Weaknesses of 2014 Miami Dolphins | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Weaknesses of 2014 Miami Dolphins

Frankly I think Hickey and crew have put this team in a position where they can afford to look purely at talent over need. Sure, you're going to favor a talented player who also fills a need for you, but if a good guard or MLB comes up but a terrific WR is there, Miami can go for the WR and the talent.

Our weaknesses this year in order of severity: Linebacker Depth, Punt Team, and consistency from the TE position.

Gs, LBs (1 short), and WR corps overall.

The problematic area before Pouncey's return was RG. He's improved there and should be a solid fill going forward, now the biggest hole, at least recently, has been LG...but Colledge's play almost gets a pass for the Jax game (migraines are a motherf***er...I know from experience). Dallas Thomas looked decent back at his natural position filling in for Colledge, but I'd like one "steady, solid" guy for the LG spot to go along with the rest of the line. That would be a very good line.

Misi has been OK when healthy...but that isn't often. Trusnik, ouch. Jenkins, hell ya man! Get it! Like to see more from McCain.

Wallace has improved his game and seems to be playing much better than last year overall...not by any means perfect, but much much better at things other than long-ball. He's still inconsistent in his routes, gamesmanship and separation on set deep plays. Hartline should ride the pine. Landry is killing it, particularly since he's a rookie. Rishard Matthews should see many more snaps/targets...he balls.

Many of the RT haters like to point out the lack of success at the long-ball, and put it ALL on RT. Fact is, he's had SEVERAL long passes on the money that have failed because of a lack of effort, positioning, route execution, and flat out sh*tty hands at the other end of the equation...deep throws heavily rely on 2 people executing, not just the QB. I can think of 7 off-hand without really trying, probably a few more if I went back through the tape, but it's not worth it...I know what I saw...and that is that RT isn't nearly as bad at the long-ball as the "TEAM'S" stats show. RT has missed a few...Wallace has missed a few...Hartline has missed more than anybody else...Sims missed a sure TD. It's not 1 position causing the lack of success there.

I was listening to Greise the other day on Finsiders talking about the long ball. He said that many don't realize that it takes at least 3.5-4 seconds for those plays to develop, and that if the OL does not give you at least that much time to plant your feet and step into the throw, it is not going to work.

I have not seen RT getting that kind of time for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom