What About GM | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What About GM

Sadly, I don't think a top-tier head coaching candidate will accept Hickey staying on as GM. So far, I don't think Hockey has made any major missteps. We won't know about his first draft for another year or two. Albert was a great obvious signing. Delmas & Finnegan...not bad.

I just don't think we can miss out on a top coach because of loyalty to Hickey.

No matter what we do, lets not play this stupid game of hiring people dependent on keeping this person.
I say bring in a football person like Mart Shottenheimer have shula as a consultant and lets hire a coach and go after what GM they want.
If they want to keep Hickey fine but lets not play the same stupid game Ross has been playing for half a decade

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

No matter what we do, lets not play this stupid game of hiring people dependent on keeping this person.
I say bring in a football person like Mart Shottenheimer have shula as a consultant and lets hire a coach and go after what GM they want.
If they want to keep Hickey fine but lets not play the same stupid game Ross has been playing for half a decade

All the bitching you do, and you throw out Marty Schottenheimer? Wow.

As for your Shula theory, he was done when he retired, leave him there. His last football decisions were terrible.

Sadly, I don't think a top-tier head coaching candidate will accept Hickey staying on as GM. So far, I don't think Hockey has made any major missteps. We won't know about his first draft for another year or two. Albert was a great obvious signing. Delmas & Finnegan...not bad.

I just don't think we can miss out on a top coach because of loyalty to Hickey.

Unless it's a czar type head coach who demands all the power (which I personally don't agree with), I'm pretty sure he'll be working for Hickey, not the other way around. That said, Hickey seems like a fairly intelligent guy to work along side with.

This is one the first times in a long time that I have actually seen multiple draft picks making an impact in their first year. James has been very good, Landry has made his mistakes but also made some very nice plays as well and barring injury I believe we would be seeing Turner with playing time at guard and Tripp at linebacker. Fede also showed promise but DL is one of our deepest positions.

This is one the first times in a long time that I have actually seen multiple draft picks making an impact in their first year. James has been very good, Landry has made his mistakes but also made some very nice plays as well and barring injury I believe we would be seeing Turner with playing time at guard and Tripp at linebacker. Fede also showed promise but DL is one of our deepest positions.

Moreno and that o-line he put together won a game for us. Hickey is fine. Philbin is fine. Its that third head that's holding the team back.

All the bitching you do, and you throw out Marty Schottenheimer? Wow.

As for your Shula theory, he was done when he retired, leave him there. His last football decisions were terrible.

So What is wrong with MArty shottenheimer football knowledge wise? He never had a losing record anywhere he went. He is a guy without a big ego like PArcells.
He never won a superbowl but Im not asking him to be the coach, Im sure he knows more about football than Joe Philbin. I said bring in Shula among others as consultants to help pick a new coach.
how many head coaches did Shula make horrible decisions on hiring? Im in favor of a committee of knowledgable people choosing a new coach not sure whats so bad about either idea.
Shotty had a .613 winning percentage as a coach so Im pretty sure his 21 years of coaching would bring some valuable knowledge on football. He would not be the GM he would be in charge of football operations like helping to hire the new coach and giving advice to the owner.
Im sure though it would be much smarter to just let Ross pick another coach or let Hickey a guy who has never been involved in this kind of decision .

Unless it's a czar type head coach who demands all the power (which I personally don't agree with), I'm pretty sure he'll be working for Hickey, not the other way around. That said, Hickey seems like a fairly intelligent guy to work along side with.

Not even Philbin works for Hickey. I went back and checked the details from the press conference introducing Hickey because I remembered this sticking out to me. Ross made it pretty clear that Philbin doesn't report to Hickey and Hickey does not have the authority to fire him. The story actually noted that a few candidates didn't take the job because they were told they wouldn't have the authority to fire Philbin (Caserio and Dawson, I believe). So, I can't imagine a new coach coming in and working FOR Hickey. Maybe a coach could work WITH Hickey, but there is no way a guy like Harbaugh, Cowher, etc. is going to work WITH or FOR Hickey.

Not even Philbin works for Hickey. I went back and checked the details from the press conference introducing Hickey because I remembered this sticking out to me. Ross made it pretty clear that Philbin doesn't report to Hickey and Hickey does not have the authority to fire him. The story actually noted that a few candidates didn't take the job because they were told they wouldn't have the authority to fire Philbin (Caserio and Dawson, I believe). So, I can't imagine a new coach coming in and working FOR Hickey. Maybe a coach could work WITH Hickey, but there is no way a guy like Harbaugh, Cowher, etc. is going to work WITH or FOR Hickey.

If our new hire is contingent on keeping Hickey we are rerunung the same failed fiasco we had before. I have no problem if we keep Hickey although Im far from a fan of his but he better not be the sticking point for the next coach hire.

More on Marty Shottenheimer since a member felt it was such an absurd suggestion.
He hired 3 superbowl winning coaches on his staffs. Mike Mcarthy, Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher.
Cowher was made his defensive coordinator which led to his job with the Steelers.
Not to say I want Cowher but with Shottenheimers contacts and experience he would have a lot more inside info on hiring a coach than a guy that is his first GM job or Stephen Ross.
Some people want Cowher and if you did, Im sure Shottenheimer would be a lot more convincing than most.
I just want to be relevant and compete and not sure how Shottenheimer in that type of role would be a bad thing or using a committee with Shottenheimer, Shula and whomever else to choose our next coach.

Back
Top Bottom