We now control our own destiny for the #1 pick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We now control our own destiny for the #1 pick

We're sitting on a golden opportunity although Gase will do his best to continue losing and Washington may be without a head coach since he seems like smoking and hanging out with chicks is trumping game prep. We must have the number one two or three will cost us for a decade and God knows we've been there before.

We're sitting on a golden opportunity although Gase will do his best to continue losing and Washington may be without a head coach since he seems like smoking and hanging out with chicks is trumping game prep. We must have the number one two or three will cost us for a decade and God knows we've been there before.

I am just gonna quote this post for an overall greater point.

The first overall pick has been vastly overrated on this site.

Mahomes
Watson
Wilson
Brady
Brees
Rogers

6 best QBs in the NFL, all 6 could of been had with Miami with 10th overall or lower.

Have conviction on a guy first and foremost. Dicking around with Tannehill, should of made a move more Deshaun Watson.

Not having the first overall should not be a decade long death sentence, that narrative is just crazy talk. Most important thing in 2019 is not "tanking", its current roster player/coaching development.

Tua ain't saving this team if the surrounding group doesn't get better.

Having the #1 pick is one thing. Having the FO to do it and surround him with the necessary talent to flourish, is another. It would not shock me at all if we didn't take Tua. I would take him but I'm not 100% convinced that Grier will.

What possessed the Jets to hire Gase in the first place? I never understood that decision or his appeal.
Also, How badly is that team underperforming? Don't they have some serious talent on defense?

Round chere' we call that the Gase special.

To me Tanking is when a team purposely loses. When I watch the Dolphins, I see a young team with the growing pains of learning a new coaching staff and system. I also see a team that is out manned on Sunday's. But yet they've held their own for at least the 1st half of several of their games, before completely falling off the rails. I don't see that as losing on purpose. But back to the thread, yes Miami controls their destiny, but I'm not sure they are an 0-16 team. Which could take them out of the running for the #1 overall pick.

If the Dolphins want to make sure they get the #1 pick, they better find a way to lose this weekend to the Redskins and lose to the Bengals in week 16. It will take a lot for those two teams to win a game looking at their schedules. The Redskins will be playing for a new coach this weekend so maybe they can rally around him for a game.

Mahomes
Watson
Wilson
Brady
Brees
Rogers

6 best QBs in the NFL, all 6 could of been had with Miami with 10th overall or lower.

Have conviction on a guy first and foremost. Dicking around with Tannehill, should of made a move more Deshaun Watson.

Not having the first overall should not be a decade long death sentence, that narrative is just crazy talk. Most important thing in 2019 is not "tanking", its current roster player/coaching development.

I'm going to add to your point in clarify my point. I think the overall first pick is necessary because if we don't need a quarterback or like another quarterback we can trade back for a motherload. If we win 3 meaningless games that could cost us 4 plus draft picks this year or next.
This team is screwed the pooch in more ways than I can mention over the years and I just want them to have all the tools in the chest to do what they feel they need to do. Having the first pick he's going to fill up that tool chest and leave us many options on the table whether it's Tua or not.

I'm going to add to your point in clarify my point. I think the overall first pick is necessary because if we don't need a quarterback or like another quarterback we can trade back for a motherload. If we win 3 meaningless games that could cost us 4 plus draft picks this year or next.
This team is screwed the pooch in more ways than I can mention over the years and I just want them to have all the tools in the chest to do what they feel they need to do. Having the first pick he's going to fill up that tool chest and leave us many options on the table whether it's Tua or not.

I mean if they have first overall, heck top 3, they are taking a QB. I’d argue their best chance at getting the “motherload” is Josh Rosen playing well and a team wants to trade up for that 3rd of the big 3 around 5/6 (as an example). But even then they may take the elite prospect instead of a trade down.

The only way not having #1 really hurts us is if the front office is all in on a guy, i.e. Tua, and they become the team giving up the motherload for him.

Trust me, its not tank for the motherload, if you are tanking, its for the QB, which is fine . . . But there seems to be this misconception that a franchise QB can only be obtained with first overall, when the 6 current best ones were had at pick 10 or later.

IMO the best thing about #1 is also #33 . . . Obviously #1 is better because you get your choice of whatever QB you want, but that #33 pick is as valuable as a midfirst rounder IMO.

Mahomes
Watson
Wilson
Brady
Brees
Rogers

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 28% of Super Bowls have been won by the #1 overall QB pick. You can't make a decision based on outliers or "lucky" picks/free agent signings.

Mahomes I didn't follow in college so I have no idea what was being said about him and why he dropped as far as he did, but I'd imagine playing in that trash conference that doesn't play any defense had something to do with it.
Watson I thought was the best QB in that draft (see Mahomes above) so there's an example of miscalculation by NFL GMs, but none of these not-Tua QBs in the draft look like a Watson caliber steal, although Burrow is climbing.
Wilson was drafted that low because of his height. That isn't a thing anymore so if a Wilson was in the upcoming draft, you're not finding him in the middle rounds anymore since the word is out. He was a complete baller in college.
The Patriots got lucky and everybody knows it.
Brees wasn't that great in college, wasn't that great his first few years, and then all of a sudden blossomed into a beast. That is beyond rare and the pure definition of the word "lucky".
Rodgers is another guy who barely did much in college (2500 yards his junior year that he was drafted) which is why he was passed on by all those teams. 2500 yards to possibly one of the greatest QBs of all-time? I'd call that lucky as well.

While it certainly isn't some death sentence to not get Tua, the fall back plan essentially becomes, "Welp, we have to hope to get lucky now." I don't want to be in that position. I get it, QB evaluation is really hard and I agree with you... we shouldn't have sat there wasting year after year with Tannehill hoping he turns into that guy and we could have had Watson.

If we don't end up with Tua, I'd make my own luck and I'd prioritize QB more than we ever have before and draft one every single year until we hit. Maybe Burrow (don't like how bad Herbert is vs pressure) and then if he hadn't shown glimpses despite starting all season (with a revamped offensive line obviously), then I'd draft another one next year in the first. I'm going to hit eventually and since tons of first round picks bust anyway (see Parker, Minkah, Harris etc), I wouldn't feel guilty about doing so.

We got to pull out all the stops to lose this game on Sunday. Just have to. Im not going through this shitty season to pick the second best QB which is a big drop off from Tua. Fromm is a good prospect. Tua is a great prospect. So work your magic, Flores.

The FO has gone so far to do this that I think the fanbase has fully embraced the tank. They are gonna piss a lot of fans off if they win meaningless games. Reason why I think we see some shady bidness in this game Sunday.

To me Tanking is when a team purposely loses. When I watch the Dolphins, I see a young team with the growing pains of learning a new coaching staff and system. I also see a team that is out manned on Sunday's. But yet they've held their own for at least the 1st half of several of their games, before completely falling off the rails. I don't see that as losing on purpose. But back to the thread, yes Miami controls their destiny, but I'm not sure they are an 0-16 team. Which could take them out of the running for the #1 overall pick.
But your dispelling the owners comments after last season. He all but said this type year was coming and it would get ugly for a while with the hopes of getting much much better one day. They are not actively trying to lose but they are definitely not actively trying to win either. Losing comes much easier as you may have noticed

I mean if they have first overall, heck top 3, they are taking a QB. I’d argue their best chance at getting the “motherload” is Josh Rosen playing well and a team wants to trade up for that 3rd of the big 3 around 5/6 (as an example). But even then they may take the elite prospect instead of a trade down.

The only way not having #1 really hurts us is if the front office is all in on a guy, i.e. Tua, and they become the team giving up the motherload for him.

Trust me, its not tank for the motherload, if you are tanking, its for the QB, which is fine . . . But there seems to be this misconception that a franchise QB can only be obtained with first overall, when the 6 current best ones were had at pick 10 or later.

IMO the best thing about #1 is also #33 . . . Obviously #1 is better because you get your choice of whatever QB you want, but that #33 pick is as valuable as a midfirst rounder IMO.

Yeah, It's almost certain in the next 5 years the #1 and #2 QBs from this class, like most of them, aren't going to be picked in that order.

Mahomes
Watson
Wilson
Brady
Brees
Rogers

Agreed! But you listed those 6 Qbs as no brainer selections. Give me a break with that non-sense.
What about all the other Qbs selected in each of those drafts beyond #10. Where are they?

What you conviently left out is there are a lot more QBs draft after #10 that are bust, no longer in the league vs. those 6 that have been special.

It's not that easy to find them. However the one area where Miami has erred is not selecting a QB every year no matter whos your starter.
Every team should have a philosophy of we're draftin a QB every year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 28% of Super Bowls have been won by the #1 overall QB pick. You can't make a decision based on outliers or "lucky" picks/free agent signings.

Mahomes I didn't follow in college so I have no idea what was being said about him and why he dropped as far as he did, but I'd imagine playing in that trash conference that doesn't play any defense had something to do with it.
Watson I thought was the best QB in that draft (see Mahomes above) so there's an example of miscalculation by NFL GMs, but none of these not-Tua QBs in the draft look like a Watson caliber steal, although Burrow is climbing.
Wilson was drafted that low because of his height. That isn't a thing anymore so if a Wilson was in the upcoming draft, you're not finding him in the middle rounds anymore since the word is out. He was a complete baller in college.
The Patriots got lucky and everybody knows it.
Brees wasn't that great in college, wasn't that great his first few years, and then all of a sudden blossomed into a beast. That is beyond rare and the pure definition of the word "lucky".
Rodgers is another guy who barely did much in college (2500 yards his junior year that he was drafted) which is why he was passed on by all those teams. 2500 yards to possibly one of the greatest QBs of all-time? I'd call that lucky as well.

While it certainly isn't some death sentence to not get Tua, the fall back plan essentially becomes, "Welp, we have to hope to get lucky now." I don't want to be in that position. I get it, QB evaluation is really hard and I agree with you... we shouldn't have sat there wasting year after year with Tannehill hoping he turns into that guy and we could have had Watson.

If we don't end up with Tua, I'd make my own luck and I'd prioritize QB more than we ever have before and draft one every single year until we hit. Maybe Burrow (don't like how bad Herbert is vs pressure) and then if he hadn't shown glimpses despite starting all season (with a revamped offensive line obviously), then I'd draft another one next year in the first. I'm going to hit eventually and since tons of first round picks bust anyway (see Parker, Minkah, Harris etc), I wouldn't feel guilty about doing so.

And half the Super Bowl wins over the last 20 years the QB was selected in round 3 or later.

Take away the “Manning” factor, no other QB won a Super Bowl the last 20 years taken #1 overall.

I am in no way saying #1 overall is a detriment, I am just saying people putting it on a pedastal like that is the key to solving the ineptitude of this franchise of the last 20 years are being short sighted.

Trading for Josh Rosen was the actual first real GM savvy move this team has made at the QB position since drafting Marino 35+ years ago. It may not work out in the end but there is some actual foresight being shown.

Team first and foremost needs to try to develop players and continue improving. If the end result is #1 overall then so be it but this doom and gloom of setting us back a decade is ridiculous. Team has had plenty of chances to pick a proper QB and turn the other way in favor of guys like Fiedler, Feeley, Frerotte, Culpepper, Beck, Henne and Tannehill.

And half the Super Bowl wins over the last 20 years the QB was selected in round 3 or later.

Take away the “Manning” factor, no other QB won a Super Bowl the last 20 years taken #1 overall.

I am in no way saying #1 overall is a detriment, I am just saying people putting it on a pedastal like that is the key to solving the ineptitude of this franchise of the last 20 years are being short sighted.

Trading for Josh Rosen was the actual first real GM savvy move this team has made at the QB position since drafting Marino 35+ years ago. It may not work out in the end but there is some actual foresight being shown.

Team first and foremost needs to try to develop players and continue improving. If the end result is #1 overall then so be it but this doom and gloom of setting us back a decade is ridiculous. Team has had plenty of chances to pick a proper QB and turn the other way in favor of guys like Fiedler, Feeley, Frerotte, Culpepper, Beck, Henne and Tannehill.
And a large chunk of those Super Bowl wins were by a 6th round pick which doesn't actually mean anything at all so don't use that as some basis of argument. That's why you don't cherry pick.

The thing is, the EASIEST way to land the QB is to get the #1 pick and take Tua. That's what people are rooting for. If that doesn't work out, it gets harder, but not impossible. We just need to keep swinging for the fences, like we're doing now, instead of bunting to get on base like we have been doing for the past 20 years at the QB position.

Back
Top Bottom