What About GM | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What About GM

I'm on the fence about Hickey, mostly because its just to early to tell. But I will say that if Philbin is fired and we retain Hickey, that Hickey should be paired with a defensive minded HC.

With such a huge thread about a new head coach we need to start with the GM. Will Ross keep Hickey if Philbin goes or will Ross send both packing?

Man, you gotta be kidding me.

Hickey has been great for us so far. He went out and addressed a lot of needs in the offseason, and so far his draft looks pretty damn solid.

Philbin wasn't his choice for HC and Tanny isn't his QB.

If Philbin gets the boot I'm sure Ross will rely heavily on Hickey's input. The GM is, or at least should be, the owner's right hand man. (Unless you're a mico-managing owner like Jerry Jones.)

I understand the "clean house" sentiment, but getting Ireland out was the first step. Give Hickey a chance to build this team.

I'm with Hayden. I like Hickey. He hasn't been perfect but he's done some good work considering what he inherited. 6 draftees (James, Landry, Turner, Aikens, Tripp, Fede) and a whopping 4 undrafteds (McCain, Williams, Darkwa, Johnson) look good. 10 rookies with potential. He did really well with lower investments on late draft picks and the undrafted crop. Even Lynch and Hazel can't be written off. In free agency he got a stud in Albert. Moreno looks good although he was injury prone and got hurt right away. I didn't like the Finnegan move at the time but he's been better than I thought. Mitchell is a pretty good player. He can get stood up against the run but he has a good motor and is active.

Hickey has not been perfect as you don't see much in terms of high end playmakers. There is redundancy in the receiving corps. You wouldn't want to see Trusnik getting base defense snaps. That shouldn't have happened but Misi, Ellerbe, and Tripp were hurt at same time. I would have liked to see Seantrell Henderson or James Hurst brought in as another OT, and i kept harping on it at draft time in real time. I'm also not sure I agree with some of the lack of keepers for specials.

But overall, if you bring in rooks at the rate he did this year on a consistent basis, you could have a good roster. He wasn't perfect but he has a damn hard job. I'd give him a B plus if I'm grading on a curve after seeing Ireland in action as he abused Miami fans.

Despite my positive view, we can't keep bungling every search. If our desired new guy is a high end candidate with leadership traits and doesn't have a good feel for Hickey then we can move on. We shouldn't limit everything by having Hickey in the way which has been a dysfunction with prior searches (getting a coach with Ireland in the way and then getting a gm with Philbie in the way).

We need a high end guy who can take control and lead more than anything. Hickey's existence can't block that from happening.

Well said. I am torn on this issue. We don't know enough about Hickey to have a great conviction either way. IMO this will be a much harder call than Philbin.

Man, you gotta be kidding me.

Hickey has been great for us so far. He went out and addressed a lot of needs in the offseason, and so far his draft looks pretty damn solid.

Philbin wasn't his choice for HC and Tanny isn't his QB.

If Philbin gets the boot I'm sure Ross will rely heavily on Hickey's input. The GM is, or at least should be, the owner's right hand man. (Unless you're a mico-managing owner like Jerry Jones.)

I understand the "clean house" sentiment, but getting Ireland out was the first step. Give Hickey a chance to build this team.

Not kidding on this. I tend to agree with your thoughts about Hickey. However we have been screaming for years now for Ross to start with a clean slate. Just wondering if Hickey stays and Philbin goes how that will effect our HC search. Can Hickey work with any candidate or does Hickey have a vision and find a HC that lines up with his vision. It is a valid concern. I am so torn on this thought. I do like Hickey for his decisions with the team and just because of the good man he appears to be. He is much better than Ireland IMO and I think players would play for him. This will be a big decision for Ross if he fires Philbin.

No matter what we do, lets not play this stupid game of hiring people dependent on keeping this person.
I say bring in a football person like Mart Shottenheimer have shula as a consultant and lets hire a coach and go after what GM they want.
If they want to keep Hickey fine but lets not play the same stupid game Ross has been playing for half a decade

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

No matter what we do, lets not play this stupid game of hiring people dependent on keeping this person.
I say bring in a football person like Mart Shottenheimer have shula as a consultant and lets hire a coach and go after what GM they want.
If they want to keep Hickey fine but lets not play the same stupid game Ross has been playing for half a decade

I would give Hickey at least another year. His pickups have been mired with injuries so far, and that's not his fault. I think a lot of the guys he got show big promise and are playmakers.
More than half of Ireland's pickups look like inconsistent busts. Hickey is definitely a step up and we should let him see if he grows first before canning him and rebuilding all over again.

Aw, ****. LOL

Giving up on a GM just months into his employment. :sidelol: Straight up ****ing stupid. There's no other way to address this absurdity.

With such a huge thread about a new head coach we need to start with the GM. Will Ross keep Hickey if Philbin goes or will Ross send both packing?

It all depends on who we can attract for the HC spot. If we land, let's say, Jim Harbaugh and he doesn't want to work with Hickey, Hickey goes. The worst thing we can do is keep flipping just one piece at a time (HC, GM, HC, GM, HC, GM, and on and on and on) and forcing people with different mindsets to work together.

I've been pleasantly surprised about Hickey. And also relieved we were rejected by Farmer.

My own opinion is that given the hole he was asked to dig out from, he's done a pretty good, but not great job. OTOH, you can say that about most GMs. Considering we'd either be hiring another unproven candidate stepping up to GM or one that's already probably deservedly washed out elsewhere, and that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say, Ross should allow Hickey to hire Philbin's successor if there is to be one. Compared to some other GMs who have gotten props in past years, IMO Hickey's done nothing to forfeit his position.

I'm hoping that if there is indeed a new HC next year, Hickey stays, not by force, but that the HC sees eye-to-eye with him.
Hickey survived many years at Tampa under different coaches and regimes, so he should be able to adapt as good as anyone to a new coaching staff.

If we do end up getting a new GM, I hope it's someone with as extensive of a scouting department resume as Hickey has, or else he may be sorely missed.

I actually think Hickey has been doing a good job as GM. He hasn't given me a reason to say anything negative . He was slow on a couple of signings but other than that solid. When he got hired there were alot of skeptics , but its been business as usual as far as I'm concerned.

I like what Hickey has done so far. I really do. The O'Line's future is bright. Our draft class is contributing more than last years did last year. I have no issue w anything Hickey has done or not done. Finnegan is a little curious to me but he's played ok. Can't fix every hole in one year but he did better than I thought possible. If our QB play was better we'd be 2-1 or 3-0 right now.

It will depend on who we can attract for the Head Coach position. If we can get an upper tier candidate interested, and that person wants to bring in their own GM, Hickey is gone (or reassigned). If we can't get an upper tier candidate, Ross may put the hire in Hickey's hands. Either way, we need a HC/GM combo that is in sync and not fighting about what direction we should be heading.

He has done nothing to turn me off the past few months. Sounds like blind hate to me just because the dude wasn't that A-List hire that everyone on here was hoping for, and in a lot of cases, expecting.

Hickey's record in Tampa was 28-52 which is absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. You don't hire a guy with a record like that.

Back
Top Bottom