 more wins last year if Brandon Marshal and Vonte Davis had been on the team thus negating this longest loosing season argument but that's just my opinion of course. Those two players we aquired to play for Tony Sporano and are 2 very talented guys but it was apparent that Philbin did not want them on his team. When you churn a roster which usually happens when a new coach or GM hits town that's the type of results that you get. We have been getting those same results since the fans ran Shula out of town. Again it is just my opinion but other than Marinio the Miami roster we had in the 90's was less talented than the roster we have today. Shula's coaching just covered that up. It is no coincidence that Kacy Rogers unit which is the defensive line and Rizzi unit which is special teams are the better performing units on this team by far. There are college free agents and lower round draft picks on both units telling me we have position coaches that know how to develop talent which is also telling me we may possibly have the wrong position coaches on out other units. Since this is only Philbins second year along with all the other coaches outside of Rizzi and Rogers we will not really know until the end of this year. Sherman makes me nervous as a coach for example when you consider he got fired from Texas A & M just last year for not winning enough games and his QB was Ryann Tannahill. That same Texas A&M played very much better last year after his departure basically proving it was not a talent issue that they were loosing when Sherman was coach. Logically why would you expect a guy would start coaching better at the NFL level compared to the college level. Saban couldn't do it and he is the best at the current college level. Lets hope I am wrong on this one. Carrying it one step further we now know after watching Tony Sporano perform with the Jets that he was the wrong coach for the Dolphins. And do not tell me that Ireland hired Tony Sporano because it is clear that Parcells did.
That has been my contention that we have had a coaching issue for sure these past 4 years prior to Philbin and may still have one possibly and this year should tell us.
Can we improve on Irlenad sure I agree with you there, any person tied to the Dolphins could be improved on wether it be the owner, GM, player.
I just believe Ireland is getting better at this job and therefore am comfortable with gambling on a ascending guy who has not hit his ceiling yet but that is just me. Still if you want to trot out a Ozzie Newsome who is a proven winner then just like the team might do with a proven player and having the opportunity to aquire a talented proven player you jettison your man for the new more talented one.

You are what your record says you are. One way or another, Ireland screwed the pooch with Marshall and Davis. If Philbin didnt like them but Ireland thought they could help us win games, he could have vetoed Philbin, he has that power. So Ireland owns that worst stretch in Dolphins history. Through his inactions and actions, we lost games.

Multiple times ive listed the players Ireland collected for Sparano. Ive compared their careers since they left this team. Pretty much none succeeded. Thats on Ireland. If no coach in the league can get success out of them, then they are just crap players.

Yeah, i dont buy the "hes getting better" argument. Again, we can find potential general managers whose floor is Irelands ceiling. We can find potential general managers ready to flourish in a single year, not one that has to have half a decade of experience before becoming merely competent. As well, if this is Ireland fulfilling his potential, then im not overly impressed. Trading former first rounders for second round picks, David Garrard, passing on receivers for offensive lineman in the draft, Ochocinco, whatever the hell happened in the third round this past draft, etc. Not impressed. Imagine how good our general manager could be in 5 years if our rookie GM was as good as Ireland is now? The league has proven those hires are there. They are no longer uncommon, as the Rams and Colts have shown. So, if "experience" and "getting better" is the argument, we cant afford to not fire Ireland.

It is amazing how people forget the other bad years he has had as a GM. But one good offseason and everyone wants him back.

:lol::lol::lol: My goodness, if you haven't figured out the point of this thread by now...you need to get your swag back.

**** the haters, Ireland is here to stay, and he will be the one with the GM title when we when our next Super Bowl. Holla!!

Wait,wait a moment. I have been an Ireland supporter for years now. I remember everyone talking bad about him and now everyone is on the Ireland bandwagon? Yes he has made mistakes with drafts but so has everyone. People forget he brought in Wake, Marshall and Dansby. He drafted good players too. People want all his signings and drafts to be spot on. It doesn't work that way. I say keep him and re-sign him. Btw to those saying it's Philbin and Sherman doing the signing and drafting you're wrong.

Wait,wait a moment. I have been an Ireland supporter for years now. I remember everyone talking bad about him and now everyone is on the Ireland bandwagon? Yes he has made mistakes with drafts but so has everyone. People forget he brought in Wake, Marshall and Dansby. He drafted good players too. People want all his signings and drafts to be spot on. It doesn't work that way. I say keep him and re-sign him. Btw to those saying it's Philbin and Sherman doing the signing and drafting you're wrong.
Its beyond stupid to extend a gm that has one winning season in five under his belt. Lets see what this team does before rewarding failure

Being paid like a top GM, that's laughable.

Let's let him build a team that wins some playoff games, a championship and a Super Bowl. THEN come talk to me about being a top GM.

I really like Ireland this year. I've been commending him the entire offseason. But cooler heads must prevail. Paying someone based on potential or unproven results is not how you reward great work.

To me, he's in a spot in his career we he just saved his job with some masterful moves. But he still has a lot of work to do. We need depth up and down most of the team. We're not devoid of depth, but it's safe to say if a starter goes down we have talent drop in most areas except DLine. I know not every depth player can be a starter, but we still have holes. Not too mention, we have a lot of fresh faces. We need to see how the team chemistry benefits/suffers from all of these moves. Picking talent is one thing, picking the right player is another.

Remember, he almost just lost his job. You can't go from that to being paid like a top GM in one offseason. Especially when you weren't in the playoffs.

Ireland deserves a "let's see" contract. One with built in clauses to reward him if this team wins playoff games, championships or a Super Bowl. I think the concept of "bonus" has been completely lost in today's work environment. When you go above and beyond your pay rate, you deserve a reward. Raising your long term pay scale should be based on success over time.

That said, Ireland needs to be paid like a man who just saved his job by righting the ship and correcting previous mistakes. But until these decisions prove successful, he shouldn't be paid like he's Ozzie Newsome.

Reward results, not hope.

Being paid like a top GM, that's laughable.

Let's let him build a team that wins some playoff games, a championship and a Super Bowl. THEN come talk to me about being a top GM.

I really like Ireland this year. I've been commending him the entire offseason. But cooler heads must prevail. Paying someone based on potential or unproven results is not how you reward great work.

To me, he's in a spot in his career we he just saved his job with some masterful moves. But he still has a lot of work to do. .

Masterful moves like what? And my definition of masterful is something that sets him apart from his peers, for example, extending Jones (after he threatens to hold out) is not masterful, its average GM work at best.

Bona fide masterful GM moves from last year:

1: The Redskins trading the farm for RGIII and drafting Kirk Cousins
2: The Seahawks drafting Russell Wilson in the third
3: The Colts trading a voucher for a good CB with 2 years left on his contract at $1.5 million per year on average. I know Ireland fanboys try to play that off as a win but how many teams go 11-5 with a "cancer" in the locker room? Oh and we went on to have maybe the worst group of CBs in the teams history.

I'd also like to add that we were written off as hopeless before the season began last year as evidenced by Nublar (EVEN NUBLAR!!) predicting we'd have a losing season, that is an unforgivably bad GM job in my book. Just a smidgen of hope the week before any season starts should not be too much to ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom