Weds 8/17 Media Only Practice Tweets HERE!!! | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Weds 8/17 Media Only Practice Tweets HERE!!!

That's the thing, you never know when it is coming.

You make yourself into a trash-talking brute, you attract the attention of the other team's goon.

Live by the trash, die the same way.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Put Wilkins in the comfy chair.

Guys like Buoniconti are Elandon Roberts today.

You didn't get a lot of pass coverage out of them because you didn't ask it of them. The game has changed.

In that Era, Offerdahl plays OLB or DE. Hell, our DT went 255#.

I think you are selling Bouniconti short, especially in pass defense in Shula's system.

He made 32 career interceptions. To put that into perspective, the most career interceptions by an NFL linebacker is 37.

He was tremendous dropping back into coverage and reading the QB.

I think you are selling Bouniconti short, especially in pass defense in Shula's system.

He made 32 career interceptions. To put that into perspective, the most career interceptions by an NFL linebacker is 37.

He was tremendous dropping back into coverage and reading the QB.
Maybe... but I dont remember his coverage as being particularly tight-- at least, not in the modern sense of running with an athletic TE or RB.
It was a long time ago, but my memory of LB coverage in that era was more like 'drop back and get in the way a bit'.

I could be wrong, but that would just mean Buoniconti was even better than I claimed, and I already said he was better than the others in that era.

Side note: Welker never won a SB ring.
Exactly one more then the Dolphins have had in 50 years - so comparatively speaking he’s been to the summit while we’ve been in the desert…my point was about Skylar and the scam of the media with their money line stories about who can do what In the nfl - all their bullshit on draft day about a wasted pick and he’s too old to play!!! OMG give me a break!!!

Maybe... but I dont remember his coverage as being particularly tight-- at least, not in the modern sense of running with an athletic TE or RB.
It was a long time ago, but my memory of LB coverage in that era was more like 'drop back and get in the way a bit'.

I could be wrong, but that would just mean Buoniconti was even better than I claimed, and I already said he was better than the others in that era.

Yes, different, but he was exceedingly effective in what he did, much, much better than the vast majority of his contemporaries. He picked off passes in the AFC championship and Super Bowl in the undefeated season, as well.

I think to hold against him that he was undeniably great in the way he was schemed is shortsighted. He was dominant against his contemporaries and, if he had the benefits of today's techniques and training, I see no reason to assume he wouldn't have thrived as well.

He had twice as many interceptions as Zach Thomas AND more sacks and they played an almost identical number of games. He was the quarterback of one of the greatest defenses in NFL history, was a regular Pro Bowler for two different teams and a Hall of Famer. To compare him to Elandon Roberts, I think, is a monumental slight.

Yes, different, but he was exceedingly effective in what he did, much, much better than the vast majority of his contemporaries. He picked off passes in the AFC championship and Super Bowl in the undefeated season, as well.

I think to hold against him that he was undeniably great in the way he was schemed is shortsighted. He was dominant against his contemporaries and, if he had the benefits of today's techniques and training, I see no reason to assume he wouldn't have thrived as well.

He had twice as many interceptions as Zach Thomas AND more sacks and they played an almost identical number of games. He was the quarterback of one of the greatest defenses in NFL history, was a regular Pro Bowler for two different teams and a Hall of Famer. To compare him to Elandon Roberts, I think, is a monumental slight.
I dont think his game necessarily translates to this era.

As far as it goes, it my mind, he was a much superior player to Zach, but it would be hard to compare his play to the larger Offerdahl-- who I do not believe would have been a MLB in that era...

I dont think his game necessarily translates to this era.

As far as it goes, it my mind, he was a much superior player to Zach, but it would be hard to compare his play to the larger Offerdahl-- who I do not believe would have been a MLB in that era...

I guess that fair and I don't want this to get to be a long discussion. I just don't know how one can say confidently a particular player's game wouldn't translate into a certain era when they probably wouldn't be the same player if their game evolved in a different era. IMO, you can only do so much of that; beyond that, you only can evaluate them for how they performed in the system and against the competition they had to. And there were players that started out in the Buoniconti era that still were impactful even when the West Coast Offense came into vogue.

Greatness finds a way.

I guess that fair and I don't want this to get to be a long discussion. I just don't know how one can say confidently a particular player's game wouldn't translate into a certain era when they probably wouldn't be the same player if their game evolved in a different era. IMO, you can only do so much of that; beyond that, you only can evaluate them for how they performed in the system and against the competition they had to. And there were players that started out in the Buoniconti era that still were impactful even when the West Coast Offense came into vogue.

Greatness finds a way.
Debating the merits of players from past generations is always tough... then add in injuries and/or the fact that one player played with talented teammates while another did not... and you've reached a point where there are no real answers...

In my humble opinion. Buoniconti > Thomas > Offerdahl... but a probable answer will never be found.

Debating the merits of players from past generations is always tough... then add in injuries and/or the fact that one player played with talented teammates while another did not... and you've reached a point where there are no real answers...

In my humble opinion. Buoniconti > Thomas > Offerdahl... but a probable answer will never be found.

Your opinion is never humble, so the above post is invalid.

Back
Top Bottom